Weird Chargen Question

Octiron

Pariah
Validated User
Weird questions get weird answers.:p

The whole let the current chooser choose-who-goes-next (like popcorn initiative) is workable though.

SibKhatru

Validated User
The main trope of the grouping of pc’s is that a code of peace requires penitence on pilgrimage with persons the PC would never associate with normally.

SunlessNick

Mildly Darkened One
Validated User
The main trope of the grouping of pc’s is that a code of peace requires penitence on pilgrimage with persons the PC would never associate with normally.
I was going to ask why too, mostly on the grounds that it might affect my suggestion as to which approach was best. So am I correct in understanding:
  • That the PC's are travelling for the purposes of redeeming themselves over a transgression?
  • And society requires such groups of penitents to be made up of people from different lands?
If so, I would suggest players get to choose in a randomly determined order.

Another consideration is, how much impact does homeland have on available character options?

johnthedm7000

Social Justice Witch
Validated User
But can't "someone you would never associate with normally" also include something like people from varying social classes, castes, or professions? I mean if a priest, a murderer, a financier, and an alchemist all go on a pilgrimage together...that's a group of people that would likely never willingly associate with one another. If that's a big part of play, you may want to consider making character creation focus on those sorts of oppositions (profession, religion, class, past sins or life experience) insuring that they result in a group of people that would normally have nothing to do with one another. Another possibility is to just cut out the middle man and have part of character creation being answering the question "You would never find yourself among people such as these were it not for your vow. Turn to each of your fellow players and tell them why."

That could be a cool driver of play, especially if the game is about facilitating understanding and redemption as characters learn about the common threads that tie them together.

SibKhatru

Validated User
The homeland offers a couple of cultural features. There’s littke concern about balance for now. We will revisit as things go.

Cloud Divider

Validated User
Are there other selected elements that also cannot be duplicated? We've got Homeland. But what about...
* Status (Noble/Merchant/Servant/Military/Peasant/Nonperson)
* Occupation (Fighter/Mage/etc)
* Special Thing Sublist (Magic Item, What I'm Atoning For, etc)

Because if you've got multiple exclusive pick lists, then it becomes easier to decide who goes first. The guy who said "I want to pick Homeland first!" can have it, if the other players were more interested in the other categories.

If you do end up with more than one person for one category, I guess I'd leave that up to the players to negotiate (or flip a coin/roll dice/draw cards).

ThornyJohn

Validated User
In option 2c you note that you don't care for a card draw mechanic because it's flat and has no fiddly bits, but in truth, it satidifes everything you want (no homeland duplication, not as much of a concern who goes first/second/etc. when the card draw is random). Really, card draw is the way to go here.

Kredoc

Validated User
You could do a blind bid. Each player gets X points to spend. They divide those points among their homeland choices, spending more on the choice they prefer. Reveal all bids and highest wins for each homeland. Ties negate each other, effectively wasting those points. Make X a fairly high number.

Top Bottom