[Venting] Rraaaarrrgh, if you are at the table play, if you don't want to play don't turn up!

HDimagination

Building something out of Scrap
Validated User
Take it from me, the best time to have rules is before you need them. The comitee (or certain members of it) of my local gaming club banned some-one from attending a few years ago, but they didn't actually have anything like a constitution or code of conduct to justify it, and the firestorm of drama caused a massive rift in the community that still effects the club's reputation to this day. If you feel like you want a story how bad this sort of thing can get, I'm happy to tell it...

Timon

Unabashed optimist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I would have a catch-all rule that any behaviour that the GM considers disturbing attracts a warning and then exclusion from the table. You cannot predict what people can get up to and it is fundamentally the GMs call.

Amberpup

Validated User
Likely the Hall has it's own rules, so I might put something about following them as well. Our club always had a easier time re-renting places when we showed a active interest keeping our members and guests observing the rules.

Amberpup

Validated User
Mostly the rule that got broken in our club was showing-up intoxicated, which got one put back out on the street. But then, we were in a business and the store owner had liability concerns.

For phones and other gear, it mostly depends on the person for me. I know folks that use their open laptops for good and we never have a problem while others log-on to some online game when there isn't a battle going on. Stepping away from the table for long calls is encouraged and appreciated, but just a short call to check on a sick kid shouldn't get the war act read to them. Heck, some days I find people searching through game books collections at the table just as annoying.

Bruder_Wen

The Cunning Geek
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So far we've not had a problem with drinking at the club. Hardly anyone drinks at the hall, if they do it is one can of beer.

I also don't have an issue with devices at the table. There's a couple of people who sometimes play games on their phones when it isn't their turn, which some find annoying, especially when they aren't paying any attention and don't realise it is actually their go. Also a couple of the older GM's don't like devices at the table, so it is for their benefit....though I don't think it will get used, well unless M starts doing his admin at the table again.

HDimagination

Building something out of Scrap
Validated User
I also don't have an issue with devices at the table. There's a couple of people who sometimes play games on their phones when it isn't their turn, which some find annoying, especially when they aren't paying any attention and don't realise it is actually their go. Also a couple of the older GM's don't like devices at the table, so it is for their benefit....though I don't think it will get used, well unless M starts doing his admin at the table again.
Don't give him the ammunition that 'Dave was on his phone in that game, and no-one told him off... why is it a problem when I do it?'

If you're going to make it a rule, you can't fudge it, or only use it on some people. It's got to apply to every-one, or you're opening yourself up to accusations of victimisation.

Timon

Unabashed optimist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It's got to apply to every-one, or you're opening yourself up to accusations of victimisation
Absolutely. You are making a general rule to curb the unacceptable behavior of a specific individual. That's fine as long as it IS a general rule and applied even-handedly.

Bruder_Wen

The Cunning Geek
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Oh the rules will be applied to everyone. We won't be banning devices completely, because some use tablets to hold their character sheets. Personally I will be banning electronic dice rollers from my table, but that's a personal bias of wanting to be able to see the results.

Top Bottom