[Wayfarers RPG] Converting the Dark Sun campaign world

Jhulae

Shadow Mage
Validated User
Okay, Wayfarers is my system of choice. Dark Sun is going to be the campaign world of choice. The issues are converting stuff into Wayfarer's ruleset.

For races, I was going to use the mechanics of the races given in the rulebook for humans, and dwarves, converting the Wayfarer Orcs into DS Mul. (Maybe another race might be good for that?) I'm not sure if I want Half-Giants as PCs, and I think halflings would stay as NPCs too. As for elves, I'm not sure how to easily incorporate some of the DS Elf traits into the Wayfarer elves without making them a bit overpowered.

as far as classes go, I'm not sure about Defilers and how I could include them. They seem like they'd be too powerful if mage points were lowered for defilers, but the 'green' mage characters would be weaker if they had to take extra skills to overcome defiling magic.

The divine magic rules seem alright for Templars and elementalists, but the question is figuring out which cleric spheres and whatnot fit each of them.

And, then there are the dragon lords. Oy. I don't *even* know where to begin with them. NPCs definitely, so I guess they could each be unique. I certainly wouldn't expect/want a PC to become one.

That's what I have so far, but I'm not all that good at converting stuff so any help would be appreciated.

Metathiax

Old & New-School Gestalt
Validated User
Okay, Wayfarers is my system of choice. Dark Sun is going to be the campaign world of choice.
Cool! I'm currently loving Wayfarers and I really enjoyed Dark Sun back then.

The issues are converting stuff into Wayfarer's ruleset.
I'll try to help you out but, please bear with me, I haven't cracked a Dark Sun book open for years now.

For races, I was going to use the mechanics of the races given in the rulebook for humans, and dwarves, converting the Wayfarer Orcs into DS Mul. (Maybe another race might be good for that?) I'm not sure if I want Half-Giants as PCs, and I think halflings would stay as NPCs too. As for elves, I'm not sure how to easily incorporate some of the DS Elf traits into the Wayfarer elves without making them a bit overpowered.
As for the races, the orc (or half-orc) write-up sounds like a reasonable choice for the mul. If you own the GM's reference book, you could make a decent half-giant out of the ogre optional race. You could also use the haubit to convert the halfling should you want to do so.

I can't remember but what were the elves' special traits other than being fast runners (easy to translate with one or two free ranks of the Running proficiency)?

You didn't mention it but I'm sure the Thri-kreen could also be converted with some creativity. Maybe +1 to Agility (or even +2), +1 to Endurance, -1 to Intellect, and -2 to Presence (or even -3). Award them with the Iron Skin optional discipline but limit the type of armor they can wear (if at all). No special eyesight? I might be able to give more suggestions if you refresh my memory with their traits.

as far as classes go, I'm not sure about Defilers and how I could include them. They seem like they'd be too powerful if mage points were lowered for defilers, but the 'green' mage characters would be weaker if they had to take extra skills to overcome defiling magic.
How about using Ritual magic to replicate Defilers since it already includes some nasty sacrificial features?

The divine magic rules seem alright for Templars and elementalists, but the question is figuring out which cleric spheres and whatnot fit each of them.
How about Damnation as a primary domain, Revelation as a secondary domain, and Tellurgy as a tertiary domain for Templars?
How about Tellurgy as a primary domain, Revelation as a secondary domain, and Benefaction as a tertiary domain for Druids?
How about Tellurgy and Benefaction as primary domains for Water clerics? Unable to use fire-based spells but a bonus when using water-based ones?
How about Tellurgy and Damnation as primary domains for Fire clerics? Unable to use water-based spells but a bonus when using fire-based ones?
How about Tellurgy as a primary domain, Damnation as a secondary domain, and Benefaction as a tertiary domain for Earth clerics? Unable to use air-based spells but a bonus when using earth-based ones?
How about Tellurgy as a primary domain, Benefaction as a secondary domain, and Damnation as a tertiary domain for Air clerics? Unable to use earth-based spells but a bonus when using air-based ones?

And, then there are the dragon lords. Oy. I don't *even* know where to begin with them. NPCs definitely, so I guess they could each be unique. I certainly wouldn't expect/want a PC to become one.
I would just leave that to the realm of NPCs.

That's what I have so far, but I'm not all that good at converting stuff so any help would be appreciated.
You could even push the envelop by modifying Hedge magic so that it mimics Psionic powers.

Top Bottom