• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Weapons of the Gods] Separating setting from system

Little Blessed Villain

Solo Social Justice Brute
Validated User
So, I've got Weapons of the Gods, not Legends of the Wulin (I'm considering switching for the game I've got planned). At first I thought that it'd be easy to cut out the setting for a politically-heavy game that I wanna run for some guys who have never heard of the game or the comics. However, after looking through these Lore Sheet things, I'm not so sure. Granted, Lore Sheets are entirely up to the players, but some of them have very tangible benefits if you spend the Destiny.

Since I'm going for a generic Wuxia-inspired setting, how difficult would it be to use the Weapons of the Gods system versus Legends of the Wulin?

Sage Genesis

Two
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Both WotG and LotW are pretty easy to do with a different setting. You'll just need to make a couple of lore sheets of your own for whatever city, faction, or theme you had in mind. Which can be a lot of fun actually if tinkering and setting-brewing is your thing.

And I'd like to think that LotW is a little easier to use, because we sure didn't plan on making things harder, but I'm obviously biased. I'll let others be the judge of this.

capric

Retired User
I found the setting loresheets for Legends of the Wulin a lot more digestable. WotG works fine as generic setting... if you're (very) familiar with wuxia tropes and/or chinese morality systems. If you're less familiar, LotW is a LOT more approachable.

Kaiju Keiichi

Banned
I'm of the school that all rpgs have baked into their foundations setting assumptions, some moreso than others - witness the difficulties of doing supers or mecha in games like D20 or GURPS (from my understanding, those genres were not runaway hits with those systems.) My question to you would be - what is your setting like, and what do you want your system to do at the game table in terms of both playstyle and setting emulation?

Little Blessed Villain

Solo Social Justice Brute
Validated User
Originally it was going to be a European feudal fantasy politics/revolution game, with the player characters as major movers and shakers who could determine the outcome of a revolutionary war of succession, whether they backed a specific claimant or the guilds or themselves (guilds referring to generic wealthy families a la the dragonmarked houses from Eberron, without the magical advantages).

When I was researching what system I wanted to use with a friend we decided on WotG because of its neat dice system. Then I briefly considered The Burning Wheel but I didn't like its approach to magic, so came back to WotG.

capric

Retired User
LotW's dice system has empirically been found to be 34% sexier than WotG's. Just sayin.

Having said that, WotG does have (through a supplement) written rules for mass combat and mass intrigue through the always awesome Great Game. That particular subsytem is just about perfect for adding some mechanical flavor to politicking and wars. LotW does not such a subsystem--yet.

ogami_ito

Validated User
LotW's dice system has empirically been found to be 34% sexier than WotG's. Just sayin.

Having said that, WotG does have (through a supplement) written rules for mass combat and mass intrigue through the always awesome Great Game. That particular subsytem is just about perfect for adding some mechanical flavor to politicking and wars. LotW does not such a subsystem--yet.
This is somewhat off-topic but I got to ask.

You know, I ahave only been at EOS for a little more than a year and I have been out of RPGs for about 20 years. So I don't know much about WotG, although I consider Brad Eliot and Jenna Moran friends. My understanding is that WotG original IP (the comic book) was all about high-powered fighting. My understanding is that Jenna did her Jenna thing, and added a touch of mysticism and creation-myth stuff. So, I really don't know how this Great Game (which Jenna made) got in there and how much it fits with WotG. And it really does not seem very wuxia-ish to me.

I'm thinking... no...I decided to make a LotW board game to publish this year. And according to my current thoughts, I could make it somewhat compatible with the LotW RPG, although not as open-ended and versatile as the Great Game seems to be. On the other hand, with little effort we could also update the Great Game for LotW and sell it for a small price on DTRPG. We could make the new rules much better than the original, with better examples, sample maps, charts, etc. But my question is... how core is this to the rules of WotG? And of the fans of WotG, do most fans like the Great Game?

Odie

If only she could breathe
Validated User
And of the fans of WotG, do most fans like the Great Game?
I've never heard any fan of WotG say anything but good things about the Great Game* (although many also tempered their praise with admissions of bewilderment). There's been much hope for a LotW version of the Great Game over in the Wulin discussion threads.

-B

*Disclaimer: I didn't frequent a lot of WotG threads, so maybe I missed a cadre of detractors somewhere.

FigureFour

Validated User
I'm thinking... no...I decided to make a LotW board game to publish this year. And according to my current thoughts, I could make it somewhat compatible with the LotW RPG, although not as open-ended and versatile as the Great Game seems to be. On the other hand, with little effort we could also update the Great Game for LotW and sell it for a small price on DTRPG. We could make the new rules much better than the original, with better examples, sample maps, charts, etc. But my question is... how core is this to the rules of WotG? And of the fans of WotG, do most fans like the Great Game?
For what it's worth, I wouldn't give two shits about a LotW board game, but I would dive head first into a LotW version of the Great Game without a second thought. Being open-ended and versatile was the best part.

Now, I don't think you'd have to radically change the Great Game to make it work for LotW (I'd like to see some tweaks like giving Status some mechanical teeth) and I've even considered giving it a re-read and seeing if I could just use it as is. If you think you could make some minor updates and sell it on the cheep, I'd be totally excited, but you might miss a chance to sell me on another sourcebook . . .

As for not being wuxia-ish . . . I seem to recall an example involving using the Great Game to represent a philosophical duel between a Confucian and a Buddhist being decided by who could convert a gang ridden neighborhood to their point of view through wisdom, political influence and furious kung fu.

It was awesome.

Edit: It was a Confucian and a Daoist, and it came from right here on RPG.net

Last edited:
Top Bottom