• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[+][Warhammer] Age of Sigmar general discussion.

drkrash

Fighter
Validated User
With my own very bad record, I have come to believe that many, many AoS matches are heavily decided by initial deployment. Every AAR I do on my own games (which are often losses) comes back to a failure in my initial set-up.

Scutarii

Validated User
With my own very bad record, I have come to believe that many, many AoS matches are heavily decided by initial deployment. Every AAR I do on my own games (which are often losses) comes back to a failure in my initial set-up.
Part of the problem was that the mission they were playing meant you had to deploy forward. 15 inch deployment zones. Objectives ~12 inches up so the stormcast had to be in front of them to body block access, putting them ~13-14 inches onto the table. Being further away just gives objectives to the Deepkin.

The Deepkin stand 15 inches as far forward as they can, they move 14 inches so they're 29 up. Enemy is 14 up so 29+14 = 43 inches of the 48 inch table already covered just by deployment and first turn movement. So it's a 5 inch charge to get in for the Deepkin knights. Deepkin player gets to choose if they go first so 'almost guaranteed' first turn charges. Then biovoltaic energy and...well...huge casualties before even getting to fight. Then they used the ability to reverse Tides of Battle so on turn 2 all Deepkin units fight first.

It was...lame to have the game designed this way.

Crumbs

Validated User
Yeah it was pretty bad not the kind of thing you want to see in this level of play.

Scutarii

Validated User
Yeah it was pretty bad not the kind of thing you want to see in this level of play.
I wouldn't mind so much if it were a gimmicky thing you could do but wasn't competitive. Sure, it would suck to be on the receiving end in your local game night but at least it wouldn't be indicative of the game itself having such issues. This Idoneth player got to the final table undefeated at Heat 1 of the biggest competitive AoS tournament in the UK with 70 competitors.

I don't know if they won overall as the stream stopped before the final game.

Top 4 were Deepkin, Flesh Eaters, Daughters of Khaine and Sylvaneth so there was at least some competitive variety.

The DoK were a horde, Flesh Eaters seemed like a generally fluff appropriate list that brought some of everything except basic ghouls, Sylvaneth focused on raw speed and Wildwood shenanigans to control objectives (slingshot dryad hordes and an allied phoenix into the enemy deployment zone, pinning them in place, then small units sit on objectives to score and win by deying enemy ability to move form their deployment)

Inqy

World Breaker's Sigh
Validated User
Flesh Eaters lists are a bit odd now due to the way their summoning works. It's very good odds that, like, a third of the actual army isn't actually on the army list. Gonna have to track down the army list that won though as one of the big wait-and-see things among FEC players right now is exactly how much monster mash (i.e. spamming Terrorgheists and Zombie Dragons) is going to figure into tournament winning lists.

ecs05norway

Validated User
So, what kind of play style have people seen out of Nighthaunt? I picked up some Glaivewraith Stalkers and Myrmourn Banshees because they were cheap and looked cool, and I've enjoyed painting them up. Debating diving a bit deeper down the hole.

Inqy

World Breaker's Sigh
Validated User
So, what kind of play style have people seen out of Nighthaunt? I picked up some Glaivewraith Stalkers and Myrmourn Banshees because they were cheap and looked cool, and I've enjoyed painting them up. Debating diving a bit deeper down the hole.
General consensus seems to be that Chainrasps and Grimghasts, supported by Guardian of Souls and healing powers work well. (Though the current tournament cheese is to run Grimghasts in legions of Nagash, as the additional healing makes them insanely hard to shift for the damage they do.) For pure Nighthaunt, I've heard nothing but praise for Myrmourns. Battalions-wise only the ones which support Chainrasps seem particularly popular.

I'm not going to link 1D4chan here, but if you're OK with 4chan levels of internet crap the Faction Tactics pages on 1D4chan themselves are actually quite good even if the rest of the wiki is alternately disgusting, memey, or obsessed with super niche aspects of the fluff that they spin out into full on fanfiction.

Crumbs

Validated User
My friend runs nighthaunt he does the chainrasp and grimghast.

We mostly play semi competative and he does fairly well.

Scutarii

Validated User
Flesh Eaters lists are a bit odd now due to the way their summoning works. It's very good odds that, like, a third of the actual army isn't actually on the army list. Gonna have to track down the army list that won though as one of the big wait-and-see things among FEC players right now is exactly how much monster mash (i.e. spamming Terrorgheists and Zombie Dragons) is going to figure into tournament winning lists.
List that went at least 4-0 (didn’t see the final) used 1 terrorgheist. Blisterkin the speed boosting one and then 2 big units of the flying screaming ones formed the core of the army.

The screams did a good job in large numbers and they’re not exactly bad in combat either!

Last edited:

ecs05norway

Validated User
Cool. How many models do you end up needing to build a reasonable army? How much dosh am I looking at spending if I do take this dive? (Figure my budget includes one of the $80 starter boxes....)

Top Bottom