[+][Warhammer] Age of Sigmar general discussion.

Scutarii

Validated User
This kind of release is, I think, exactly the kind of thing that AoS needs. It's silly, humorous and over the top high fantasy. AoS itself is...not a very good game...but having cool, weird, over the top models and encouraging you to use them makes the time spent at the table worthwhile.

Ithaeur

Relic Unicorn
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Well well well. More then night goblins are moving underground!

There's a new boxed set for AoS, with Skaven vs. Flesheater Courts, with new and gribbly ghoul lord and recklessly overarmed Skaven boss.

Gentleman Highwayman

Validated User
This kind of release is, I think, exactly the kind of thing that AoS needs. It's silly, humorous and over the top high fantasy. AoS itself is...not a very good game...but having cool, weird, over the top models and encouraging you to use them makes the time spent at the table worthwhile.
This pretty much summarizes GW as a whole since the beginning. Imagine a world where the rules lived up to the models...

Prof. Anybody

Validated User
Well well well. More then night goblins are moving underground!

There's a new boxed set for AoS, with Skaven vs. Flesheater Courts, with new and gribbly ghoul lord and recklessly overarmed Skaven boss.
I gotta admit, my first thought on seeing "overarmed" was not "rokkit launcher and all sorts of other stuff" but rather..

... when did the Skavens start worshipping the Four-Armed Emperor?
(MUTANT SKAVENS!!!!)

George Angell

Validated User
I'm not sure I'd call AoS a bad game per say. I think it accomplishes its main goal of being a fairly accessible game that's easy to lean and start playing. I do think it needs to grow into itself more which I hope it will do as more Battletomes are released and the rules for the various armies get further tweaked and refined. I do agree that Gloomspire is (or a least seems to be) what the games needs rules that really bring out the character of the army.*

I don't think AoS is ever going to be a finely balanced, well tuned, super competitive game to play, but I do think it can be a really fun game to play.

*Hopefully, it would be a shame if they have all kinds of cool rules for various units and army compositions but the meta becomes: Grot swarm, more Grot swarm, lots and lots of swarming Grots.

drkrash

Fighter
Validated User
I agree. I could complain that AoS is nothing more than a min-maxing dice fest with light strategy elements (and when I lose, I do!), but the good side is that there is a huge player base (for an expensive hobby) that means I never have to struggle to find a game, and that's pretty valuable.

Sabermane

Proud Fianna knight of hope and peace
Validated User
Hey, dumb question--is there a good wiki or something for the AoS fluff? I mean, 40K has a ton of data on it out there, but I haven't found a good repository for Sigmar yet...

Inqy

World Breaker's Sigh
Validated User
Lexicanum has been making a big push to recruit contributors to expand its Age of Sigmar section for a while now. It's a bit patchy because like many wikis a lot of it comes down to which bits of the setting the contributors are particularly interested in, but it's probably the most detailed Age of Sigmar wiki out there.

(Except possibly 1D4Chan but... well, that's the 4Chan wiki and thus it's devotion to accuracy or even good taste/basic human decency varies wildly. You have been warned.)

Top Bottom