• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

💀 Necro Western the RPG

Jack

Wave Man
Validated User
Liking the tactic on how to deal with a world full of haters. If you play a character of a minority group that would have been discriminated against in the real world in Western, you can choose to take the obstacle related to that group (Woman, for example) or not. If you choose the obstacle, you are signaling to the GM that you want to deal with those issues. If you do not, you are signalling to the GM that you don't want to deal with those issues. The authors aren't turning away from saying things are bad in the past, but are letting you choose your story.
This is basically how I did it in Tianxia and I found it was generally well received. It navigates a lot of potential problems without ignoring issues.

Mikko Kauppinen

Validated User
The system might be a bit heavy for me to ever use fully... but I consider this character creation book to have been worth my dime already. Damn there is a lot of lifepath stuff.

Last edited:

baakyocalder

RPGnet Member
Validated User
33 roles to choose from and it's a 14-step process for the grandparents and only a little shorter for parents and sibs.

I don't think it looks that heavy, but I am reserving final judgement until the second corebook, The Law of the Land, comes out with GM material. There is a lot of loading at character creation, which is why the Fast Track option of pick a role and write down the skills and make a couple of choices will be good for many players.

How many skill choices you get will also depend which of the three style options you chose. For realism, ordinary Joes and Janes don't get many points. For campaign, you've got an established character. For action, well befitting action western you have a more competent character. I like the movie suggestions for each play style.

If someone ended up doing a good flowchart or fan generator, character creation would be a little easier for the full-bore version.

AndersGabrielsson

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've rolled up a couple of lifepaths with the Swedish edition, and it takes a while to do it but it's entertaining. I think that as with many lifepath systems you'll have to figure out explanations for some weird events and you may want to disemphasize or ignore the fiction parts of some things you roll up just to keep things sane, but I think that's probably better than getting something very boring half the time.

Cessna

Gritty AF
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Bumping an old thread:

Is an english translation of this available these days?

El Ravager34

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Bumping an old thread:

Is an english translation of this available these days?

As corwyn_kop mentioned above, the English version of the character book was released in a Beta PDF form to the Kickstarter backers on the 4th of July. They are currently still hard at work getting the translations done for the rewards.

One of the creators has been having serious health issues, so that has slowed the progress down. On the bright side, the game that was ahead of Western has been delivered or is at least in the process of being delivered (some have reported receiving their copies), so their attention is fully on Western at this time.

baakyocalder

RPGnet Member
Validated User
No news since July 4 on the Kickstarter page. The layout looks pretty close to final and pretty well done.

capnzapp

Validated User
I don't want to kick anybody lying down, but realistically, the strengths of the Western creators lie elsewhere than in meeting deadlines. Multiple-year long delays have happened during the preceding decades, so it's best to simply look at Western as a game that arrives when it's ready, and not before. Look instead at the lavish production values and how the love for the setting oozes through the pages once it does arrive. :)

Alpha Stryke

Validated User
Are the people doing the translation also the creators of the game, or are they translators hired by the creators (who I presume are Swedish)?

Top Bottom