• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

💀 Necro Western the RPG

baakyocalder

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Briscoe County Jr would be a good one to see if you could play it in the Western rules.

How about an explanation of the lifepath system and how much player choice there is?

baakyocalder

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Most recent update is #80, 'Sorry, But No Cigar.' That was June 4.

I'm hoping to have the game in my hand by the end of 2019--well on my computer since I went for the PDF level.

capnzapp

Validated User
So, I'm just curious if there are rules for the inventions that the characters in the 2 examples above might come up with.
The Swedish edition has (detailed) rules for players and referees making their own entries in the gun listings; either to cover (even) more existing firearms than already supplied, or to support a character who makes his or her own home-made gun thingy.

"Weird science" was already from the start planned for the third book in the ruleset, the campaign book "Amerika 1886", that for various reasons haven't been published yet. These plans might be the same for the English-language edition or they might be different. That I don't know.

All I can say is there's individual adventures with various gadgets in them, such as a contraption that uses magnetism(!) to find gold.

(At least I assume you're asking about "weird" things, things that did not become successful in our world, or things that could not exist in the real world), as opposed to rules for regular items over and beyond what's already in the (very) comprehensive Skills chapter.) You namedrop various TV shows but you forgot to explain what gadgets they contain!

El Ravager34

RPGnet Member
Validated User
The Swedish edition has (detailed) rules for players and referees making their own entries in the gun listings; either to cover (even) more existing firearms than already supplied, or to support a character who makes his or her own home-made gun thingy.

"Weird science" was already from the start planned for the third book in the ruleset, the campaign book "Amerika 1886", that for various reasons haven't been published yet. These plans might be the same for the English-language edition or they might be different. That I don't know.

All I can say is there's individual adventures with various gadgets in them, such as a contraption that uses magnetism(!) to find gold.

(At least I assume you're asking about "weird" things, things that did not become successful in our world, or things that could not exist in the real world), as opposed to rules for regular items over and beyond what's already in the (very) comprehensive Skills chapter.) You namedrop various TV shows but you forgot to explain what gadgets they contain!

Yeah, "Weird Science" would cover a lot of the gadgets on the shows, and I do believe the Amerika 1886 book was mentioned a few times during the Kickstarter (I'd have to go back through the updates and comments to know where). So, that gives me hope for things to come. Plus, having rules for making new entries in the gun listings would help cover some of the things (hold out gun that swings out on a swivel type contraption).

Adventures of Briscoe County Jr --- Bruce Campbell's title character was hired by local robber barons to search for the members of the infamous John Bly gang (who happened to also be the same men who killed his father who was a western legend). Along the way, he encounters mysterious golden orbs with strange abilities that is in the possession of John Bly.

John Astin (Gomez on the original Addams Family show) was a funny "mad scientist" kind of character that helped Briscoe with various odd inventions like a rocket attached to a hand car for very fast travel down the railway.

Wild Wild West was a spy type western back in the 60's and introduced more primitive James Bond type gadgets. I say more primitive, because it tried to stay somewhat true to the technology of the times. It featured the above mentioned sleeve gun that could swing out when needed. Also, he had a derringer that could shoot a spike out of it.

They travelled the country in their tricked out spy train. Inside the train, there were two mounted pistols which could be fired by a hidden foot pedal. A hidden panel concealed the duo's knife and gun collection from enemies. The billiard table housed hidden rifles and rapiers as well as billiard balls that were actually bombs. Behind a shelf of books, was a box that hid the telegraph they used to contact the president. To be fair, the telegraph could only be used when stopped, as it had to be clipped to the nearest telegraph line by wire. Plus, if using the telegraph was a problem, they had trained carrier pigeons.

I went into more detail than I really meant to, but I figured it would be better to give more examples. I have a feeling that a lot of this would be covered in the Weird Science section of the Amerika 1886 book you mentioned. I'm pretty sure they mentioned that was still going to be made, but I'll have to check the Kickstarter page to see if I can find reference to it.

El Ravager34

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I did a quick scan of the comments in the Kickstarter section and found this from a while back...

" We have lots of titles in the pipeline for Western. Once we have released the titles included in this Kickstarter, more will follow. Among titles already far along in the production process. We could mention:

America 1876 - also known as Core Book III. Here we have had a lot of new illustrations finished during the last couple of months, we got 2 more just today!"

Granted that comment was a while ago, but they mention they weren't going to focus on it until the other books included in the Kickstarter were finished. Hopefully, it will still be in the future plans!

El Ravager34

RPGnet Member
Validated User
For all backers of the Kickstarter...

The full beta PDF of Book 1 (Your Path) is now available. They just did an update with a link to download the file. I'm about to create my first Western the RPG characters!

Last edited:

baakyocalder

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Downloaded. Character sheet and a 328-page PDF at a Dropbox link requiring a password, which was supplied.

It looks pretty sweet, but is not bookmarked, so it will be a while before I can provide any quality feedback to the creators.

baakyocalder

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Liking the tactic on how to deal with a world full of haters. If you play a character of a minority group that would have been discriminated against in the real world in Western, you can choose to take the obstacle related to that group (Woman, for example) or not. If you choose the obstacle, you are signaling to the GM that you want to deal with those issues. If you do not, you are signalling to the GM that you don't want to deal with those issues. The authors aren't turning away from saying things are bad in the past, but are letting you choose your story.

Lifepaths look really detailed--14 steps for the character's family which is more than for their personal experiences. Fortunately, unlike Traveler and other games with Lifepath systems, your character will not die during them unless you want them to.

I doubt I'll play much since it has enough similarities to Aces & Eights, which I already grok pretty well, but I can definitely use Western once I get the full rules for filling in my western sandbox.

Top Bottom