• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[VLTTP] Sailor Moon

Nerik the Red

Validated User
Having watched the more recent Symphogear (only season 1 so far), and not quite so recent Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha (first 3 seasons), and having found Shadowjack's WIW threads (via his Nanoha thread), I decided to watch this (I think it was the 'teen superheros defeat a baddie by RUNNING HIM OVER WITH A JET AIRLINER!!!:eek::D:cool:) (and may have binged just a bit).

Now I had seen a few episodes previously (back when I had cable, so pre-2003) of the old dub, I'll mention these in passing.

This will be a bit 'thread of consciousness'... Also, I should have posted this weeks ago...

[HR][/HR]
Season 1

Opening - starts pretty sinister - clouldy night over (what I assume is) Tokyo - the beginning of the opening theme sounds like a tolling bell :eek:
Actual opening gives me a '60's superhero/spy vibe' for some reason.
Opening does spoil that there will be more Sailors.
Our hero waking up in the morning... I'm like that!

That poor cat!

Early cameo for Sailor V (as a video game) (how come no-one ever asks the obvious question here) ;)

Tuxedo Mask: "Crying doesn't help"
Sailor Moon: <proceeds to prove him wrong>

Usagi's introduction ends with 'I'm sure everything will be fine'... err... I might have been a bit spoiled on this... I kept mentally adding the word '..eventually'.
Also, she refers to herself as a 'superhero' (at least in the subtitles).

I'm going to re-name the moon tiara to 'death frisbee'.
...on that subject - is it thought guided?

The first episode that I remember seeing previously was Episode 4 - mostly because 'teen superhero forced to hero at claw-point by an angry cat' is hard to forget.
I think the 'Sailor' power package comes with built-in martial arts skills.

The sub I'm watch uses colour coded subtitles for the Sailors (and Luna), (and scary font for the Dark Kingdom characters), which means that even if I didn't know who Ami was (and didn't recognise her from the opening), the fact that she speaks in blue is a bit of a giveaway.
Ami is taller that I was expecting (Usagi is the short one in this bunch) (if we don't count Luna).

The second episode I remember from previously was Episode 9 - notably, the bit where Luna summons a magic palmtop computer, and Sailor Moon imaging getting aged up (a lot).

Episode 10: we get two new sailors in three episodes!

Episode 21 - Hiromi: "...and in the last scene the hero dies! It's what modern audiences want."
Me: "err... isn't this show (in universe) based on a real person..."
"...also, I've been spoiled a bit, she'll be fine for another 24 episodes..."
"..."
"...you MAGNIFICENT. EVIL. BASTARDS!"

Episode 25: If the trailer at the end of episode 24 hadn't given it away, Makoto's use of green subtitles would.

Episode 27: New opening (which is a bit spoilery), and new closing (which is VERY spoilery).

Episode 33: Enter Sailor V(enus)... and a new cat, Artemis! Minako speaks in gold which should not be confused with Usagi who speaks in yellow or Luna who speaks in darker yellow.

Episode 37: ok, maybe the death frisbee isn't thought guided - Usagi is just that good with a frisbee.

The finale (which I consider episodes 44-46)...
...oh, boy!
...yes, I'm going to call that 'sticking the landing'.

Nerik the Red

Validated User
Ok, after watching season 1, I decided to read...

Codename: Sailor V
(ok, a fan-sub - but I did order the official translation)
I'm now thinking that maybe Artemis gets it worse!

But why is her sky-palace called Magellan? (given that it probably pre-dates Ferdinand Magellan by an aeon or two).

But the background elements imply that the whole inner solar system was inhabited...

...where did everyone go!

Now season 1 of the anime establishes that this is a world with supernatural elements (even not counting the Sailors and the Dark Kingdom) - psychics exist, so do ghosts.

Did the 20th centuries space programs find ancient ruins on, well, every planet they've looked at?
...or not?

...or maybe the inhabited worlds are still inhabited...

...they're just hiding...

...from the Earth.

