[Venting] Rraaaarrrgh, if you are at the table play, if you don't want to play don't turn up!

Bruder_Wen

The Cunning Geek
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So a little background: The player in question is having a strop because of the club AGM at the weekend. Due to us being offered discounts at certain shops we have decided we need membership cards. Though he wasn't asked to, indeed he was specifically told to wait because he didn't have the current artwork, he decided to design the new cards. His designs were critiqued, which did not go down well.

Tonight we had a minor disaster with our GMs, due to an outbreak of flu. Everyone was made aware of this well before the games and that we would be running a couple of one shots, amalgamating three groups into two for the evening.

Despite this M turned up, with a laptop, tablet and his mobile phone. Since none of these were needed for the one shot, someone asked why M had them and was gruffly told so he could work and game at the same time. Turns out that for an hour and a half M sat staring at his laptop, swearing at the screen and ignoring basic questions from the GM, like "what's your character's name." The icing on the cake was that he made three phone calls at the table, making no effort to step away.

I hadn't been involved with the AGM debacle, actually no one at the table had disagreed with his designs. The level of disrespect shown towards us made me fume. Since it wasn't my game I didn't feel it was my place to ask M what the hell he was playing at. M is our Membership Secretary and liaison with the hall we rent, so it makes it difficult to tell him to sling his hook. While this is the worst example of his it is a symptom of a trend. He turns up late, and then immediately goes out to get food. When he gets back he only ever partially pays attention to the game. I am not sure why he carries on coming and he is a drain on any game he is in. As I said he is the liaison with the hall we use (he is now a member of the hall committee), so expelling him will be problematic. And yes in the past we have tried to discuss his behaviour, it is answered with angry denials.

Numanoid

#rocksteadyrollhard
Validated User
Maybe it’s time for the committee to lay down some new rules about not using designated public play tables as your personal office space.

Stattick

Electronic Thing
Validated User
Time to dissolve the group and reform it without M. Or if that isn't an option for some reason, find a new group to play with that isn't being poisoned by M.

Bruder_Wen

The Cunning Geek
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Time to dissolve the group and reform it without M. Or if that isn't an option for some reason, find a new group to play with that isn't being poisoned by M.
The thing is that the group has been running since 1984, though the membership has changed somewhat since then (I joined in 1990). Currently we are running 5 games Monday night and have an average attendance of 25-30 players per week (technically we could reach 35 if everyone turned up). It is the reason we use the hall, no where else is large enough to host the group. M is one of four members of the group that is also now a member of the committee of the hall, sadly he is the treasurer of the hall (not the business he was doing last night that was organising cover for the Sea Scouts, another thing he is a member of).

Dissolving the group would be a major headache, including what to do with the £300 we currently have in the bank account, which I run. At the moment that money is to cover rent and buy books, dice, maps, bags etc for the group. Really at this point our options are 1) ignore him the best we can or 2) Kick him out of the group entirely. We've done opton 2 in the past, but as I said could cause us problems.

Bruder_Wen

The Cunning Geek
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Maybe it’s time for the committee to lay down some new rules about not using designated public play tables as your personal office space.
That may well be the option we go down. I'm the Table Top Coordinator for the group (we also run a LARP system with about 150 members, so we recently solidified that the two parts are equal but separate), so I might raise this with the rest of the committee.

Octiron

Pariah
Validated User
If I was a player and a fellow player did work and took calls at the table, I would not show up again.

I understand that your position is far more complicated and sympathize, however.

Bruder_Wen

The Cunning Geek
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So slight update, I have agreed a Code of Conduct, which should stop this kind of thing in the future.

FrivYeti

Yeti On The Lam!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
If I was a player and a fellow player did work and took calls at the table, I would not show up again.

I understand that your position is far more complicated and sympathize, however.
If I was a player and a fellow player took a call at the table, I would politely tell him when he hung up to please leave the table if he needed to get some work done.

If he did it again in the same session, I would deliberately interrupt his call as loudly and rudely as possible, probably by pretending to be a really drunk person he was at the bar drinking with.

Top Bottom