[Vampire: The Masquerade] 5th Edition

theliel

Fan of Many Things
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Wasn't claiming they were.
But, you are kinda wrong there. (I'm gonna hate myself for being such a stickler for facts)
V20's supplements and POD versions were made by OPP, but the big, huge, leatherbound Deluxe edition publication that contained said paintings was the made *before* OPP was announced. It was made for the Grand Masquerade of 2011, whereas OPP was founded in 2012. Granted, the authors from this publication went on to doing OPP stuff. (And reading it... there's even a few lines from Martin in the foreword...).
Thus, these two crews were still working at the same company WhiteWolf/CCP.

But really, it's not worth going into a debate approaching Scotsman-territory.
We're dealing with a series of fanggames here, not the Holy Grail.
[Comic Book Guy Voice]Actually, the preferred term is Elfgame, thank you very much.[/Comic Book Guy Voice]

But yes, V20 was the swan song for OG White Wolf, at least in name. It was in the dark days before Kickstarter, so had to be funded with pre-orders, and WW totally thought they'd make just enough for a print run & call it a night - on the heels of Massive Layoffs, Round 1! - even getting Justin Achilli back to do some work on it.

Then Black October happened, and the place all but shuttered, with Rich picking up the pieces and keeping the gamelines going.

Dalerik

Preaching Gaming Anarchy
Validated User
I kinda love you for pulling out the CBG voice.
That book was hard to get a hold off here in Denmark. The Danish community got a shipment to a single store, and that crate was delayed so long that we thought it had been sent to China

FrivYeti

Yeti On The Lam!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So. Maybe pitch this to the Wolf? According to them, they're willing to spread their wings a bit.
I don't think it would work at this point.

The thing is, that kind of plan would require a bare minimum of one sourcebook a year, and would probably require at least 2-3 sourcebooks a year to really function. Otherwise, it's just The Transylvania Chronicles 2: Transylvania Harder (which I'm not opposed to, that was a pretty cool chronicle idea.)

So in order to do that, what you need is

(a) A game developer going all-in on setting up a 130-year setting plan for the World of Darkness.
(b) A whole lot of writers being wrangled to write the sourcebooks.
(c) No modern metaplot unfolding at the same time.

So basically it would be pitching a White Wolf AU to White Wolf at the same time as their main story was going.

theliel

Fan of Many Things
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I don't think it would work at this point.

The thing is, that kind of plan would require a bare minimum of one sourcebook a year, and would probably require at least 2-3 sourcebooks a year to really function. Otherwise, it's just The Transylvania Chronicles 2: Transylvania Harder (which I'm not opposed to, that was a pretty cool chronicle idea.)

So in order to do that, what you need is

(a) A game developer going all-in on setting up a 130-year setting plan for the World of Darkness.
(b) A whole lot of writers being wrangled to write the sourcebooks.
(c) No modern metaplot unfolding at the same time.

So basically it would be pitching a White Wolf AU to White Wolf at the same time as their main story was going.
[Puts on Project Manager hat]
To get it to really work you needed to start last year with 3 teams (for the first three decades), each with freelancers & experts of the particular decade running a nice thick book.
You release a 'core' decade book, then supplemental books for each sect (2-3) and some fiction tie in novels.
All of that is 12-18 months of lead time.

Now you can do this, but you need something like the King in Yellow, which is taking..about that much time for one release.
Now you need 2 more in the pipeline everytime, with the understanding that the first few are going to be rough until you figure out the format.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
[Comic Book Guy Voice]Actually, the preferred term is Elfgame, thank you very much.[/Comic Book Guy Voice]

But yes, V20 was the swan song for OG White Wolf, at least in name. It was in the dark days before Kickstarter, so had to be funded with pre-orders, and WW totally thought they'd make just enough for a print run & call it a night - on the heels of Massive Layoffs, Round 1! - even getting Justin Achilli back to do some work on it.

