[VtM] Does the Giovanni clan have the dumbest name? Do you use the Giovanni as is or change their name?

The Gentleman Dawkins

Validated User
I don't believe I've commented on here already, but I was told by one of the original WW team that the name "Giovanni" came from a favourite Italian restaurant of the Vampire team of the early 1990s. The restaurant was called "Giovanni's". The team (specifically MRH, I'm given to understand) assumed it was a surname, not realising the owner's first name was Giovanni / John.

Likewise, Mark confirmed to me the name "Ravnos" just came about because it sounded like "Ravenous". No connection to anything beyond that.

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
As sort of an inverse comment to this thread, from what I remember I rather liked the explanation behind the Baali clan name that was given in the Dark Ages Baali clan book. IIRC, it's not actually a reference to the deity Baal, but rather to an old Semitic word for "Lord" or "Lady".
The name of the god Ba’al is the old Semitic word for “lord.”

Black Flag

Dweller on the Threshold
Validated User
Oddly enough I think Giovanni is one of the better clan names. :unsure:
Yeah, I’ve always been cool with it. No idea why someone would think it’s dumber than... well, any of the others, really.

Huh?
I assumed the Ravana connection was there from the start.
Not surprised to find out it wasn’t. The focus on India was a later development, presumably when it was realized that having them just be the “Gypsy vampires” was a minefield, and also not broad enough to carry a whole clan through the millennia.

Coyote's Own

RPG.net's friendly neighborhood Nuwisha.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Not surprised to find out it wasn’t. The focus on India was a later development, presumably when it was realized that having them just be the “Gypsy vampires” was a minefield, and also not broad enough to carry a whole clan through the millennia.
I kind assumed it all linked together from the start since the Roma people originated in India.

Black Flag

Dweller on the Threshold
Validated User
I kind assumed it all linked together from the start since the Roma people originated in India.
They did, but it’s not clear how much of that history the original team actually knew, as opposed to just going by folklore and movies absorbed over the years. For example, they seem to have imagined that the Romani peoples had been around for untold thousands of years (in fact they wouldn’t have even been in Europe in time for the Dark Ages setting).

So when they decided to expand the clan, India seemed the natural choice. Not sure why they didn’t ultimately go with Ravana as the founder’s name, though.

Top Bottom