• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[+][Warhammer] Age of Sigmar general discussion.

Ikoma

Validated User
Re: [Warhammer] Age of Sigmar general discussion.

What about slaanesh? They were always my favorite chaos faction.

VictorVonDoom

Hikikomori
Validated User

What about slaanesh? They were always my favorite chaos faction.
According to the fluff, Slaanesh is currently MIA, but his faction is still extant as of the latest Chaos Grand Alliance book. Nothing new, but still all the old troops from Warhammer, with some Special Characters turned into generic heroes these days. Slaanesh could be a fantastic looking army with conversions/proxies from various other miniature lines. For example, this model from the Hel Dorado line:

In general, rumour has it that GW is downplaying Slaanesh these days specifically to appeal to a younger audience.

Last edited:

Dragonlover

Validated User

I never played Fantasy, but Chaos is my favourite army in 40K so I figured why change? Also my wife nabbed the Stormcast stuff out of the box.

Bloodbound and Slaves play reasonably well together, you can make most of the Slaves list Khorne and it'll get the Bloodsecrator buff, which is pretty handy.

My personal theory on Slaanesh is that they're retooling the line aesthetically for a rerelease down the line somewhere.

Dragonlover

Last edited:

Yellow Signatory

Formerly 'Lord Stilt-Man'
Validated User

I never played Fantasy, but Chaos is my favourite army in 40K so I figured why change? Also my wife nabbed the Stormcast stuff out of the box.
Very cool that AoS is bringing in people from 40k. It's weird that in RPGs i prefer Sci Fi to fantasy yet in wargaming it's the other way.

Bloodbound and Slaves play reasonably well together, you can make most of the Slaves list Khorne and it'll get the Bloodsecrator buff, which is pretty handy.
If they work so well together then I'm going to keep my hopes up that we get a Plaguebound or something. Nurgle is very much my boy.

My personal theory on Slaanesh is that they're retooling the line aesthetically for a rerelease down the line somewhere.
I definitely hope this is true and not as Doom says.

Bit of that, plus steampunk airship pirates. So I'm told.
Dammit I can't afford another army, I can't even really afford one, but airship Man O' War Dwarfs is something I don't think I can resist. I'll have to go looking up the rumours on those. Cheers for the heads up.

Slaanesh could be a fantastic looking army with conversions/proxies from various other miniature lines. For example, this model from the Hel Dorado line:

That's a beautiful Mini. Slaanesh was always my Second favourite Chaos god (or 3rd behind Hashut) and more aesthetics like that would certainly help his case.

wirecrossing

illegal jokes
Validated User

They're definitely retooling Slaanesh. Fo defs.

I like the new starters. My wife bought ghosts and I bought skellingtons so we can fight each other or join up.

Yellow Signatory

Validated User

I like the new starters. My wife bought ghosts and I bought skellingtons so we can fight each other or join up.
I love how they've divvied Undead up. Looking forward to them all getting expanded on.

Ascanius

Use the singular they!
Validated User

In general, rumour has it that GW is downplaying Slaanesh these days specifically to appeal to a younger audience.
Yeah, the "squatting Slaanesh to make the game kid-friendly" is just a rumour, and not one to which we should give credence. It seems like a deliberate narrative choice - the return of Slaanesh is going to be A Storyline Thing later on.

Issue #119 of the weekly White Dwarf had previews of the Flesh-Eater Courts, and included a bunch of hilarious flavour for them. First of all, the hosts of the Courts are drawn from desperate starving mortals who turn to serving an Abhorrant Ghoul King simply to have something to eat, which is pretty grim. But here are some of the specific unit descriptions:

Infected by their king's insanity, [Crypt Ghouls] see the world as he does, that they are not degenerate fiends who feast on the flesh of the living, but the last bastions of civilisation in a ruined world full of horrors. Crypt Ghouls in particular labour under the delusion that instead of being rag-clad mordants, they are redoubtable foot-soldiers in the livery of their noble liege, even as they fall upon the unwary and unsuspecting in great hordes of pallid flesh and filthy claws, howling and snarling like rabid animals.

. . .

In their delusions, [Crypt Flayers] believe themselves to be almost angelic warriors who are granted flight by the blessings of their noble lord and master, a nightmare mirror of the starry-pinioned Prosecutors of Sigmar's Stormhosts.

. . .

Whilst Crypt Horrors are looming night-terrors that can rip the organs from a man's chest with ease, the Flesh-Eater Courts regard them as the foot-knights of their noble king, always the first into the fight. Their madness has deluded them into believing they are clad in shining plate and wielding the finest broadswords, and not rags and cracked bones.

. . .

The masters of a Crypt Horror pack, Crypt Haunters are festooned with grisly trophies that they are convinced are a panoply of rare craftsmanship.

. . .

The locus of insanity for an entire Flesh-Eater Court, an Abhorrant Ghoul King leads his adoring subjects from the front, ever in the thick of the fighting, in part because that is the role of the good and dutiful king, and in part because it means he can claim for himself the tastiest morsels of warm, still-living flesh.​

Ascanius

Use the singular they!
Validated User

I think the Fyreslayers are kind of cool - like the old Trollslayer enormous mohawk guys but then also lava weapons and fire dragons.

Yellow Signatory

Validated User

That Flesh Eater Court flavour is exactly how my mate sold them to me. I'm definitely buying some even if it never becomes a big army.

So Fyreslayers actually have magma weapons? That's pretty cool. Have they taken the sort of Chaos Dwarf servants of a god of fire deal, or is it more that they just live in Volcano country and have adapted accordingly?

Top Bottom