• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Welcome to the Reviews Forum

Freejack

Weirdo Freak
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Googled these up:

http://www.flamesrising.com/how-to-write-rpg-reviews/

http://www.errantdreams.com/static/reviewing

A review mad-lib would be great, though. "I ______(liked/disliked) this game. It reminded me of _____(other rpg you like/dislike)."
Hah! Perfect! That's what I needed. I think a "mad libs" style would be a little too simplistic for me but yea, a nice framework or as you linked, some descriptions of what is expected.

Thanks. You get one Karma from me :D

Carl

Mr. Beef

I like to eat food.
Question on the ISBN for reviews

I have a question about the ISBN that is used on the review page.

Does it need to be ISBN 10 or ISBN 13? I know that the older products will have ISBN 10 but newer products have both the ISBN 10 as well as ISBN 13. So if I'm going to review something new, do I use ISBN 13 or 10.

Thanks.

Mr. Beef

ShannonA

RPG Historian
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Re: Question on the ISBN for reviews

Does it need to be ISBN 10 or ISBN 13? I know that the older products will have ISBN 10 but newer products have both the ISBN 10 as well as ISBN 13. So if I'm going to review something new, do I use ISBN 13 or 10.
Use whatever's on the book. Our system actually syncs ISBNs from 2007 or 2008 up (whichever year ISBN13 came into official use) up to ISBN13 and syncs anything earlier back to ISBN10, for standardization purposes, so what you enter doesn't really matter.

blizack

ghostmode
Validated User
I submitted a review a few days ago, but never received any notification of when it would be posted. Should I be worried?

lomythica

Retired User
Would it be possible to add a mechanism to reviews that allowed review readers to rate the review? Maybe use stars or something? Or possibly even a mini critique of 3-5 categories to rate the review? This can help the reviewer get an idea of how useful his or her critiques are, and can help (through averaging scores) readers get an idea of how accurate the readership feels the reviewer's review is.

Lastly, this can help rpg.net staff help determine what the readership thinks of various reviewers, since readership agreement and support of reviewers affects readership following rpg.net reviews. This could help rpg.net offer the best quality reviews for its readership.

Just my $0.02,

Lomythica

lomythica

Retired User
I forgot to add a few ideas for topics of critique:

The Reviewer was knowledgeable about the topic reviewed.

The Reviewer showed objectivity in their review.

The Reviewer explained themselves and their opinions thoroughly.

The Reviewer offered enough information for me to make an informed decision on the product.

The Reviewer wrote in a style/format I could understand (not sure of wording.. something like straightforward writing, not confusing.. etc.)

These could all be graded on a 5 point strongly agree, strongly disagre scale.

Lomythica

Megan

Validated User
How long is "too short"?

I've just had a couple of reviews rejected as "too short" - trouble is, I've said all I want to say about the products in question in 4-5 paragraphs. Moreover, one is an adventure, if I say much more I will end up giving away the plot!

My own system and the OBS one accept reviews of any length, while the Paizo boards set a limit of 4000 characters, so it's hard enough without another review repository asking for OVER an unspecified length.

Any chance of some guidance about length, please?

DragoonWraith

Retired User
I wrote a review for Legend, and I got a message that I should receive an e-mail with the full text confirming that it went through.

I did not get such an e-mail.

Is this just because of the holiday? The message seemed to indicate that it was an automatic, immediate response, but maybe I'm misunderstanding.

ShannonA

RPG Historian
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I wrote a review for Legend, and I got a message that I should receive an e-mail with the full text confirming that it went through.

I did not get such an e-mail.

Is this just because of the holiday? The message seemed to indicate that it was an automatic, immediate response, but maybe I'm misunderstanding.
The message is automated, so I'd guess some sort of spam blocker on your side might have caught it. In any case, your submission was received and our reviews editor will give it a look see. Thanks!

Top Bottom