Then Black October happened, and the place all but shuttered, with Rich picking up the pieces and keeping the gamelines going.
I kinda love you for pulling out the CBG voice.
That book was hard to get a hold off here in Denmark. The Danish community got a shipment to a single store, and that crate was delayed so long that we thought it had been sent to China
Ah, good points all. Easy to forget given those were around the days of WW being almost entirely cannibalized by CCP, and I think my brain got V20 and V5 confused long enough to post. I'm still rankled by the stuff mentioned in the documentary, I think.

Teylen

Validated User
Re: Vampire, 5th Edition

Unless I missed it somewhere, did anyone get to play V5 at gen con? What are the reviews and opinions?
I got to play V5 at GenCon at Saturday 8pm.
The Wreckin' Crew provided 7 ready-made character, which invited the players to do some quick relationship mapping and the characters given were quite competent. The scenario was focused on the cover-up of someone else's Masquerade breach in the working and the basic system, combat system and hunger system were used. The humanity system wasn't used in my group due to time constraint.
The group I played in apparently did some things no other groups before us did, we had fun, and the whole scenario ended with a big (successful) action piece.
I did like it greatly, and if I haven't had returned with a mean concrud, I would have ran the scenario on a German convention.
I will likely gm it for an online group.
Thus it can be said that I found it very engaging and the system quite cool.

I did as well attend the 2nd GenCon Panel of Onyx Path and the Panel from White Wolf.
As well as "Auntie Lisa's story hour" because VtM was mentioned in the description ... and thus I came to the surprising realization that White Wolfs beginnings had a female person among their creators and that "auntie Lisa" apparently (co-?)owns Paizo. I do consider both facts positive.

Since GenCon I played 3 consecutive few-shots of V5.
The city of choice is New Orleans and we are playing a bunch of childer level characters in Tremé. Who are not part of the Camarilla, that claims the Quarter, CBD and other nicer parts, not really parts of the Anarchs. Yet, mostly quite very Anarch leaning and busy with trying to get Tremé back in shape and themselve etablished.
Plots so for included:
First session: Getting rid of the drug "fury", which made people lethargic and vampires who drank of them aggressive and prone to frenzy. It got produced and distributed by an SI adjenct monk, whom we murdered and then fled the scene.
Second session: The power-vacuum saw another coterie attempting to move in as well as some mortal crime lord. We basically flopped around the mortal crime lord while interjecting the other coterie during a drug trade (social/physical combat). The attempt to reason with the other coterie, who set up drug production of their own and ruined our tags, didn't bode well but didn't escalate.
Third session: We learned that the FBI was in town (thanks to a hunger related murder) and decided to scout out the drug den. When encountering the FBI agent, who proved to be after the disappearance of guy from session 1, and might be monk-adjenct, my character learned that old money can be freaking hurt full, yet decided against just murdering the guy (which she let him know), for which she got a calling card and option to cooperate. Then we went to find and attack the drug den, including a battle with a vampire and caused havoc.

It went notably faster then previous editions of the game, specially combat.
The hunger mechanics were cool, though the compulsions were a bit taxing.
Our coterie are "champions", though we only went for type, and not into the detailed creation, which does work so far better than our last V20 coterie.
We had some problems with the characters feeling incompetent, yet that got fixed around session three.
The XP are kind of lacking (currently 8), but it could be worse. It's of note that one can use the distribution system to build characters of subpar competence ^^;
Overall, play went reaaally fluid.
The humanity system did as well work well. We are using the humanist tenets and up to three convictions/touchstones per char.

So far... there has been only one other actual play report in this thread? (I try to read it all)

Uthred

Nature's critical miss
Validated User
Re: Vampire, 5th Edition

At this point @Uthred i dont know what metric we are "obligated" to follow and have "validity" for many of us not liking either Dracula as proffesional, his product (V5) and his role in NuWW.
"We" who? I'm not sure how useful it is to create a false "Us vs Them" divide. The only time I mentioned using a metric was when responding to one specific poster and it was about determining the wisdom of placing Martin Ericsson in charge of the project. I never said anyone was obligated to do anything nor did I question the validity of anyones opinion. Perhaps you could limit yourself to responding to things I have actually written as opposed to the fiction you are constructing in your head? Also why do you insist on not using his actual name?

Top Bottom