• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Warmahordes] Low-sodium discussion thread

gribble

Validated User
Hrm... not sure what I think of the Riot Quest to WM/H crossover. Neat?
Yeah, I hear you. Not a fan of the RQ models in WM/H, because I just don't think the gonzo-factor of their lore and models really fits with WM/H. To be fair, a lot of WM/H models are already pretty gonzo, but these guys seem to turn it up to 11.
The game itself might be fun - if there was any way to try it out locally I might be tempted - but I'm definitely not buying it sight unseen. It a moot point though, because I can't see any of the local stores even stocking the game, much less having an open demo copy. They don't even stock WM/H any more. :(

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
New videos!

Quick overview of Oblivion, with a tease of something at the end! I am looking forward to seeing the campaign thing in full. I feel like the chart isn't all there is to it.

New Minicrate preview for 2019! I really want that female Paladin of the Wall for a character model in our IKRPG campaign.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
So, there's something going on with hills? o_O

Tangentially related: new Riot Quest models announced. I don't know about for Warmachine, but as an IKRPG player these are quite nice. I like how many are metal (or are metal and resin versus just resin).

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
So, the upcoming rules digest removes hills? I'm... really curious... Anyhow, watching right now. We don't use theme forces when we play, but still...

Stingray

Validated User
Seems like they change Theme Forces in a way to encourage you to buy more otherwise redundant models. (e.g. you get 3 Misery Cages for free). I really dislike that.

Deflare

Validated User
Seems like they change Theme Forces in a way to encourage you to buy more otherwise redundant models. (e.g. you get 3 Misery Cages for free). I really dislike that.
Not exactly how it works? Or at least, that's not the core of the changes.

Basically, they're taking away the aspect where any theme force is straightjacketed into one particular design if it wants to avoid giving up free models. Instead, every theme force gets 3 free choices, regardless of composition. Those choices are generally balanced around being 6 points--hence options like "3 Gallows Groves" or "3 Misery Cages", which are more an accident than anything else (because getting just 1 free Misery Cage or Gallows Grove would be a crappy deal). If your preference is to just have three free 4-6 point solos, every preview theme I've seen allows that.

I'm cautiously hopeful? As a player of factions with limited options, it's nice for my theme options to open up somewhat--I no longer feel stupid for running beast heavy with Gators, and Grymkin's Bump in the Night list doesn't need to be all infantry, all the time anymore. The standardization should help level the playing field on theme forces, which have historically had some wacky balance issues. But also, I'm sure some new balance issues will be introduced with the new option-set, and the mechanics for the initiative reroll that a lot of themes get are annoyingly vague so far.

Deflare

Validated User
I'm more curious about hills. No elevation bonuses, is that right?
From my understanding, hills are being removed from the game.

The argument: Everyone uses flat terrain for the game, and it looks bad. The main argument against 3D terrain is that hills screw with model placement (especially the hills that PP brings to events which are some of the most slippery bastards I ever done did see). Therefore, if hills are removed from the game, people will use 3D terrain, which looks better and makes the game more appealing.

The reality: 2D terrain printed onto neoprene doesn't look substantially less nice or realistic than a beat-up game store terrain. There are still significant logistical problems with 3D terrain (houses blocking players' sight of models and getting knocked over, ruining gamestate; terrain blocking accurate measurements; old template terrain getting warped and spinning like a turntable at the smallest bump). 2D terrain is also cheaper and easier to carry around and store. Therefore, players will continue using flat terrain and the lack of hills will change nothing.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
I just remember something from the keynote being about elevation and the elevation bonus. Taking that out would streamline things I suppose. That's the version I've heard. Not so much about 3d/2d terrain.

I'm wondering what else got changed. I hope they've got the new rules digest available for download soon.

Top Bottom