• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

[+][Warhammer] Age of Sigmar general discussion.

DDogwood

Cyborg Space Pirate
Validated User
Instead a lot of the games engagement is in building your buff engines around your units and putting them on the table so they can remain in range. Then the more advanced play gets into very specific positioning of models to manipulate who gets to fight in any given round of combat, forcing models to ‘pile in’ in such a way that they can’t actually take part or trapping them out of buff range, etc.
I understand what you're saying, but I don't see that part as being fundamentally different than WFB - in that game, the strategy was heavily focused on building units to deliver powerful characters into combat, designing champions who could "soak up" the attacks from a powerful character, and positioning tarpits and trash units to manipulate who gets to fight in any given round of combat, trapping strong units out of combat. It certainly wasn't a great reflection of what I understand about ancient and medieval warfare.

Of course, WFB had the inevitable "gunline" armies, which sat on a hill in the back of the deployment zone, rolling dice while the other army simply tried to weather the hail of artillery and missile fire in order to make it into combat. Those games were always super exciting.

N0-1_H3r3

Bemused and Bewildered
Validated User
Of course, WFB had the inevitable "gunline" armies, which sat on a hill in the back of the deployment zone, rolling dice while the other army simply tried to weather the hail of artillery and missile fire in order to make it into combat. Those games were always super exciting.
Yeah, I remember those. There was a point where 40k was overwhelmingly dominated by melee armies while WFB was all gunlines and artillery, and there was lots of humourless joking about this reversal.

Scutarii

Validated User
I understand what you're saying, but I don't see that part as being fundamentally different than WFB - in that game, the strategy was heavily focused on building units to deliver powerful characters into combat, designing champions who could "soak up" the attacks from a powerful character, and positioning tarpits and trash units to manipulate who gets to fight in any given round of combat, trapping strong units out of combat. It certainly wasn't a great reflection of what I understand about ancient and medieval warfare.
Sure. I don’t remember defending WFB much either, at least, not recently. I prefer 6 and 10mm mass combat games nowadays or more intimate platoon of squad level ones if I am playing 28mm+ as either they abstract things into more of a decision making game (where ideally you’re making the kinds of choices a ‘real’ general would and considering the same kinds of factors) or they’re with a small enough number of models the can spend the time on more simulation style elements to give you more of a ‘realistic choices’ feel. Or they’re more focused on a characterful feel and fewer models let’s individuality stand out more, closer to an RPG battle game - like Bushido or the knight models superhero ones.

And, yes, I am aware that fantasy =/= reality and warfare might be totally different. I just don’t think the AoS version of what fantasy warfare would be like is that interesting for me to play.

I am keeping an eye on the new Rick Priestley game Erehwon to see what that does too.

Crumbs

Validated User
Since I never played WH Fantasy, would you then say Sigmar is an improvement? Or just differently weak?

Scutari did a pretty good job describing the problems of AoS. He did miss the stacking of as many mortal wounds as you can and the always no matter what they do magic is either worth taking for your faction or just taking the bare minimum to shut down a key spell (aka scroll caddy)

I do think the game is way more approachable and way more balanced than it has ever been which is what they want but is a little lacking in the depth on the high end of play.

Anopheles

I draw bugs
Validated User
Having some fun with the new Squigs. Love the new sculpts. I already have a full army, with 100+ grotz and assorted units, but I’m tempted by more of the newness. Those Squig “knights” look cool.

Most of the old army was on squares from the previous edition. Only a few units were on round bases, but I’ve found they look better. So faced with a dilemma.

Anyone else had a chance to try out the Gloomspite on table?

Top Bottom