• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

[Warmahordes] Low-sodium discussion thread

D13

Luckily Unlucky
Validated User
I ordered two a couple days ago when they went back in stock. I'm looking forward to seeing what's inside. I am mostly a painter nowadays with the Warmahordes community in my area crumbling. But I've been working on a Wargaming table so I can play at home. I'll probably set up some CoI with my friends, which the mystery boxes will help.

xWillxPx

Validated User
I believe this is the best place to ask this question:

There is a Warmachine miniature I’d like to use for a PC in an upcoming Dungeons and Dragons game, but I am concerned about base size(s).
As many of ya’ll probably know, 5th Ed D&D is played on a 1 inch grid. I’ve noticed most Privateer Press figurines are listed with 30mm or 40mm bases, both of which are larger than the 25mm standard for D&D.

I don’t mind the figure being large than the others in the party, that’s somehwat the point. What I would like to avoid is having a miniature so large, that adjudicating in game effects (like reach, movement, etc) is difficult.

Would ya’ll think a 40mm Privateer miniature could be squeezed onto a smaller base? Or am I likely to end up with a lonely mini that longs for friends?

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Dunno. Depends on the model, probably. Is there a particular one you're looking at? Aren't there some sizes of monsters that have larger bases (taking up multiple squares)? Or am I thinking of something else?

Side note: I've been trying to figure out how to get some friends into wargaming, and have been looking into all sorts of other games. I'm half wondering if maybe I should just get some of the battlegroup boxes for WarmaHordes instead. Not that I have anything against the other games so much as I'll get more mileage of them.

Deflare

Validated User
Chikahiro's right that it depends on the model. Generally speaking, the bulk of 40mm models really only fit on that base size; I struggle to imagine squeezing them down onto a 25mm base, though 30mm is somewhat more reasonable. But it depends on who you're talking about. Older sculpts also have less of a problem with this; Warmachine has gone through some definite scale creep over the years, and modern models are much larger than similar older sculpts. So if you're looking at the Butcher of Khardov, for example, his very first sculpt is somewhat smaller than the current Butcher1 sculpt (the current sculpt is larger than the Butcher2 sculpt, and the largest is Butcher3).

Does your group play with a grid mat? That can help with an overly-large base still being playable with the group. I've had no problem with 30mm round bases on my group's grid, even if there is a bit of overhang.

xWillxPx

Validated User
Dunno. Depends on the model, probably. Is there a particular one you're looking at? Aren't there some sizes of monsters that have larger bases (taking up multiple squares)? Or am I thinking of something else?
I was looking at the 'Exemplar Cinerator Officer" in this case. Though, I've wanted to use "Skaldi Bonehammer" as a Goliath Drunken Monk for a long time.

There are monsters with 50mm bases (4 squares), but not player characters. Technically, the spell "Enlarge" makes a PC 50mm, but there are a host of other advantages that go along with it. Which is part of the issue, I just want a cool miniature that represents a big character, I don't want a big character that has extra special abilities because of a cool mini, or to need to always remember that the character is smaller for the purpose of rules (which defeats the purpose of using mini's).

As to your sidenote, I've tried that gambit, didn't work out/ However, I did feel like I was doing more to foster the flame of my hobby which was nice.

gribble

Validated User
I was looking at the 'Exemplar Cinerator Officer" in this case. Though, I've wanted to use "Skaldi Bonehammer" as a Goliath Drunken Monk for a long time.
Based on the plastic Cinerators, both should be fine on a smaller base, so long as you're ok with a bit of overhang. Skaldi especially, as he's an older/smaller trollkin model.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
http://privateerpress.com/no-quarter-prime/farewell-to-no-quarter-prime

For thirteen years, No Quarter magazine (redubbed No Quarter Prime this past year) has come out like clockwork every two months, delivering a wide variety of mostly WARMACHINE and HORDES content with the occasional drop-in from some of Privateer’s many other game products. Over the past year, after relaunching as No Quarter Prime, we have produced some of the most expansive and detailed content for the history of the Iron Kingdoms and the Factions of WARMACHINE and HORDES ever released. We have tackled each issue with excitement for the subjects covered in the magazine, and we hope that our readers have enjoyed reading them as much as we did making them.

Sadly, the epic run for this great magazine has come to an end, and we must announce the retirement of No Quarter Prime. The limitations of print and the shifting preference among consumers for digital platforms have been increasingly felt. In keeping up with the times, we are redirecting our publishing resources to the creation of WARMACHINE and HORDES content that will be delivered online, taking advantage of the faster, more dynamic, and more responsive content capabilities that only digital delivery can offer.

We will miss the pallets of freshly printed magazines showing up and shipping out of our warehouse every two months the way one would miss a great friendship that is ending after so many years. But we are excited to be able to bring players of all of Privateer’s games more streaming and downloadable content in the future. Over the coming weeks and months, we’ll continue to dig into the nooks and crannies of the Iron Kingdoms, expand upon the iconic Factions of WARMACHINE and HORDES, and cover the latest events in a world besieged by a Monsterpocalypse, all through content delivered via our website. And we’ve even got a brand-new website design to unveil soon that will make this digital content all the more pleasing to digest.

For any subscribers with outstanding subscriptions, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience of the end of No Quarter Prime’s publication. Please check your email for information regarding your forthcoming refund options on your remaining subscription, which will be handled for you as expeditiously and efficiently as possible.

We want to thank our readers for your many years of support. It has been a pleasure to bring you No Quarter for over a dozen years. Please stick with us as we now change course and continue to bring you new content through a variety of mediums, building up
So, I see this and while its a bummer, its not a huge one for me. I've been going to Warhammer-community.com quite a bit in the past few months, and honestly that's the mark they need to be aiming at. Its a lot more achievable than competing with White Dwarf (which my local B&N hasn't gotten in for the past two months for some reason), and when you consider that No Quarter was ultimately support/marketing material for their games? Have a barrier to entry via cover price/subscription didn't make much sense. Doubly so when you consider it was bi-monthly.

I used to miss the Privateer Press Primecast podcast, but frankly, the regular streaming on Twitch and content on YouTube makes up for it in spades IMO. And, if they do it right, I think this will be a move for the better. They've been trying stuff out in the past few months, and I really do hope the new website knocks my socks off because the current one is very... uhm… yeah... :p

Top Bottom