[Wayfarers] Help me understand the Spell System.

Jhulae

Shadow Mage
Validated User
The rules explaining the Spell system are pretty sparse. It seems Vancian in one section (memorize each individual spell you want to cast) but then seems more freeform (cast any spells you've learned in a given level, up to your maximum spells per day) in another section.

The given examples are so short they really don't explain much either.

I'm lost and need help understanding exactly how it's supposed to work.

Metathiax

Old & New-School Gestalt
Validated User
It is Vancian in the sense that casters can cast a certain number of spells per day and they need to refresh their spellcasting ability by studying their spellbook but they don't need to memorize individual spells. They can cast any combination of spells that they know up to their daily limit. At least, this is how I understand it and how I've been playing.

Can you point out the page of the rulebook in which the memorization of each individual spell is mentioned?

Liryel

Self-******
Validated User
She and I have been talking about the magic. For me the confusion lays in how it's described in the magic section, it talks about learning and rememorizing spells. But it's kind of vague about it.

My conclusion was that you needed to have a spellbook with spells you have learned. Sitting down to study was to make sure the spells stay fresh in the character's mind. Any of the spells you know can be cast, you don't have to memorize specific spells.

Metathiax

Old & New-School Gestalt
Validated User
My conclusion was that you needed to have a spellbook with spells you have learned. Sitting down to study was to make sure the spells stay fresh in the character's mind. Any of the spells you know can be cast, you don't have to memorize specific spells.
This is also my interpretation.

Jhulae

Shadow Mage
Validated User
okay, so it has a 'Monty Cook's Arcana Unearthed' feel with the 'spell slots' (minus the trading in higher/lower slot rules except for divine magic). That's honestly what I almost thought it was, but it wasn't really very clear.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom