[+][Warhammer] Age of Sigmar general discussion.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
So, what's the theme for the Skaven then? They're chaos, and all the other Chaos powers are themed, right?

Also: my first real reading into AOS was Soul Wars, so nice to see how that ties into things :)

Scutarii

Validated User
So, what's the theme for the Skaven then? They're chaos, and all the other Chaos powers are themed, right?

Also: my first real reading into AOS was Soul Wars, so nice to see how that ties into things :)
I don't think they do. It's madness, breaking the symmetry of Chaos!

Crumbs

Validated User
Clan pestilence battletome said it first but never really went into detail and like scutarii says it was really just he was so awesome when everything blew up the other gods just said “fine you can play with us.” They basically treat him like a high school senior would treat his little brother in middle schools.

Personally I like him better as he is more of an undivided god. He is all the gods at once and also each individual god through his aspects.

Scutarii

Validated User
Idle thought. I’d love to see them doing some sub-faction equivalents (like Stormhosts, FeCourts, etc.) that allow them to ally in models from outside their normal ally lists and potentially outside their alliance.

E.g.: have a Flesh Eater abhorrent who hates Nagash and upholds archaic alliances with neighbouring Free People. Just needs you to wed your eldest child to their courtier to cement the alliance...

Or an Ironjaw megaboss who loves the biggest baddest weapons and so long as the Kharadron keep supplying them for their boyz dey’ll ‘appily crush dem chaos ladz fer ‘em

N0-1_H3r3

Bemused and Bewildered
Validated User
Personally, I think things like that are (and should remain) firmly in the Open Play/Narrative Play sides of the game - the more pieces there are to combo with, the harder everything is to balance, and then you end up with things like 40k's "take one Blood Angel's Captain with jump pack and thunder hammer, several Knights, and as many Imperial Guardsman as you can fit, because that's the most efficient way to cheese the system".

I know I'm unpopular for suggesting this, but maybe it's a good thing that Matched Play rules are narrower and more limited than the scope of the background allows, and maybe that'd shake people out of this collective insistence that Matched Play is the default.

Crumbs

Validated User
40ks problem with allies is there is no max points limit you can take of them. So you end up stacking the bare minimum you need to get your primary detachment and then you pile on your allies who make up a significant portion of your total points. If they capped it at 600pts or so a lot of problems would go away. Along with making CP usage and generation apply to each detachment individually. Also knights are extremly meta shifting when used as an ally on their own as a monolist they are hardly winning things.

AoS has a points limit on allies, no CP and most of the buffs are specific to army units and it typically calls out a unit like “sylvaneth units within 3’’” and army wide abilities generally also call out the specific army.

AoS could easily allow more cross faction allies since at 400pt cap for most games you only get around 3-4 units the bulk of your army is still one faction and abilities would in most cases not affect the allied units.

George Angell

Validated User
Thinking about the ways to do the cross faction thing you might be able to do something with Battalions. You already have things like the Shadowhammer Compact for DoK and Wood and Sea for Deepkin so in theory there's no reason you could add similar mix and match Battalions for other forces while avoiding the kind of buffet armies you get in 40K.

(Personally I'd prefer if matched play wasn't seen as the penultimate form play out there and if other forms like narrative were more accepted. But it is was it is and even in friendly settings folks seem to really like matched.)

DocShoveller

both a doctor and a fox
Validated User
I'm organising a Path to Glory campaign with some friends. Anything I should be aware of before I leap in?

I'm planning to build a Nurgle warband myself, because I have an unpainted Blightwar set, but I'm mostly thinking about general management issues.

Scutarii

Validated User
Probably worth having a talk about including big monsters/hero monsters early on. They can skew things as sometime one side won’t have a reasonable answer to them and in ither match ups someone will have a hard counter to them.

The other suggestion is to let people choose the units they get from the random tables if they want, new units can be expensive and not everyone likes all the models on their random tables.

Top Bottom