• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Vampire: The Masquerade] 5th Edition

Michael K

Social Justice Dragon
Validated User
Re: Vampire, 5th Edition

I think we should probably find out if Jenna actually cares before roping her into part of what is looking to become a substantial industry brouhaha.
That is a very good point. Although I think no matter the future of nuWW and their products, acknowledging "this good idea wasn't actually our idea at all, we merely took it and ran with it; original design..." wouldn't tarnish Jenna in any form. Still, asking for her opinion would be prudent; for all we know, someone at nuWW may have done so and what we see is the result of that conversation.

Elvish Lore

Hello!
Validated User

Loresheets were a distinctive design element and bad on the Vampire publishers for not acknowledging that Jenna came up with them.

It's a professional courtesy and another strike against this game.

As I said higher in thread, I'm a fan of what I'm reading, I'm not sitting here trying to tear down the game.

theliel

Fan of Many Things
RPGnet Member
Validated User

BP as in Blood Potency?
Yeah. Solves the "overnight methuselah" problem of yore.
Now newly embraced vampires are much closer in power with a maximum blood potency based on generation.

It's not a bad idea, but it's very requiem.

And yeah, it appears NuWW wanted the "daily struggle to survive" of requiem with the masquerade world.

Again, not sure who the audience is. Requiem players don't generally want the OWoD metaplot, and masquerade players want the vampire politics, city sieges, and grand dance that V5 re moved when they culled the elders

MarkK

Validated User

So V5 comes full circle to a set up very similar to V1 just in the 2010s instead of the late 80s/early 90s and I, personally like this stripped to the bones, street level setting. What new things they have introduced to make that possible I like for the most part but I can understand why people don't like these creative choices and the rules that support them. That's the good thing about having a plurality of settings/systems available digitally - everyone can choose their favorite and run it.
I see this statement come up a lot in response to criticism of V5, and my response tends to be, what if they wanted to play? Not everyone wants to or is even good at, or more importantly comfortable with running games. "Well so long as you're the one running you can still do the Vampire you wanted" is not really the solution people seem to believe it is.

It also kinda sucks that NuWhiteWolf said the game would support a bunch of playstyles and the book pretty clearly just reinforces the one, right down to its mechanics. It's a game with a very specific focus, and the people who aren't into that focus are mostly left out in the cold.

Last edited:

Catulle

Black Rabbit of Inle
Validated User

Again, not sure who the audience is. Requiem players don't generally want the OWoD metaplot, and masquerade players want the vampire politics, city sieges, and grand dance that V5 re moved when they culled the elders
*waves*

That's actually a really appealing combination, given my feeling that the NWoD mechanics have been generally going backwards re my preferences.

And, please, "very Requiem" as if that game wasn't founded on Masquerade to begin with. I'm all for dialectic improvement on both fronts: we can only benefit!

Glitterbomber

Validated User

I see this statement come up a lot in response to criticism of V5, and my response tends to be, what if they wanted to play? Not everyone wants to or is even good at running games. "Well so long as you're the one running you can still do the Vampire you wanted" is not really the solution people seem to believe it is.

It also kinda sucks that NuWhiteWolf said the game would support a bunch of playstyles and the book pretty clearly just reinforces the one, right down to its mechanics. It's a game with a very specific focus, and the people who aren't into that focus are mostly left out in the cold.
Yea the problem is they sold it on 'actually you can play this any way you like, it's a very modular kinda system' and instead we got...V1 but with a time period change and some slightly refined but also at times skeevy mechanics?

Sonsaku

Draconian GM on TBP
Validated User

Personally the second inquisition is "wont buy" issue for me. Its seems aimed at "those players" who complain that the masquerade doesnt make sense in modern setup. And who normally also has this fixture on the goverment as this monolithic omnipresent thing and if i wanna play roswell conspiracy, i play Delta Green.

Nicias

Validated User

A bunch of particular choices aside, I suspect they'll more or less succeed at creating their own new edition of Vampire, very nearly the way they want it.

I am less sure that several of the traits displayed here - rushing to market, avoiding retcons or resets of the canon (religiously so!), the apparent overriding influence of a core swedish brain trust over their (super qualified!) contractors - bode at all well for their transmedia aspirations. The RPG will do fine. The video game(s) will probably be idiosyncratic but neat. It's the fiction and visual media and so forth that seems likely to struggle.

Devil's Avocado

Validated User

About those Loresheets.... hmmm. As some people may recall (it's been a while) I co-wrote/developed a game called Weapons of the Gods back in 2005 (yep, 13 years ago). I have fond memories of that game, though it is long out of print at this point.

The thing that is puzzling to me is that when I looked over the preview (I've played the game, though Mage: The Ascension was always my first love in the WoD) and I noticed something peculiar.

The final pages of the preview are dedicated to Loresheets - a mechanic that Jenna Moran devised for WotG. The name caught my eye, but the actual structure - that of buying pieces of the history and background with corresponding character/game effects by spending background points - is pretty similar verging to identical to that of WotG.

Now, I am not annoyed by this - WotG's day is long done, and if it's remembered in other games as an influence, that's hardly a bad thing - but I wouldn't mind Jenna getting noted in the credits, given that she came up with them and all.
Are you sure on that? Unmasqued was using Lore Sheets and they ran from 2002 - 2011. Omega LRP in the UK was definitely using them and they ran from 1998-2003. I think they're a pretty standard thing in LARP. I haven't read WoTG though, so it's possible they're used in a specific way they weren't used previously.

Top Bottom