[Video Review and Essays] Web Reviews VII: The Youtube Awakens

CaButler

Validated User
I thought this would be interesting for us Anime fans, but Gigguk decides to talk about the Anime brand. Specifically, how the word evolved from being about Japanese Animation to something that encompasses a global market.

It's an interesting video that discusses a number of things, including a comparison between some non-Japanese anime and their reactions from the fandom.

Coyote's Own

RPG.net's friendly neighborhood Nuwisha.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
First Renegade Cut post what Leon descibed as a soft reboot

Spoiler: Show

With Bond.
Saying that Bond is a misogynistic agent of imperialism who has an anti-intellectual bent, is anything groundbreaking, it generally well constructed.

Coyote's Own

RPG.net's friendly neighborhood Nuwisha.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
And Chuck has his march schedule

7-15 Mar • OFF
16-Mar • Remember
18-Mar • Babylon 5: Revelations
19-Mar • Babylon 5: The Geometry of Shadows
20-Mar • Babylon 5: A Distant Star
23-Mar • Fusion
25-Mar • Kino's Journey 9
27-Mar • Full Moon Block 4
30-Mar • Lost Room 1

We're back to filling to with Sheridan's early episodes.
And finshing Full Moon, along with reviewing Unknown Armies: The TV mini-series.

But most of all "Land of Books -Nothing Is Written!-"
Yeah I waited quite some time for this.
Maybe Chuck will be able to figure what exactly happened in this episode because I for sure couldn't,

Isator Levie

Validated User
It's always interesting to me to see instances of Lindsay referring to having half-assed the original spate of videos. Not because I disagree, but because of how I recall finding something distinct and compelling in her style even when she was half-assing it. I think it speaks to how there was always a real talent there, that one could see flashes of beneath the snark whenever she was touching on something that was real to her. It made her stand out in a way I could not have defined at the time, a way that made me very happy when she came back from a lengthy absence very early on in it to do more videos.

I've heard at times that there were people who complained somewhat when she started shifting away from the constraints of the "Nostalgia Chick" mandate, and I remember any time that I did thinking about how ludicrous that was, because to me that only ever looked more and more like finding her way towards a real passion. We were seeing her evolve into somebody more unique and genuine and insightful and informative right before our eyes, and you people want her to stay in her lane?

It is a neverending delight for me to see the producer, the artist, the scholar that she is today.

Isator Levie

Validated User
Nitro Rad is a guy who mostly reviews 3D platforming games, particularly on the Nintendo 64. He occasionally branches out into other stuff, like the Clock Tower series.

Here's his latest video, reviewing Bomberman Hero on N64.

Isator Levie

Validated User
Fucking YouTube.

Anyway, here's Linkara doing a Patreon sponsored review of the first four issues of a Darkwing Duck comic series.

Count_Zero

Game Master
Validated User
Fucking YouTube.
And considering the clip that merited the takedown notice was under 15 seconds long - that means it was a manual notice, and not an automated strike. There really needs to be a chance in how Fair Use works where a copyright holder has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that something is not fair use, instead of basically the other way around. Otherwise it's way too easy for corporations who can afford a lot of lawyers to shut down criticism that doesn't fit their narrative through expensive litigation that independent critics cannot afford.

Top Bottom