I personally like the idea of an Apollo luna rover crossing a rise and stopping as the astronauts gaze upon the ruins of a Silver Millennium city. Or Opportunity roving through the streets of a long-abandoned martian town.
[HR][/HR]
I also noticed that attack calls are in English...
...I have an idea about that.

Bag of Magic Food

Still captured by Lothor
Validated User
Now I had seen a few episodes previously (back when I had cable, so pre-2003) of the old dub, I'll mention these in passing.
I'm pretty sure I caught the start of episode 19 on TV because I remembered it opening with some bad guy talking about Tuxedo Mask a lot. Recently I deduced another episode of the third season I may have seen on Toonami!

Also, she refers to herself as a 'superhero' (at least in the subtitles).
I checked a couple of subbed episodes to see this, and one version of the introduction used "superhero," while another used "crime fighter." Actually, I think I heard that these could be substitutions for the more literal translation of "ally of justice."

I'm going to re-name the moon tiara to 'death frisbee'.
I have read that it was originally called a Frisbee, so right on! Apparently the manga has it transform into a chakram, whereas when it's not glowing in the anime, it's just a spinning tiara like Wonder Woman's. The live-action show changed the name to Moon Tiara Boomerang, where it transformed into the familiar V-shaped boomerang (kinda like Zoisite's in the Sailor Moon disguise!).

The sub I'm watch uses colour coded subtitles for the Sailors (and Luna), (and scary font for the Dark Kingdom characters), which means that even if I didn't know who Ami was (and didn't recognise her from the opening), the fact that she speaks in blue is a bit of a giveaway.
I haven't seen subtitles like those for this series! I wanna say they're all yellow on Hulu and all white on DVD. If you're watching the second season on the old DVDs, I've heard that they still left out episode 67 back then, so watch out for that. (And that's funny how Yahoo View's "Cast" grabs nine actors from the old English dubs, including two Amy voices, plus Robbie Daymond, the only one of them you can actually hear on those Hulu streams should you switch to Dubbed.)

Ami is taller that I was expecting (Usagi is the short one in this bunch) (if we don't count Luna).
I noticed Ami became the shortest in the last few live stage musicals, as relative height isn't always the biggest priority for casting.

Episode 10: we get two new sailors in three episodes!
Almost as impressive as getting five new sailors in seven chapters! :D

Nerik the Red

Validated User
I'm pretty sure I caught the start of episode 19 on TV because I remembered it opening with some bad guy talking about Tuxedo Mask a lot. Recently I deduced another episode of the third season I may have seen on Toonami!
What I forgot to mention is that I'm sure I've seen the final bit of the final battle of season 1 before - although I gather the first dub kind of cut episodes 45-46 up a bit.

I checked a couple of subbed episodes to see this, and one version of the introduction used "superhero," while another used "crime fighter." Actually, I think I heard that these could be substitutions for the more literal translation of "ally of justice."

I have read that it was originally called a Frisbee, so right on! Apparently the manga has it transform into a chakram, whereas when it's not glowing in the anime, it's just a spinning tiara like Wonder Woman's. The live-action show changed the name to Moon Tiara Boomerang, where it transformed into the familiar V-shaped boomerang (kinda like Zoisite's in the Sailor Moon disguise!).
I've read chapter 1 of the manga - where it's more of a vorpal chakram.

I haven't seen subtitles like those for this series! I wanna say they're all yellow on Hulu and all white on DVD. If you're watching the second season on the old DVDs, I've heard that they still left out episode 67 back then, so watch out for that. (And that's funny how Yahoo View's "Cast" grabs nine actors from the old English dubs, including two Amy voices, plus Robbie Daymond, the only one of them you can actually hear on those Hulu streams should you switch to Dubbed.)
Episode 67 is present & correct (I've actually watch all of season 2 now, just haven't written them up, yet).

Something else I forgot to mention - at the very end of episode 46, when Usagi is running to school - she's still wearing the moon brooch!

