• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Vermintide II] Now with extra Chaos

Guvmint Helper

Starbelly Geek
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yes, Dark Omens is tough. Everyone's still learning to deal with beastmen (and they may need a bit of tuning), and the map has a lot of features similar to those in Athel Yenlui (wide broken ground areas, steep slopes, narrow trenches). The end events across all maps are very challenging now, and I don't have a solid feel yet for whether Dark Omens is harder there than most of the others.

Base game is very cheap on Steam right now, by the way. Like US$9. With the base game, you can play the new map content other than Weaves as long as the host has the DLC.

Guvmint Helper

Starbelly Geek
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I would really like to complete some weaves, but the matchmaking is weak right now. If anyone is interested in going through early weaves, let me know. I'm Starbelly Geek on steam.

Montegris

Mostly lurking
Validated User
I will be back online and playing on monday (just on holidays these days). I should be online reasonably often after that.

Guvmint Helper

Starbelly Geek
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Well, I'm not home from work weekdays until midnight UTC, so it'd be late for any EU players, but three can reasonably expect to complete early weaves if we can sync up.

edit: I have officially seen my first "this game is too easy, cataclysm is too easy" post. It's like sighting a rare species of vulture.

Last edited:

StreetBushido

Validated User
I've had two successful attempts at Dark Omens now. Both were played on Champion. In both cases it was down to basically a sole Ironbreaker holding out until they could destroy enough banners for the meteor to explode and kill all the enemies, including the event-spawned Minotaur. The first time the Ironbreaker was a random that managed to take basically zero damage. The other time I was that Ironbreaker.

That ending event is nuts. It needs a lot of tuning, if you ask me.

Guvmint Helper

Starbelly Geek
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Mostly a numbers thing, I think. There are strategies that help a lot on that event.
First, get the group out of the trench quickly - don't fight trailing adds, but get everyone out and kill the first banner as soon as possible after it's planted.
Second, stick together, and have some people devoted primarily to staggering everything in sight. Otherwise the bestigors will become overwhelming.
Third, you don't have to kill the minotaur. If the person being attacked by the minotaur can dodge and kite a little while everyone else ploughs through the horde and takes down the banners, the minotaur dies with the rest when the last banner falls.
Also handy to have some bombs saved for that event.

But beastmen do come in heavy numbers. They changed up the timing on that final event in one of the later patches, reducing the time between banner bearers. They may need to find a middle ground between the initial set-up (which tended to have some empty time between banners) and the current set-up (which seems to just pile a continuous, enormous wave of gors, bestigors, and banners).

I've been getting into battle wizard with a burn damage/lingering flames set-up this last weekend, and I'm intrigued to try it out with conflagration staff against that map. So many pick-up groups die on that map before getting to the final event...

StreetBushido

Validated User
You know what I'm sick of? Elitism in online games. Including Vermintide 2.

I've been in a bit of a gaming slump recently. Nothing has really been tickling my fancy. I've started games only to shut them down a few minutes later.

A short while ago (as in less than an hour ago at the time of writing this) I decided to play a game of Vermintide 2. The visceral combat is always satisfying and I could get some levelling done on my Kerillian. I'm trying to kill two rats with one halberd by going through all the Helmgart levels on Champion as Kerillian's Handmaiden Career to 1) level her up and 2) unlock her Champion skin.

My Kerillian is currently pretty low level, sitting at about 16-17 right now. And I'm pretty risk averse: I prefer to complete a mission than to complete it with the added risk of carrying all the books, especially the Grimoires. Now to be clear, I'm decent enough at the game to complete levels on Champion even with a low level character. I've done it before. But a part of pulling that off is risk management.

I start up a game as a host (as no game could be found) and asked the random players if it would be alright to maybe not get all the books. Maybe skip 1 grim? I've seen too many wipes due to overambition.

The response? I should probably not be playing Champion. And I should never play on Legend or Cataclysm. Champion is baby's first difficulty level, you see. It's for relaxing and blowing off steam. Not for, you know, actually playing the game as real gamers do.

I have two friends with which I occasionally play Vermintide 2. We've successfully and multiple times cleared out all of the currently available maps on Champion with a variety of characters. Our one attempt at Legend ended less than five minutes in.

So what people are telling me (and I've seen it on this forum as well) is that the challenge level that feels right for me and my friends isn't really playing the game. It's just... a part of an extended tutorial.

I wasn't forcing those randoms to play on Champion. They were matchmaking at that difficulty! And if they're that keen on farming Emperor's Suitcases or whatever shouldn't they be playing on the real difficulties of Legend and Cataclysm? You know, to get those juicy red drops so they can finally play the game.

And what really gets my goat (gor?) is how it often seems as if online games are patched, tuned and tweaked according to the desires, complaints and feedback of the most elite players. What about the rest of us?

Whatever.

Here's to never playing with randoms again.

Montegris

Mostly lurking
Validated User
The amount of assholes in veteran/champion is far higher than in Legend, for what I hear. As always, hit some of us up to play. We'll make sure to help you out, and Champion should be manageable even with cross-oceanic ping.

Guvmint Helper

Starbelly Geek
RPGnet Member
Validated User
These days in the US, veteran is the venue for newer players, and champion runs are a mix of people for whom that's their comfort level and people who are leveling other characters. I rarely run into vocal elitists.
I like where champion is right now after 2. It's challenging enough that if you're not paying attention a wipe can happen in seconds, but not so hard that you have to be a hyper-attuned 1337 player of games to be feel competent. Had a level 1 elf join a run a couple of nights ago, but our wipe was just a legit confluence of a chaos spawn hitting as we approached the third tome and were a little spread out, coupled with a horde and a couple of disablers, not the fault of a level 1 character being part of the group.

Top Bottom