• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Webnovel / Webserials Discussion Thread

Bull

Professional Game Convention Drunk
Validated User
That ones on my "to read" list, but I've kinda let most of my Royal Road reads slip for now as I've been focusing on Kindle Unlimited series for a while. Figure let the RR Webseries build up a couple months of chapters so I have a solid chunk of reading.

Shay Guy

Validated User
Huh, I recognize that title -- it gets a fair number of views on Spacebattles regularly, though the author is probably better-known there for his Worm crossover fiction. ("A Skittering Heart", "The Digicrest of Escalation", and "Screw the Rules, I have Escalation!" would be the top 3, in which Worm's protagonist gets powers from Kingdom Hearts, Digimon, and Yu-Gi-Oh respectively.) Or "The One Ring", if you prefer to hang out in the Quest forum over Creative Writing.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Oops, should've put this in this thread...

Chrysalis by RinoZ.

It's a reincarnation/game-ish fantasy type story in the vein of 'So I'm a Spider, So What?'. Remember the fun dungeon crawling chapters of that one before Kumoko got super powerful and wrapped up in the world's plot? This is a lot like that section, following our lead ant, Anthony, and his travels through the dungeon, search for his colony, etc.. Being an ant, a lot less solitary than Spider was!

I'm 120 chapters in yet, and we get the occasional glimpse of the human side, including a cool bunch, the Dungeon Legion, who's badasses are so badass that they can only fully function in the thick mana of the deeper dungeon (Dungeon in this case being a huge deep underdark), and we get to see some events from both sides.

So if you're into that kind of 'reincarnated as an animal, evolve and gain abilities in a dungeon type setting,' story, I give it a nod.

I'm fully caught up on this now-

On the Abyssal Legion (their proper name)
Spoiler: Show
They're full-on dungeon Space Marines. Intense loyalty, initiation process that kills many, and hard-to-make power armor only they can use.

And on the main crew-
Crinis is a ball of black shadowy tentacles with teeth and such on them and is absolutely adorable.

St.Just

Lacking all conviction
Validated User
So, I think this is the right thread for it-anyone else read Unsong? It's a (complete) web serial about a world where the lunar mission...crashes into the Crystal Sphere surrounding the earth, creating several cracks and irreparably damaging the physical laws of Creation (despite the Archangel Uriel's continuous attempts to patch things up) while also allowing humans to speak the various Secret Names of God to invoke different miraculous effects (mostly the viciously protected intellectual property of various tech companies who procedurally generate plausible names and have minimum wage drones try them out).

The writing's far too impressed with its own cleverness, but I inhaled the whole thing in, like, 2 6+ hour sittings, so I obviously can't complain too much.

Ninevehn

Heart-furnace
Validated User
Unsong is the bomb! It did get a bit cutesy at times (though I am a total sucker for puns), but I think it was trying to say some important things, and it was immensely funny.

CynoT

Nuclear Energy Advocate
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Webnovel ended their subscription service. It's just pay with "spirit stones" (read: gold) now.

Not surprised at all.

I wonder how much money Webnovel pays for the initial novel (the one they make available freely). If there is none or just a little then authors are better off at Royal Road where readers can give money directly via Paypal and where (AFAICT) they retain full publishing rights.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Webnovel ended their subscription service. It's just pay with "spirit stones" (read: gold) now.

Not surprised at all.

I wonder how much money Webnovel pays for the initial novel (the one they make available freely). If there is none or just a little then authors are better off at Royal Road where readers can give money directly via Paypal and where (AFAICT) they retain full publishing rights.
The subscription struck me as pretty expensive too. And I wouldn't be surprised if there's better out there, I've heard the company behind WN can be a bit iffy at times.

St.Just

Lacking all conviction
Validated User
Unsong is the bomb! It did get a bit cutesy at times (though I am a total sucker for puns), but I think it was trying to say some important things, and it was immensely funny.
Oh, made me laugh out loud more than once, for sure. And one of the few really serious considerations of what, well, eternal damnation really implies I've seen in fiction.

Notsteve

The work of an enemy stand
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Savage Divinity: “We said balance was important, but we didn’t mean for you to take it this far.”

Is this whole world just a sick competition between the Father and the Mother?

I wonder if using both energies is something the abbot will know about, or if it’s a surprise to him too. It terrifies the specters, so that must be good, right?

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The Mech Touch 417-

One little thing I really appreciate this is it gets the scale of a well-populated galaxy. There's 'as many mech designers as there are red dwarf stars in the galaxy,' which as far as I can tell puts them in the hundred-billion range (though most of them are novices who'll likely never get a chance to sell a mech and'd love to have an opportunity like Carlos rather than having to spend years working their way up to designing components). Masters? Enough to 'fill a planet'- which judging by Cloudy Curtain may mean as low as a few million. Which implies a lot about how many sectors there are if the Bright Federation and Vesians each have zero and the Friday Coalition seems like it has dozens (maybe low hundreds at the high end) as a major sector power.

Then the big famous names we've heard among the masters get their own title, Star Designers. 70! In the entire galaxy! Now that's rare.

(I'm leaving this unspoiled because it's just background stuff)

Now on to spoiler stuff, 417/418-

An interesting thing on how staying at apprentice may be a better idea- It also makes me wonder how long the story's going to go if Ves might eventually reach that level.... well, the System should help get the best of both worlds.

And the Mech Corps is really going pressure-cooker on these designers aren't they? I hope nothing too bad happens on those who flunk out, but I think someone just lost their chance at a plum assignment.

Of course Ves's high performance, physically as well as mentally, and his keeping his head down may end him up somewhere interesting!

Top Bottom