Last edited:

Bag of Magic Food

Still captured by Lothor
Validated User
What I forgot to mention is that I'm sure I've seen the final bit of the final battle of season 1 before - although I gather the first dub kind of cut episodes 45-46 up a bit.
Right, I heard it skipped episodes 2, 5, 6, 20, 42, and enough of 45 and 46 to mash them into one episode, along with that 67 I mentioned. I know a bit of the final battle of season 1 showed up in its opening sequence, which mainly drew from the original first and third (second season's first) openings!

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
The sky castles for each planet are named for prominent moons... except for moonless Mercury and Venus, where they're named for the first space probes to reach them.

Nerik the Red

Validated User
Season 2: R
New opening, but the music is still Moonlight Denatsu (no complaints from me).
Is that a ice shelf, or is city skyline?
Usagi seems a bit... melancholic in this opening.
Is that a new brooch?

Doom Tree Arc
Episode 47: Ok, so our heroes have no memory of season 1, but does the rest of the world (I remember big arguments about this in Shadowjack's thread)?

Then a Meteorite lands - a big one.

Naru gets attacked (again? or is this the first time?)

Usagi to the rescue (Naru's mum faints - Adults Are Useless)
Ok, so the bit of the memory upload we see includes the most traumatic memories Usagi has ever experienced no wonder she is not happy to be back!

Episode 48: Looks like the other sailor's memories start coming back before the cats intervene - possibly all it needs is the right trigger? Also, the memory we see from the upload is one that didn't happened until after every character receiving it was DEAD! This has metaphysical implications - OTOH, we've already had it established that spirits & ghosts are a thing in this setting.

Except that Mamoro doesn't remember a thing...
...ouch...

Ok, while the main plot is our two aliens and their tree, a major subplot is that Usagi really isn't sure she wants to be a superhero... at all... then...

Episode 51: Ok, things have gone badly wrong - the other Sailors have been grabbed, then Sailor Moon gets grabbed - then her transformation brooch breaks - reverting her to 'normal' - and she's still trying to save her friends!
New brooch, new transformation sequence! New weapon!
Ok, that's twice now that her weapons come with a built in little tune that plays when she uses them :D

Episode 57: :D

Episode 59: Doom Tree arc is over, Mamoru gets his memories back, the other Sailors seem to have mastered Umino's ninja appearing trick (seriously, where were they hiding?)

...so everyone can relax...

...ok...

...nope!

Dark Moon Arc
Now I shall just preface this by stating that I seem to be more tolerant than most (ok, in this case 'most' applies to the internet) of 'scrappy' characters (I could probably write an essay on the subject).

Episode 60: Ok, mid-smooch Mamoru seems to have a rather slow reaction time ;)
So we now have a kid who's after what may be the most powerful artefact in the setting - no worries...
So family is brainwashed and physical evidence of the kid's cover planted - there will be questions later...
Usagi in the bath - sees bubbles - leans forward - and seems to sniff :eek:
Ok kid how did you do that!

Ok, so the dark moon people are after the kid - with murderous intent - they also want the silver crystal.

Episode 61: Ok, the kid's omni-gadget does a hypno-brolly neuraliser.
...meanwhile the dark moon gang seem to be trying some kind of cross-time geomantic feng-shui attack on their enemies.
Mamoru is having visions - of the same crystal city the dark moon gang are plotting against!
...and reacts badly
...very badly

...dammit Mamoru, you broke that girls heart! :(

...ok, Berthier's first plan didn't last very long (I really like ShadowJack's take on the scene).

Episode 62: New wands (which raises some questions - can they just upgrade their powers by getting new wands?) new communicators - these are wrist comms, they seem to lack the mini-screens of the old model.
Ami gets to show off her new power first.

...ok, I'm going to stop the episode by episode thing here (mostly).

...we get a gradual reveals of Chibi-Usa's mum & home life...
...her parents appear to be loaded

...Wiseman is creepy

Episode 67: This earth has plesiosaurs - it might have dinosaurs as well!

