[+][Warhammer] Age of Sigmar general discussion.

BrianDR

Validated User
I had ignored AoS for a while - WFB was always something I wanted to get into "someday", and I heard a lot of negative buzz around the changeover when it happened. But I recently got a copy of White Dwarf to flip through for fun, and it got me looking at miniatures again. And actually, Age of Sigmar looks really appealing to me: the new factions/models look great and fun to paint, the start collecting boxes actually look like good values, and from what I'm reading the game looks both a little simpler and a bit more flexible in terms of what it allows.

I have a couple of questions, I'm sure I'll have more as I dig into this. I'm a hobby-first/beer and pretzels play second/never-plays-tournaments kind of player who dabbles with miniatures for RPGs and fun, but never seriously got into a miniature wargame.:

- Is there anything in the Soul Wars box that is necessary or helpful to play that I'd miss out on by just starting with the core rulebook + a start collecting box?

-Everywhere I read that the standard play surface is 4'x6'. My kitchen table is 3.5'x7.5'. Could I play a 1k point, beer-and-pretzels game on that surface with my friends, or will the missing 6" of width kill it?

Scutarii

Validated User
Width is much less important than how far apart you are from your opponent in deployment so that table should be fine. Just aim to be about 24 inches away at the start and it should work fine.

Soul Wars has the big main rulebook but all you need to play are free in the online rules. You’d be missing out on fluff and background, more scenarios and the optional ‘realms of battle ‘ rules that add in stuff like ‘you’re in the realm of fire, so every wizard can cast a fireball’. Nothing you’d miss or could get elsewhere

BrianDR

Validated User
I see there's a generals handbook 2017, 2018 etc. Does each one just supersede the last, or do they contain different stuff such that you could conceivably want each one?

Scutarii

Validated User
They do contain a few different things but the core content is the points and army special rules which is superceeded each time.

The unique stuff is more scenarios mostly.

There should be a 2019 version coming sometime soonish too so I’d wait for 2019 edition over buying 2018.

The army books (battletomes) are the main thing you’d want for your faction. Main reason to get the handbook is if your chosen faction does not have an army book yet.

Scutarii

Validated User
I find it difficult to comprehend that this has not been shared already...

Clearly you are lacking in your worship of the dark prince.

Scutarii

Validated User
Other interesting and exciting feature is with WarCry. They’re adding new chaos cultures and subfactions to those parts of the mortal realms that have been under chaos control for centuries. Their explicit aim is to make those populated lands feel vibrant and alive with distinct personalities and not just be monoculture colours painted on a map.

They showed off a group from the realm of Metal who make arms and armour for the armies of chaos and who have humans, ogres and dwarves among their people.

Senex

Gunboat Diplomat
Validated User
Those Slaanesh minis are just gorgeous !

Never had a Chaos army, but honestly, I think that's going to change very soon.

Scutarii

Validated User
Those Slaanesh minis are just gorgeous !

Never had a Chaos army, but honestly, I think that's going to change very soon.
I love the posing on the greater daemon. It’s all purpose and menace without the need for screaming, roaring or over the top waving of weapons.

The second one with the one standing in the other reminds me of the Morituri from Arena Rex.

Senex

Gunboat Diplomat
Validated User
I'll be honest, though, the announcement that has me most intrigued is the Fifty Shelves of Grey one - I'm the slowest painter in the world, so I'm interested to see what they're planning that can speed that up.

Top Bottom