• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

[Warhammer Quest] Blackstone Fortress

Mengtzu

Another Kill Team...
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Finally got back into the same country as my pre (now post I guess) order, assembled and played a game.

- It's fun! I like the mix of combat and challenges. The monsters are dumb but dangerous, which helps trap laying characters feel effective. The action economy is neat (though early grievous wounds might mean a death spiral), and I found UR-025 and Pious Vorne hilariously killy. The Aeldari was very solid, didn't get amazing results from the Kroot though, I think I need to use his melee more, he's not the sniper Ms Shadowguide is.

- Unless I'm getting something wrong respawns are relatively rare and successful novaing of enemies makes the encounters way less tense. This combined with searching being a much bigger thing and a lack of missions per se contrasts with Imperial Assault; in this respect it might be a bit more like a traditional dungeon crawler.

- I sped up considerably as I got used to the rules, but I'd still imagine an expedition is at least a two hour commitment. At least you only need to assemble the minis once :)

- The legacy/expanding aspects are neat, as is the inclusion of all the ziplocs to make use of them without going crazy.

- I ended up with 6 clues from expedition 1, we'll see how I go trying to get clues and do strongholds at the same time. Strongholds seem to have normal encounters in the lead up to the boss room, so you should be able to Search as normal.

- I think the game is fine solo? I'd honestly rather use it as a solo 40K kick and save face to face gaming time for Kill Team (even though I generally prefer coop games, I'm at peak KT hype cycle now and don't like the opportunity cost of not playing). But I'm looking forward to trying Servants of the Abyss.

Victim

Validated User
- Unless I'm getting something wrong respawns are relatively rare and successful novaing of enemies makes the encounters way less tense. This combined with searching being a much bigger thing and a lack of missions per se contrasts with Imperial Assault; in this respect it might be a bit more like a traditional dungeon crawler.
In the Guerrilla Miniatures videos posted earlier, reinforcements seemed rare, but rather dangerous because the enemies activated immediately after reinforcing and thus had a window to attack the heroes before people could really cut loose on them.

Mengtzu

Another Kill Team...
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
In the Guerrilla Miniatures videos posted earlier, reinforcements seemed rare, but rather dangerous because the enemies activated immediately after reinforcing and thus had a window to attack the heroes before people could really cut loose on them.
Yeah. You can use overwatch to mitigate this, particularly if you have someone like Ms Shadowguide with good sight lines to where the enemies are going to come out of the portal, but basically getting attacked is bad and you never want it to happen unnecessarily :)

Mengtzu

Another Kill Team...
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
I've been plugging along with my solo game.

- Clues appear to be a non-issue, my fifth mission will be my fourth stronghold.
- The Power Cell is an amazing piece of gear, though it does come from the only Stronghold that really made me sweat so far.
- Wargear helps a whole lot, some of the expensive stuff that works on an exhaust rather than a discard is absolute gold.
- Vorne and the UR-025 are super good but I'm still not sure about the Kroot. All three have an issue where getting them Inspired is iffy (UR-025's condition is easy but drones might literally never show), whereas Shadowguide, Draik, Ratlings and Navigator can all be perma inspired as soon as their item shows up. Vorne and UR-025 have the punch to make up for it, not sure for the Kroot.
- Rogue Psykers are super annoying. I don't know that disrupt is actually any worse than something that could cause a greivous wound, but it feels like an insult to lose destiny dice.

It's been feeling tense but at this stage isn't *too* hard. Still haven't fought Obsidius Mallex though, and I expect the final vault to be absolutely ridiculous. I may also be misinterpreting some rules by accident, playing solo there's no-one to pull you up on it.

gribble

Validated User
It's been feeling tense but at this stage isn't *too* hard. Still haven't fought Obsidius Mallex though, and I expect the final vault to be absolutely ridiculous. I may also be misinterpreting some rules by accident, playing solo there's no-one to pull you up on it.
We finished it last night, and I had pretty much the exact same feelings as you about the game. Probably not enough there yet to make me want to play through again, but maybe with some expansions there could be (particularly different strongholds and exploration cards).
It did feel pretty easy by the end, once we were all tooled up with gear and half of us perma-inspired. Even the final vault was relatively easy, although we got a bit lucky in that the first few enemy groups were all pretty weak (I think 4 negavolt cultists were the hardest), moreso because they only had 2 spaces for each group to deploy to (meaning some groups couldn't fully deploy at the start). I think it would have been much harder if we'd spawned more difficult enemy groups.

gribble

Validated User
How many expeditions total did you end up running?
Hard to recall exactly... but we probably did at least 3 or 4 before we attempted our first stronghold. Then we had enough clues to do the four strongholds and final vault all in a row. So probably around 8-9 expeditions in total?
In hindsight, things may have been more balanced if we had attempted the first stronghold as soon as we got four clues... :)

Mengtzu

Another Kill Team...
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Yeah, I did some extra runs after finishing the Strongholds for loot...and I probably shouldn't have :LOL:

It was fun to see more of the challenges, fight Mallex again etc, but having tons of items trivialises the final vault.

Spoiler: Show

I let Shadowguide open the vault, as she'd been my MVP. She ended up immortal (she always passes recovery rolls), and can double up on a weapon action once per turn ala Full Auto Setting.

I might have picked Vorne instead if I'd known, doubling up is super valuable on her AOE, but looking forward to taking Shadowguide into whatever any expansions can serve up.

I put my explorers back in the stasis chambers awaiting expansions. I'd *consider* replacing UR-025 and Grekh (whose ability to move and lay a trap down before combat I forgot in every single one of 30 odd combats), but overall it was a strong team.

Geoffrey21

Don't say, just cool.
Validated User
I wasn't really planning on getting this but a 30% Boxing Day discount, combined with some birthday money burning a hole in my pocket made me pick it up. It's really nice looking. I am excited to get at it the next time I have free time (as my Xmas holidays are drawing to a rapid close, alas...).

Top Bottom