Episode 71: New opening - maybe a bit spoilery... shows three new Dark Moon members... and a new Sailor.

...the four Phantom sisters get befriended.

...this is getting pretty spectacular - I think Tokyo lost its black-hole no-claims bonus though.

Episode 73: Chibi-Usa - bad idea!
...otoh I'm prepared to cut you all kind of slack on the grounds that you're a five-year old traumatised war refugee.
...but yes, this is your fault (but you knew that already).

Episode 74: How many gravities was she under... and she stood up :eek:
...also, Chibi-Usa - well done kid.

Episode 77: You know Mamoru, maby you should have told her that a few (and by few I mean SIXTEEN) episodes earlier...
...OTOH ShadowJack did come up with a good reason for you not to...

Episode 78: My memory (which can be a bit unreliable) is stating that Minako started doing her malapropisms back in season 1.

Episode 81: Ok, how did Momo not die - also, we finally get a get a clear view of Chibi's mum...
...it's Usagi
...because of course it is
...we also see the attack on Crystal Tokyo
...did she just tank an orbital bombardmant strike for Chibi-Usa :eek:
...I'm going to repeat myself five-year old traumatised war refugee
...going to need years of therapy
(I might have been a bit spoiled on that plot development by popcultual osmosis).

Episode 82: Chibi-Usa, - paradoxing yourself out of existence isn't a good idea.

Episode 83: Ok, revelations time:
The calamity - thats not an ice age, thats a Snowball Earth Scenario :eek:
And Serenity fixed it...
...and is Usagi (a thousand years in the future)
...and Usagi and Mamoru finally find out who Chibi-Usa's parents are :D
(I do have a fondness for a certain type of shocking revelation)
...also Prince Dimande is a creepy bastard :mad:

Then we hit engame - Chibi-Usa is abducted...
...and aged up...
...Wiseman reveals his hand
...and one-by one offs the leaders of the Black Moon Clan.

...it ends in a pretty damn spectacular battle.

...and at the end, when Chibi-usa finally calls Usagi 'Mum' - that got to me :eek:

...the next episode was, of course, a clip show.
[HR][/HR]
Ok, while this one has a few problems I'm still enjoying the series.
And I have a few random theories:
Ok, Chibi-Usa's real name is 'Small Lady' in English - attack names are also in English, my current theory/headcanon is that 'English' is being used to stand in for Lunaran (Like in Nanoha English is a stand in for Mid-Childan while German is a stand in for Belkan).
Also, Mamoru has dark hair and blue eyes, Usagi has blonde hair a blue eyes, Chibi-usa has pink hair and red eyes - my theory/headcanon - she's an albino (allowing for animation using extra-saturated colours).
I think there is a lot left deliberately untold about the history between 'now' and the Crystal Tokyo era.

For the Sailor Moon dating controversy, there are several places in Season R where the year is clearly visible as '93.

I have yet to see the 'R' movie - need to get it from somewhere.

Bag of Magic Food

Still captured by Lothor
Validated User
Ok, that's twice now that her weapons come with a built in little tune that plays when she uses them :D
The Moon Stick started a thing, didn't it?

The calamity - thats not an ice age, thats a Snowball Earth Scenario :eek:
Is that what they call Shiver Star? I don't think the manga even mentioned a calamity, but either way, I'm at a loss as to how a "Neo-Queen Serenity" was spontaneously awakened. Of course if we're talking about the manga, then instead of plant aliens and feng shui, we open with the Ayakashi Sisters needing to die for trying to impress the masses with their psychic readings in between trying to murder other people to replace them with Droids amid Rubeus's long-term capturing of Sailor Soldiers, and it ends with a bunch of developments that this show saves for some later season, as usual.

I have yet to see the 'R' movie - need to get it from somewhere.
Unfortunately it appears that the movies and dubbed seasons beyond the second won't be receiving any official online streams in full any time soon, but if you do manage to get the new disc release, then you can finally hear the English dub of the short that came with that movie!

Top Bottom