Webnovel / Webserials Discussion Thread

CynoT

Nuclear Energy Advocate
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Question: if you search for The Mech Touch you will find multiple sites with it, and only Webnovels seems to cost funbux. What's going on with that?
Late, but I only got into this series myself.

The short answer is Webnovel is the official publisher and those other sites are pirating them.

Webnovels funbux can be obtained free or bought with real money. Webnovels keeps track which funbux are bought with real money. When you spend the ones bought with real money, half of it minus transaction fees go to the author.

To be frank I have not spent a single cent on Webnovels because the whole set-up seems predatory (Webnovels own the publishing rights for all derivatives, for example, though they promise a 50-50 split), and if anyone knows if Exlor (author of The Mech Touch) has a Patreon or Kofi or Paypal account that I can send a few bucks at, let me know.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
To be frank I have not spent a single cent on Webnovels because the whole set-up seems predatory (Webnovels own the publishing rights for all derivatives, for example, though they promise a 50-50 split), and if anyone knows if Exlor (author of The Mech Touch) has a Patreon or Kofi or Paypal account that I can send a few bucks at, let me know.
Apparently Webnovels also has a monthly $25 "everything is available" package. I'm not certain of that because I refuse to set up a login with them. If true, that's kind of ridiculous considering Netflix is less than 1/2 that cost.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Oops, should've put this in this thread...

Chrysalis by RinoZ.

It's a reincarnation/game-ish fantasy type story in the vein of 'So I'm a Spider, So What?'. Remember the fun dungeon crawling chapters of that one before Kumoko got super powerful and wrapped up in the world's plot? This is a lot like that section, following our lead ant, Anthony, and his travels through the dungeon, search for his colony, etc.. Being an ant, a lot less solitary than Spider was!

I'm 120 chapters in yet, and we get the occasional glimpse of the human side, including a cool bunch, the Dungeon Legion, who's badasses are so badass that they can only fully function in the thick mana of the deeper dungeon (Dungeon in this case being a huge deep underdark), and we get to see some events from both sides.

So if you're into that kind of 'reincarnated as an animal, evolve and gain abilities in a dungeon type setting,' story, I give it a nod.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Given how many of these serials are...well...Serial, what's your strategy for reading stories? Do you binge until you're caught up, then drop the story? Have just enough stories to keep you sated with their weekly updates?

I tend to keep caught up on the stories I'm following until I stumble over a new story. Then I read all of that, and then try to catch up with all the chapters of the other stories I'm following. For example, I recently caught up on The Mech Touch and Erogamer. Now I'm caught up on most of the rest of the stories I follow, but I'm about 20 chapters behind on The Wandering Inn, which will take awhile as The Wandering Inn has some of the longest chapters of any story I read.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I read til I'm caught up, then stay up to date. I'm fine with reading a chapter or three while eating lunch or such! (Which is about how much I can do with the free 'gems').

I haven't been able to find a patreon for Exlor, though RinoZ has one- https://www.patreon.com/RinoZ

Tulip

I binge until I'm caught up, then track the story by whatever means of tracking is convenient (often RSS), and do my best to read every new chapter within a day of its coming out in order to avoid building up an excessive backlog. (Although occasionally, if I'm particularly busy on a day, I'll let that day's story updates build up and then read them all at once on the next day that I'm not particularly busy.) The goal is less "become sated with weekly updates" and more just "keep track of all stories I've judged worth keeping track of"; I'm pretty frequently under capacity, since stories end and it can take a while after they do before I run into more new ones to track.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I binge until I'm caught up, then track the story by whatever means of tracking is convenient (often RSS), and do my best to read every new chapter within a day of its coming out in order to avoid building up an excessive backlog. (Although occasionally, if I'm particularly busy on a day, I'll let that day's story updates build up and then read them all at once on the next day that I'm not particularly busy.) The goal is less "become sated with weekly updates" and more just "keep track of all stories I've judged worth keeping track of"; I'm pretty frequently under capacity, since stories end and it can take a while after they do before I run into more new ones to track.
This reflects my strategy, but reading one chapter in each of 5+ stories in a week has left me feeling rather scattered.

Also, with rare exceptions, I'm not finding many stories that finish or even those that just stop.

acksed

Validated User
There Is No Epic Loot Here, Only Puns creates a new twist on the 'becoming a dungeon' plot that's so in vogue these days. The hapless lady chosen to control the dungeon doesn't want to kill everyone: in fact she'd rather not hurt anyone at all. To say any more would be spoilers, but she's almost Disneyesque in approach, despite her dungeon, its aesthetics, the nearby town and/or circumstances sometimes... not aligning.
Spoiler: Show
The mushrooms, the damn mushrooms...:)

Notsteve

The work of an enemy stand
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've been quite enjoying No Epic Loot as well. It's fun to start, and it also seems to be weathering the transition to having an overarching plot pretty well.

Top Bottom