• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Well I am a published writer and I disagree

R

RPGnet Columns

Post originally by The Scribe at 2005-07-13 08:55:10
Converted from Phorums BB System

First off I am a ghostwriter and I have written many books for other people. I have never written under my own name and for right now I like it that way. I understand the need to get paid for your work but from my experience in real world publishing its a different monster altogether. I regularly receive .07 cents a word and 20% royalties for my writing efforts. The books I write you can get paid well and it not be an issue. But, I started as a writer who worked for free for about 6 years with my primary income coming from a normal 9 to 5 job.

Now I understand that the articles author thinks his material is worth .05 cents a word and he probably gets around this amount on a regular basis. That's fine for him but for many others who are just starting they will never see that. IF you know someone in the RPG publishing industry you have a much better chance of getting your .05 cent holy grail. But for people who do not know anyone it is almost impossible without sucking up and kissing butt. This I would never suggest to anyone unless you like doing that kind of thing.

If you do want to write for a living please write because you love it and make sure the subject matter is one you enjoy. If not, you are doomed from the start so don't waste your time. I suggest you start writing for yourself and your friends. If they like it enough, show it to your peers and see what they think. If they enjoy it as well, self publish your material as a PDF or print it yourself and sell it locally for a small price. Take it to local and regional RPG and writers conventions and get exposure for yourself. That's the way to get attention in the writing industry that I have seen and had experience with.

BUT, this way you will start off very slowly and it will take years of hard work to build a fan base. But if you want it can be done.

My point is there are alternatives to the .05 cent a word route. If you want to write for your favorite RPG, do so because you want to, but do not expect anything from it. IF people enjoy your material the publisher might pick you up, but that's if. Most of the time this will not happen so your better off doing something original. The RPG business is a niche market and you will never make a lot of money at it without Gurps, Darkness, or Dungeons in your title. Unless you start your own brand and make something different. Look at the Riddle of Steel, Lightspeed, The Burning Wheel, The Secret of Zir'An, Mutants and Masterminds, and the big daddy Original Dungeons and Dragons. All of them and many more not mentioned are original and being something new to the table and all of them were done by people who either wrote for free or for very little in their early careers and used something similar to the model suggested above.

Food for thought...

R

RPGnet Columns

Post originally by Ash at 2005-08-10 08:53:02

I now have two dilemmas. The first is that I'm having trouble finding viable UK venues, since GenCon UK has become near farcical, but the second is...

I now want to write an RPG called "Gurps, Dungeons and Darkness"

Demn your eyes, the Scribe, for putting such ideas in my head ;)

Ash

R

RPGnet Columns

Post originally by Bill at 2005-08-10 12:41:36

You receive 20% royalties!?! Where? Every professionally published writer in the world is dying to know!

Top Bottom