• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Wes Anderson's Inglorious Basterds? what is this I don't even...

AegonTheUnready

Friend to kittens everywhere
RPGnet Member
Validated User
JoJo Rabbit teaser trailer

"Toronto International Film Festival official selection"?!? bwah? Little kid plays with his imaginary friend Adolph Hitler? Can anyone explain this? please tell me it isn't what the trailer makes it out to be?

SandwormPhish

Validated User
It appears to be Taika Waititi going Mel Brooks on us given he's playing Hitler as well as directing.. I find this doubly hilarious considering his dad's Maori and his mom's Jewish.

It's about a kid in the HItler youth who finds out his mother is hiding a jewish girl in their home.. and yes he does have an imaginary friend who happens to be Adolf Hitler.

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User
In a Facebook group I'm in, I saw this described as "Who wants to watch Taika Waititi hold a live grenade for an hour and a half?"

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
In a Facebook group I'm in, I saw this described as "Who wants to watch Taika Waititi hold a live grenade for an hour and a half?"
I saw a post on Tumblr where apparently the guy is very jazzed about doing this because he gets to basically shit on Hitler for an hour and a half.

Menocchio

Eccentric Thousandaire
Validated User
I'm looking forward to it. I love Waititi's work and I think it's a clever concept. Here's a kid who's entranced with fascism, to the extent that he imagines Adolf Hitler is his personal best friend. And here's his mother, who knows better and is doing the real work to save a child.

Will the kid be disenchanted from his friend Adolf? Or will he fall further and further into the madness surrounding him? Can he protect his mother and the girl she's hiding? Can they save him?

I mean, it's funny because it's a brown Jewish guy playing Hitler as a friendly clown, and Sam Rockwell playing a buffoonish Nazi. But there's a real tension there, and I'm down for it.

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User
I saw a post on Tumblr where apparently the guy is very jazzed about doing this because he gets to basically shit on Hitler for an hour and a half.
I'm all in favor of shitting on Nazis, metaphorically or otherwise, but man a misstep on this would be a disaster.

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
I'm all in favor of shitting on Nazis, metaphorically or otherwise, but man a misstep on this would be a disaster.
Oh very true. Nazi's have an uncanny ability to latch on to media about them and will themselves to miss any subtext of "Nazi's bad" in order to pretend its about them being cool.

In order for this to wok Waititi has to make Hitler look like the biggest fucking goober that ever lived. There can be nothing cool or threatening about him, I'm talking cowardly lion levels of goofiness.

GabrielPierce

Not an Infernalist
Validated User
I mean, it's funny because it's a brown Jewish guy playing Hitler as a friendly clown, and Sam Rockwell playing a buffoonish Nazi. But there's a real tension there, and I'm down for it.
Yeah, I think Taika's really on the ball here - laughing at Nazi's is a good and proper use of free time, but never forget just how dangerous the fuckers are.

Probably a day 1 viewing for me :p

AegonTheUnready

Friend to kittens everywhere
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah, that was my impression of the trailer. A disaster. But if people here say it's okay, I'll give it a try. Tentatively.

Top Bottom