[Warmahordes] Low-sodium discussion thread

sward

Validated User
So I have been thinking about getting started with casual Warmahorde, and I was wondering how it is easiest to go about.
I would need two small forces that would play well against each other (think more like a boardgame setup).

From reading I got the impression that the Warmachine two player starter, that otherwise seems perfect suffer from the evil undead, are underpowered compared to the boys in blue. Further I am not that sold on either of the two factions.

The Horde starter I haven't been able to find, how well the two forces work against each other. Here my issues are that I am in general more leaning towards Warmachine, and I find the trollkin aesthetics a bit boring.

Another solution seems to be buying two of the start collecting boxes (though that doubles the rulebook, and map but oh well), but how well does these work by themselves? And how well do they square of against each other?
The factions that interest me the most are:
Khador (giant communist robots), Menoth (religious fanatics with flamethrowers), Skorne (enslaved elephant men).

Part of what made me think about Warmahorde is that moving the opponents troops, or extra move your own seems to be a big part of it, and movement shenanigans is usually what I find interesting.

So any suggestions?

gribble

Validated User
Khador (giant communist robots), Menoth (religious fanatics with flamethrowers), Skorne (enslaved elephant men).
If you can find the old 2e two player starter set, it was Khador vs Menoth. Of course, you'll get 2e cards and rules, but you can download the 3e cards and rules from the PP website, so that shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

sward

Validated User
If you can find the old 2e two player starter set, it was Khador vs Menoth. Of course, you'll get 2e cards and rules, but you can download the 3e cards and rules from the PP website, so that shouldn't be too much of a hassle.
Yeah, I thought about it, but haven't been able to find it for at least 1.5x the newer starter set.

PrinceOfSwords

Validated User
If you are playing mostly with a group of friends and are a little short on cash warmachine is really easy to proxy up for two important reasons.

Figures have rule-defined volumes not model dependent ones.

The cards are available for free online.

This can let you buy models AFTER playing games with them, which will make bulding the collection much easier.

IceShadow

Painting Fiend
Staff member
RPGnet Member
So I have been thinking about getting started with casual Warmahorde, and I was wondering how it is easiest to go about.
I would need two small forces that would play well against each other (think more like a boardgame setup).

From reading I got the impression that the Warmachine two player starter, that otherwise seems perfect suffer from the evil undead, are underpowered compared to the boys in blue. Further I am not that sold on either of the two factions.

The Horde starter I haven't been able to find, how well the two forces work against each other. Here my issues are that I am in general more leaning towards Warmachine, and I find the trollkin aesthetics a bit boring.

Another solution seems to be buying two of the start collecting boxes (though that doubles the rulebook, and map but oh well), but how well does these work by themselves? And how well do they square of against each other?

Part of what made me think about Warmahorde is that moving the opponents troops, or extra move your own seems to be a big part of it, and movement shenanigans is usually what I find interesting.

So any suggestions?
Most factions have some movement shenanigans, but if you want to get really crazy, you want a Telekinesis caster. The ability to move models 2", 100% certainty on your own models, opens up a lot of fun play. There's casters with the spell in Cygnar (Haley2), Retribution (Rahn), Mercs/Cephalyx (Thexus), Cryx (Scaverous), and Circle (Krueger2). Of those factions, Ret and Circle have the most movement shenanigans.

sward

Validated User
If you are playing mostly with a group of friends and are a little short on cash warmachine is really easy to proxy up for two important reasons.

Figures have rule-defined volumes not model dependent ones.

The cards are available for free online.

This can let you buy models AFTER playing games with them, which will make bulding the collection much easier.
That is a very good suggestion, except that the primary thing that interest me in mini-wargaming at all is the figures. So unless I was already very in to the game, I can't see myself proxying.

Most factions have some movement shenanigans, but if you want to get really crazy, you want a Telekinesis caster. The ability to move models 2", 100% certainty on your own models, opens up a lot of fun play. There's casters with the spell in Cygnar (Haley2), Retribution (Rahn), Mercs/Cephalyx (Thexus), Cryx (Scaverous), and Circle (Krueger2). Of those factions, Ret and Circle have the most movement shenanigans.
Thanks for the advice. Already bought the Skorne, and Menoth intro boxes (mostly because they were cheap), and now I have run into my usual issue of not having anyone to play with

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Okay, I'm looking at Company of Iron and thinking I need a Gator army. What would make for a simple list or two? I don't know much about Gators...

Catulle

Black Rabbit of Inle
Validated User
Posse is your bread-and-butter, I'd suggest the Witch Doctor for some utility (shadow walk, basically) and Longchops, because that model is just *fun*... brings you to a neat 25 points that gets to the core of gatoring.

Top Bottom