• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Wayfarers- What are the general thoughts on it?

fluffykins0

Bringer of Adorable Doom
Validated User
I've been reading Wayfarers, and really enjoying it. I was just wondering what everyone else thought of it, or if there were any thoughts at all. I'm thinking i might give it a go today when my group gets together.

So, who here has played it some? how does it work out in practice? Anything else you'd like to add?

Also, for those unaware of it, the pdf is free at: http://yeoldegamingcompanye.com/

Thanks all.

Ace

Banned
Glad I grabbed it before it was gone. Thanks for the pointer. I haven't played it though. Sorry I can't help.

markkat

J. T. Swill III
Validated User
Hey fluffykins0, glad to hear you are enjoying reading it.

We are only a couple of months old, so I imagine there aren't too many groups that have sat down to play Wayfarers just yet. We do have some folk on our forums I know are running it, one of whom is keeping a campaign journal there.

You won't be surprised to hear that I've run it, and I'm starting a new campaign soon. In fact, the system is the result of about 20 years of gaming. Actually, G. Vrill, the author of the World of Twylos section, was the primary GM for what would become Wayfarers. The WoT itself contains 20+ years of campaign ideas, and IMHO I think it shows.

In terms of combat, I think GMs often underestimate the strength of a new party. Although the game seems similar, it has a pretty unique power-feel, and combat can feel a bit swingy until you get used to what to throw at the PCs. As armor absorbs damage but lowers dodge, you might find actual hits occur more than you'd expect. A consequence of this is that teaming-up on a foe gives a party quite an advantage. If you've got a big baddie, you might want to give him a few lackies to mess with the PCs while they face him. Mixing melee and ranged opponents works well for this too.

Also, spells look weak, but are surprisingly potent. As there are four types of magic, you might find your group interested in making a lot of casters. This is tough on a GM new to the game. -Just a warning. Watch out for those low-level priests and hedge mages, especially for non-combat effects.

That said, two groups can run the same game very differently, and in play-testing, we saw the game from new perspectives. So of course, YMMV.

At any rate, I'm glad you've found it a good read, if nothing else. The WoT has some great ideas to be stolen. I know Ars Mysteriorum is on these forums and he's played it. Maybe he'll drop by this thread for a less bias point-of-view. :) If you do play, consider having your players submit their new characters to our Character Creation Contest. As it stands, they have a good chance of winning a book.

Cheers!

-Jimmy

Gremory

After Dark
Validated User
I'm running a campaign of it. I feel like the best point of it is that it cherry picks the best parts from the various editions of D&D and puts them together in one game. For instance, the game has 1st Editions four types of magic, a more streamlined version of 2nd edition's initiative system (d10 with small modifiers), and a skill system that resembles 3rd ed. in spirit, but it much more smoothly implemented, IMO. Play, especially combat, is old-school fast, and character generation takes only about 15 minutes. Nonetheless, the point-buy system lets you make unique, mechanically interesting characters. Prepping for it is easy. The art ranges from awesome to meh to exactly like the 1st Ed. DMG. It's also free, which is pretty sweet.

The system has some slight transparency issues in combat, since it uses old-school non-character statblocks for monsters, which only give you enough info to run them in fights. I think the GMing advice is great personally, but I think it wouldn't go over as well with many of the folks around here- It advocates keeping the PCs in the dark about a lot of things and running the game as an interactive story. Of course, that has nothing to do with the mechanics as they are presented, and I personally don't feel they lend any more power to the GM than any other set of objective rules does.

At any rate, I'm liking it enough that I bougth a hardcover copy. I'll probably be using it for my D&D needs from now on, since 4E isn't really my cup of tea. I did some playtesting for Wayfarers and made a couple small contributions on a volunteer basis, so my opinions of them aren't biased beyond the fact that I just plain enjoy it.

Ars Mysteriorum

Esoteric Scholar
I've been reading Wayfarers, and really enjoying it. I was just wondering what everyone else thought of it, or if there were any thoughts at all. I'm thinking i might give it a go today when my group gets together.

So, who here has played it some? how does it work out in practice? Anything else you'd like to add?

Also, for those unaware of it, the pdf is free at: http://yeoldegamingcompanye.com/

Thanks all.
Hey, fluffykins.

I'll happily lend my thoughts on this game.

I began playing AD&D 2e as a pre-teen and, as kids do, we changed the rules of a game to better fit our own imaginings. This resulted in some of the fondest memories of my childhood.

Sadly, my RPGs were yanked from me at the age of 15 by some overly Christian-minded parents.

Strangely, as we grow up and read things more, those strange, imaginative powers tend to fade and be replaced by a willingness to follow rules rather than create them. Even if we do create them, they are usually far more intricate and carefully done and for deeply thought-out reasons.

It wasn't until I was in university when I realized my independence and purchased 3.5 D&D.

Since that time, I've been working to recapture that innovative spark of gaming I had as a child, but rules and/or settings seemed to get in the way. I had resigned myself to this until I recently found Wayfarers.

In Wayfarers I found a compromise between childhood memories and the rational mind of an adult. The rules have been neatly tailored to facilitate in creating a uniquely individual character at all stages of play and focus on actually roleplaying, yet still has a balance of all the heroic imagery of a warrior capable of incredible feats of martial skill and wizards with puissant magics capable of altering the fabric of reality.

The ultimate difference between Wayfarers and the current trend of gaming is the concept of working to attain those powers. D&D 4e has powerful abilities as well, but they are expected rather than hard-won. When you character finally grips in his hand a weapon that hums with magic, it is more than a simple +1 longsword. It's the Talon of Vhandur, a blade wielded by a hero of legend, crafted by ancient wizards of old, a truly unique and powerful weapon.

These are things one can inject into any game, but this book resonates with that passion for storytelling that we thrived on as children, and that is what sets the mood for Wayfarers, in my opinion.

All right, enough of the rose-tinted what-have-you.

In play, this game runs like a dream. Combat is, indeed, a threat, but not one nearly as seemingly insurmountable as what we see in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay or Call of Cthulhu (which, I will add, are actually not that insurmountable...). This game makes for the darkly epic battles akin to the works of Robert E. Howard, where what would be a mere scuffle in D&D 4e is instead a tense and engaging battle. It is the writers' intention that any given battle leaves the characters in tough shape, but not dead.

This model of gameplay seems to place a greater emphasis on plot and roleplaying with battles as the capstone of the story.

Best of all, the game does not slow to a crawl once battle starts. Battle is incredibly fast and easy to run as a player AND a GM. No grids, minis, etc. necessary. I usually need only give a rough sketch of the environs and placement of the characters, and away we go!

I really can't say enough great things about this game. It's honestly my favorite game, period.

If you have any other pointed questions, I'd be happy to give you my opinion.

There's no reason anyone who likes fantasy games shouldn't own it (especially since it's free until December 1st).

Top Bottom