• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[War Thunder] The Mighty Wart Hunter

ChalkLine

Rogue Conformist
Validated User
The two I'm having a problem with aren't going to fix their core deficiency no matter what I upgrade. They start with their best penetration shell, but it's just grossly inadequate.
These vehicles weren't tanks as such but sort of a 'heavy organic infantry support' vehicle. They were supposed to be parceled out to each infantry company, for various reasons the French would not be able to mechanise all their infantry divisions, and overwhelm the enemy's infantry positions. Tank fighting was the job of the S35s, Char Bs and the tank that was supposed to equip the French armour divisions¹.
So while it looks like a tank it definitely isn't one.
I like them because they're funky little things but they really shouldn't be fighting other tanks

(1) If the Germans had screwed around and given the French a chance to raise their armour divisions it would have been a very different war

Last edited:

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
So they seem to have just kicked off proper closed beta for naval battles. Current projection is apparently that running through the end of the year.

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
I found to my surprise that coming back in after a multi-month break I was still pretty good - at least at the fighter and attacker game. Feels like bombers (maybe everything) disintegrate faster than they used to and I haven't gotten any turret kills.

Also, interesting how fast damaged planes lose control authority. Seems like even without any component being marked as seriously damaged you can have all your maneuvering hugely inhibited. Plus trying to fly with no horizontal stabilizer in a...amusing but seemingly pointless exercise.

Pretty sure I'll be happier overall if (A) I never seriously try to pursue the war bond stuff and (B) I quit fast when a session starts getting frustrating. I might only play an hour or two at a time but I'll be swearing at the game considerably less...

What I really want at this point is the naval game, but I think I'll wait until open beta for that.

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
So it's been announced that 1.83 will bring open beta testing for naval play. I'm guessing that's the next major release, though the current release is 1.81. I haven't heard anything about a 1.82.

DieselRay

Validated User
So it's been announced that 1.83 will bring open beta testing for naval play. I'm guessing that's the next major release, though the current release is 1.81. I haven't heard anything about a 1.82.
Even numbered versions are internal versions. All public versions are odd-numbered. So 1.83 will indeed be the next one we see.

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
Anybody else here in War Thunder anymore?

I've been playing a good bit since naval release. I've gotten to destroyers in the British (the utterly terrible stripped Clemson) and Soviet (stock but still powerful Frunze) trees. I'm honestly having a lot of doubt that there's any real balance between boats and ships. Now that I've got a real destroyer I can see from both sides just how easy it is for them to deal out sudden explosive death to anybody anywhere near them. A torpedo boat can kill a destroyer, or more than one, but it's so risky, so circumstantial, and requires so much setup that it's almost certainly worse than having another destroyer in your lineup.

In a couple days they'll be starting off a naval event with what looks like a very achievable chance to win a premium soviet destroyer, so I'm going to be taking a shot at that.

I haven't really touched the shiny new Italian tanks. I didn't even complete the beta unlock for them, which is unusual. Just not very motivated to play low-level tanks lately.

ChalkLine

Rogue Conformist
Validated User
I got a bit weary over the can-and-fly ground attackers in Realistic Ground Battles. It seemed every time I went out and tried real tank tactics I was pounced on by a fly-boy using the unrealistic spotting and ground attack model. In reality your best chance of surviving a ground attack before the advent of missiles was to ignore it. It really marred the game for me, as as such I haven't explored the Italian Tree that I was really looking forward too.

Also the new method of bidding for tank schematics and trying to lavish time on competitions utterly alienates me, so I've hardly played at all.

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
I got a bit weary over the can-and-fly ground attackers in Realistic Ground Battles. It seemed every time I went out and tried real tank tactics I was pounced on by a fly-boy using the unrealistic spotting and ground attack model. In reality your best chance of surviving a ground attack before the advent of missiles was to ignore it. It really marred the game for me, as as such I haven't explored the Italian Tree that I was really looking forward too.
Huh. One of the reasons I stopped playing tank RB ages ago was that I couldn't spot tanks from the air. But I haven't really tried it in years.
Also the new method of bidding for tank schematics and trying to lavish time on competitions utterly alienates me, so I've hardly played at all.
...I honestly don't know what you're referring to here.

Top Bottom