• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[+][Warhammer] Age of Sigmar general discussion.

ecs05norway

Validated User
So I got a chance to actually sit down and play WarCry at a demo this weekend.

Very fast-paced and scenario-driven, with a deck of cards to generate a scenario with or pre-made campaign scenarios in the book.
Combat was simple, one dice-roll and you're done, no back-and-forth with to-hit, to-wound, save, invulnerable-save, etc. You're not guaranteed a kill, of course, far from it, but you can certainly feel that blood is flying. Alternating activations helps keep the pace up.

My biggest issue with it was game length. At only three turns there really isn't much room for any kind of strategy, it's rush the objectives, kill anything that gets in your way, and if you can off their leader, that's an insta-win. A slightly longer game would be appreciated.

Still, as it is, if a game runs more than 30-45 minutes, you're dithering.

Pricetag on the box seems awfully high -- you get a bunch of useful terrain, two warbands, and all the cards, tokens, etc, needed, except for all the stat cards for factions other than those two warbands -- but it'll run you $170 US.

drkrash

Fighter
Validated User
That seems like a ridiculous pricetag for the gameplay you described.

I suspect I'll stick with the Shadespire family for AOS Skirmishing.

Lord-Kragan

Validated User
That seems like a ridiculous pricetag for the gameplay you described.

I suspect I'll stick with the Shadespire family for AOS Skirmishing.
I mean, that is the full MSRP...which one would be damned to take. Most venues apply a 15% discount, so you're looking at about 145 usd (or less if you can snag from wayland)... which is the price you'd be paying for underworlds after a while (153 usd for core and 4 expansions).

Unlike, UW, it's a game that benefits greatly from having a more extense structure, a campaign rather than one-off games. It also has a ton more variability in it.

DocShoveller

Godwin's Lawman
Validated User
There's a lot of stuff in the box. I think for general use (if you play AoS) it's better value than any of the Warhammer Quest games.

BrianDR

Validated User
I pre-ordered for $144, and it feels like a really good deal for the amount of stuff in the box to me (especially for a gw product, although honestly if it wasn't gw and just a random Kickstarter, it would still feel like a fair price for the stuff you get)

Mercurial Sea

Smart Went Crazy
Validated User
Yeah, having gotten the chance to paw through an open Warcry box, the price tag seems very much in line with what we've seen from boxed sets in the recent past. It's on the pricier end (tho it's still not the most expensive GW box), but absolutely packed with stuff.

And the quicker games with somewhat simpler rules sound really appealing to me. My group struggles to play regularly but loves the idea of campaign play, so a game with less per-match investment is probably ideal for us.

Scutarii

Validated User
I've been watching a few demos and the actual gameplay on the table has not been that enthralling. As you said the short number of turns and very simple actions system doesn't give a lot of choices to make. Maybe the non-corebox warbands are more interesting than the corebox ones.

The campaign also seemed pretty disappointing. You can find one use artifacts to give to a model and the extent of the levelling system is 'if you did not die during the game, roll 1d6 for that model, on a 6 they get a Destiny point, you can spend a destiny point once per game per model to reroll any one die, once spent it is gone forever'

They do have a bit of narrative around them, each warband has a 9 mission campaign but each mission appears to just be randomly generated like a normal game so you're really just checking off a box after each game.

There's some glory gained too (which is basically points) which can be used to buy a few extra models. There is essentially no penalty to losing models.

I'm not really sure what to make of it. The 'act of playing' doesn't sound super engaging and the campaign doesn't sound like it's providing the 'evolving narrative' thing that older skirmish campaign games used to. It's probably fast enough to play through a good chunk of a campaign in an evening though.

Mengtzu

Another Kill Team...
Staff member
RPGnet Member
What they're going for with the campaign thing is *really* interesting - it doesn't actually rely on anyone else playing a campaign. I wish I had that in Kill Team, I'd love to have the Daughters of Russ be an ongoing concern without anyone needing to actually organise a campaign.

(I have played so, so much KT but only one campaign when I didn't really know what I was doing)

Lord-Kragan

Validated User
I've been watching a few demos and the actual gameplay on the table has not been that enthralling. As you said the short number of turns and very simple actions system doesn't give a lot of choices to make. Maybe the non-corebox warbands are more interesting than the corebox ones.

The campaign also seemed pretty disappointing. You can find one use artifacts to give to a model and the extent of the levelling system is 'if you did not die during the game, roll 1d6 for that model, on a 6 they get a Destiny point, you can spend a destiny point once per game per model to reroll any one die, once spent it is gone forever'

They do have a bit of narrative around them, each warband has a 9 mission campaign but each mission appears to just be randomly generated like a normal game so you're really just checking off a box after each game.

There's some glory gained too (which is basically points) which can be used to buy a few extra models. There is essentially no penalty to losing models.

I'm not really sure what to make of it. The 'act of playing' doesn't sound super engaging and the campaign doesn't sound like it's providing the 'evolving narrative' thing that older skirmish campaign games used to. It's probably fast enough to play through a good chunk of a campaign in an evening though.
Really, all this sounds is: "solid toolbox, tweak to your pleasure."

Mercurial Sea

Smart Went Crazy
Validated User
Really, all this sounds is: "solid toolbox, tweak to your pleasure."
Yeah, I was talking to my partner about it and we kind of came to the conclusion that a simple ruleset is a ruleset that's pretty easy to modify and/or build on, at least for a couple of rules-tinkerers like us. So the RAW might be less than ideal (I'm reserving any kind of judgment until I actually play the game myself), but definitely not a dealbreaker for us.

Top Bottom