• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

[Warmahordes] Low-sodium discussion thread

enoto

E, not O.
Validated User
Most Warmachine/Hordes threads lately have been specific, and/or highly salty, so I thought I'd start a general-purpose, "low-salt" thread. Please, try to keep the negativity to a minimum here (myself not excepted).

I haven't been able to play much Mk III at all, but I'm excited to be getting back into it. In particular I'm very excited to try Company of Iron. Similar in concept to the Mk II league from a while back, you control small groups of dudes, no warcasters, no heavies; there are some customization options, although it's not clear to me whether there are any campaign rules.

Also, I've also been thinking I need some decent fantasy escapism lately and was thinking about picking up one of the IK novels. I've heard the Larry Correia ones aren't half-bad -- anyone read them? Any other recommendations? I'm a bit picky about my reading material so I'd like to stick with the best of the best, but on the other hand, I know this isn't going to be Tolkein or George RR Martin :)

Finally, is anyone participating in the CID? I'm not, but I was wondering what that experience is like. I saw the latest battle engine updates come through in War Room and wow, they look interesting to try out.

Deflare

Validated User
Finally, is anyone participating in the CID? I'm not, but I was wondering what that experience is like. I saw the latest battle engine updates come through in War Room and wow, they look interesting to try out.
I've kept an eye on the changes when they were relevant to stuff I play, and played one or two playtest games. Mostly it's a roller coaster of changes; the community has been kinda learning how to cope with CID's role in their perception of the game. The results usually shake out to something pretty sensible, but the initial spurt of material is usually total bananas.

My current Warmachine status: I agreed to participate in the I5 Team Tournament with some other Bay Area folks, one of who was on the winning team last year. It's a five-person team format using the WTC packet. And my serious-business faction to bring? Minions.

One list is solid, because Rask is freaking amazing. The other list has proven more tricky. I had a Barnabus list with two battle engines and a lot of guns; it was interesting, but didn't feel like it had a lot of staying power. I dropped the Meat Thresher for Wrongeye and Snapjaw. We'll see if that sticks. It's hard to find a pair for Rask because he's good at almost everything; the things Rask can't do, I'm not sure Minions can do as a faction. If I really wanted to be serious-business about this tournament, I'd probably play Cygnar alongside one of the other players--Cygnar definitely has 4 ballbusting casters to bring to the table. But Cygnar is also really boring compared to goofy Minion models, and I hate being the guy who's playing the most broken faction in the game.

At least painting gators again is fun.

enoto

E, not O.
Validated User
One of the things I'm most eager to try out is the no-limit Minions. I haven't played them at all in Mk III, so I still have a hard time believing I can mix my pigs and my gators! Any experience with Sturm & Drang this edition? I always loved their model and concept but they seemed a bit lackluster in Mk II.

I used to be in the Concord area, I miss it! Lots of good spots to game around there.

Deflare

Validated User
One of the things I'm most eager to try out is the no-limit Minions. I haven't played them at all in Mk III, so I still have a hard time believing I can mix my pigs and my gators! Any experience with Sturm & Drang this edition? I always loved their model and concept but they seemed a bit lackluster in Mk II.

I used to be in the Concord area, I miss it! Lots of good spots to game around there.
I played a bit with S&D a while ago. They're interesting. Sturm is actually probably one of the stronger warlocks in the faction, because his spell list is bonkers; the option to audible into Drang is nice to have in your back pocket. The main problems I had were that their feat is really weak, and I don't like Farrow battlegroups very much. There's probably room for a pretty good warbeast loadout. I've been leaning on 2 War Hogs and a Battle Boar, but War Hogs are incredibly frustrating beasts. There might be something better focused on their shooting lights. But for now, I'm sticking with gator battlegroups because Wrastlers are baller.

Callyn

Ghost
Validated User
I haven't been able to play much Mk III at all, but I'm excited to be getting back into it. In particular I'm very excited to try Company of Iron. Similar in concept to the Mk II league from a while back, you control small groups of dudes, no warcasters, no heavies; there are some customization options, although it's not clear to me whether there are any campaign rules.
I'm in a similar boat, I'd love to play more but I work early mornings and weekends so most scheduled play is not an option for me. I'm still enjoying Mk III, but I've never been the most competitive player.

Also, I've also been thinking I need some decent fantasy escapism lately and was thinking about picking up one of the IK novels. I've heard the Larry Correia ones aren't half-bad -- anyone read them? Any other recommendations? I'm a bit picky about my reading material so I'd like to stick with the best of the best, but on the other hand, I know this isn't going to be Tolkein or George RR Martin :)
Larry Correia is one of the founders of the Sad Puppies, so I don't know how his books are, but some of the Skull Island books are ok. I really liked the Black River Irregulars book, but Wrath of the Dragonfather was trash of the highest order. It really depends upon the author, but I think the less metaplot-y books are better.

enoto

E, not O.
Validated User
Larry Correia is one of the founders of the Sad Puppies, so I don't know how his books are, but some of the Skull Island books are ok. I really liked the Black River Irregulars book, but Wrath of the Dragonfather was trash of the highest order. It really depends upon the author, but I think the less metaplot-y books are better.
Cool, thanks for the recommendation - do you mean this one?

Callyn

Ghost
Validated User
Yes, that one. It doesn't spend a whole lot of time introducing the characters, but I'm not sure if you need to read the original novella (I have)to get the characters or not since they're the iconics for the RPG. I can recommend the original novella as well, but not as highly. I haven't read too much else from them, but the Gastone and Elara stories in Rites of Passage are also pretty good.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
I loved Godless, but I can't claim to having anything resembling taste.

I've not been able to play for a while, but am really looking forward to Iron Company. I'm hoping this will give me an excuse to buy some Cephylax in the near future :)

One of our other players in the RPG group is learning WarmaHordes, so this bodes well for me.

jimthegray

Validated User
having read the grymkin book and liking the info in it i will likely get an army before the end of the year, should be fun to paint and to play "assuming i can get around to playing"

carvincustom

Social Justice Rogue
Validated User
having read the grymkin book and liking the info in it i will likely get an army before the end of the year, should be fun to paint and to play "assuming i can get around to playing"
So if you want a head start, the Army box set is nice, but what's out there is all they will make so snap it up.The Origins BOGO sale got me back in, and locally a store has been building presence so I'm getting some games in for once. They are starting up a Journeyman League GenCon weekend, which is a thing where you take a starter box and add 15 points a week to come up to a full 75 point army by the end. I've got my army mostly planned (Doing the new Cryx Bane theme list, don't know what I'm doing for my last 15 points) and I think I can even afford to make it happen with a huge convention right at the start.

Top Bottom