[Warhammer Quest] Blackstone Fortress

Ascanius

Use the singular they!
Validated User
How's a commissar get corrupted? What happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning?

They're not magic - it happens the same way it does to anyone else, just more rarely.

Morsla

I mostly paint things
Validated User
I liked the explanation on FB: "All Commissars are traitors. It's the hats that are loyal."

Lose the hat, lose your way...

Petter Wäss

I am agape with fnords
Validated User
This. Don't get me wrong. The models are freaking awesome! But oy, just... even with the BSF stuff it's not worth having. Not for the "DLC+++++++" prices. If it had something like another sprue of the Guardsmen, or some new Guardsmen, or a group of new heroes? Maybe! Hell, even a "Loyal" Commissar and Ogryn or something for new characters! But as it stands? UGH. (the Ambull even worse! ONE model and some extra stuff for the game that doesn't come CLOSE to being worth the price!)

It's cool, but it's $30 cool, not $50 cool.

And I say this as someone who likes the game, and wants it to succeed. But this isn't NEARLY enough value to make it happen.
I feel like they should each come with a themed hero.
Maybe a Big Game Hunter, or Monster-Slayer for the Ambull. A loyalist Commissar, or Hereticus Inquisitor for this one.

Nerag

Cat Fragment
Validated User
I'm having a bit of a wtf at a traitor commissar as well. How'd that happen? Overnight corruption whilst held down by guardsmen and his bolt pistol locked in a drawer?
Goes from "Forward for the Emperor!" to "Eh you know what? I'm not the boss of you. You do your war your way..."

Gentleman Highwayman

Validated User
OK, I know I'm late to the Ambull party, but...

So yesterday I picked up the Ambots and the Dreaded Ambull expansion. The first Ambot took me about 20 minutes to assemble with its lots of fiddly little bits. The second took me half that time. (Yay familiarity!) The Ambull-proper was 6 pieces which I assembled without instructions--and it's little bugs too! The Ambull is CAF, but is clearly a narrative mini. Six parts, the whole thing is push fit, only one way to go together. It's a perfect gaming mini.

But I got two Ambots for 2/3rds the price of the Dreaded Ambull. Yes, the Dreaded Ambull is a box that contain a bunch of printed paper, but the sprue for the Ambull was almost half the size of one of the Ambot sprues, with significantly less parts than the Necromunda minis. And no minisplaining that one is for a boardgame and the other is for a...tabletop game. These are both for games that need to be played on your dining room table and are not likely to be huge sellers on their own.

The Ambull is at best a $30 mini with a bunch of paper. The Ambots while not as tall have more plastic in each one as the Ambull and yet comparatively come in at $20 a pop (just bundled as 2). This expansion is very poorly priced--especially if the next one comes in at the same price. The only reason the next expansion will be palpable (price wise) is that it will contain two minis that each would be sold individually for $25. Throw in some printed paper and $60 isn't crazy for two 40K character models. I worry the four minis shown in the 40K arena game will be priced at $100 because 4 x $25. If it also ends up at $60 then BSF might be a fiscally responsible (for GW) board game. But still seeing how little plastic the Ambull actually uses sours me on an otherwise brilliant model. I guess it's the high cost of nostalgia to me.

</rant>

AlphaAsh

Miserable Git
Validated User
...The Ambull is CAF, but is clearly a narrative mini. Six parts, the whole thing is push fit, only one way to go together. It's a perfect gaming mini... But still seeing how little plastic the Ambull actually uses sours me on an otherwise brilliant model. I guess it's the high cost of nostalgia to me.
The Ambull is a great mini and some of the most fun I've ever had painting one. I've yet to even try playing Blackstone Fortress yet, since the missus and I are always so pressed for playing time and I tend to want to paint than pour through rules. Still, I dearly would like to give the Ambull a chance to rip a few things apart. It was a high price for the nostalgia, but I think GW kinda knew that this time. (The bastards!)

Top Bottom