• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

WFRP First Scenario ever published, updated, uploaded

Emirikol

Banned
I've updated an ancient WFRP scenario to 2nd edition. It was called The Web of Eldaw..it has an interesting history in that it was printed in a game company catalogue a year BEFORE the rulebook came out.

Anyways, it's resurrected here and ready for your enjoyment: http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/emirikol7/

Feedback on the updates or rules are welcome. If you play it, I'd like to hear how it goes for you.

jh

Old Scratch

Validated User
Well... Not really.

WFB 1 had "roleplay" rules in it and the first mini adventures or so were more like linked mini games with role play elements. As for the Web of the Eldaw, it was in the Good Game Catalogue and has been floating around on the internet since around 94 or 95. I still see the text files around every now and then. It's more of a bridge between WFB 2 and WFRP, rather than an actual WFRP module. In some ways, I'd argue that the Rigg's Shrine, the Legend of Kremlo the Slann, and the Might Sven are at least as much (if not better) "WFRP" scenarios than Web of the Eldaw.

While it is historically interesting in a small way, it is a fairly unimpressive adventure.

EDIT: I also read the blurb. I don't think that it is technically correct. There was the MacDeath scenario which takes place in Scotland, so it's not the only adventure to describe northern Albion. And on top of that, the whole thing was later retconned out.

Emirikol

Banned
WFB 1 had "roleplay" rules in it and the first mini adventures or so were more like linked mini games with role play elements. As for the Web of the Eldaw, It's more of a bridge between WFB 2 and WFRP, rather than an actual WFRP module. In some ways, I'd argue that the Rigg's Shrine, the Legend of Kremlo the Slann, and the Might Sven are at least as much (if not better) "WFRP" scenarios than Web of the Eldaw. EDIT: I also read the blurb. I don't think that it is technically correct. There was the MacDeath scenario which takes place in Scotland, so it's not the only adventure to describe northern Albion. And on top of that, the whole thing was later retconned out.
Interesting. I'll have to rewrite those scenarios too ;) Eldaw was a pretty skeletal scenario before I started and you could see that it had the "original D&D-style" of roleplaying. It seemed to me like it was something that had been run at a convention.

Web of Eldaw had WFRP rules within it specifically as well as WFB stats. I'd be interested to see if those other scenarios or mini-games actually had WFRP rules in them. You seem to know a lot about this area, I've started this topic up at the FFG forums too. I'd like your historical knowledge there especially :)
http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efid=71&efcid=3&efidt=4860

What did you think of my rewrite of the scenario? Did the artwork additions seem good? ANy thoughts on the stat blocks or career choices?

jh

Last edited:

Old Scratch

Validated User
Interesting. I'll have to rewrite those scenarios too ;)
They're good. Better than Web of the Eldaw. The Shrine of Rigg is more like a location, rather than an adventure, but it's a far more interesting location than the dungeon that the Web takes place in. It appeared in the Citadel Compendium/Journal #2, IIRC. The early Citadel Compendium/Journal, not the later 90s -200 release. I've never seen it in text format, although I did scan it once. It's a fun little location.

The Legend of Kremlo the Slann appeared in the issue before, IIRC. It was a set of two interlinked adventures, again, IIRC. It was pretty cool too. This was floating around as a text file around the internet for about a decade. I haven't seen it lately though.

The best of the lot was "The Magnificent Sven" which was a play on the Magnificent Seven. A dwarf, his steam boat, and his varied companions must defend a Norse village from Slann robbers. This was in the WFB 2nd box set.

Now, it must be said that they were primarily WFB scenarios, so much like the Web of the Eldaw, stating that they are WFRP scenarios is a bit of a stretch. See below.

All of them could be adapted into scenarios.

Eldaw was a pretty skeletal scenario before I started and you could see that it had the "original D&D-style" of roleplaying. It seemed to me like it was something that had been run at a convention.
I'd be surprised if it was run at a convention. It was buried in a crappy little catalogue/magazine.

Web of Eldaw had WFRP rules within it specifically as well as WFB stats.
But it didn't, did it? I have a copy of it, and it is in storage, but it didn't really use WFRP stats? I'm looking now at the original post to the WFRP mailing list and that seems to confirm it, it's really more of a WFB adventure.

I'd be interested to see if those other scenarios or mini-games actually had WFRP rules in them.
No they didn't. And, yes, they did. See below.

You seem to know a lot about this area, I've started this topic up at the FFG forums too. I'd like your historical knowledge there especially :)
Here's your answer: those earlier adventures were as much WFRP adventures as the Web of the Eldaw, in some respects. Here's the reason why: nestled in WFB1 were a set of roleplay rules. IIRC, you added some skills or something on to your characters and their like. It was more of a gesture, rather than a significant set of rules, but people did play it and some of the early adventures were basically dungeon bashes. So there was a proto-WFRP in WFB1. WFB2 never really addressed the rules again and WFB2 quickly transitioned into WFB3 with its companion release of WFRP at roughly the same time. If my recollection is right, The Web of the Eldaw is actually a bit of a bridge product between WFB2 and WFRP before the latter's rules were formalized.

The Black Knight, in WD 83, is actually probably the real first WFRP scenario, IIRC. I don't own it, but I did read it and it was a dual statted adventure for Pendragon. It didn't actually have anything to do with the Old World, but it may actually be the first one with WFRP stats.

What did you think of my rewrite of the scenario? Did the artwork additions seem good? ANy thoughts on the stat blocks or career choices?
I just glanced at it. When I've read it, I'll give you more feedback.

Emirikol

Banned
Problem is that none of those scenarios are accessable and none of them have been updated to wfrp2..not to mention they don't have WFRP rules in them (so technically they're just WFB rule scenarios). I've heard that they would make good WFRP2 scenarios..but they're just extinct unless someone uploads (rewrites/re-edits) them (with proper credit of course :)

I wonder if anyone has any feedback on which ALBION map is most accurate:
1. http://images.google.com/images?q=warhammer%20albion%20map&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GZHZ&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

2. http://images.google.com/imgres?img...microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7GZHZ&sa=N

3. http://fantasymaps.wordpress.com/2008/05/17/warhammer-world-map/albion_map/

Jay H

Old Scratch

Validated User
Problem is that none of those scenarios are accessable and none of them have been updated to wfrp2..not to mention they don't have WFRP rules in them (so technically they're just WFB rule scenarios)
But isn't this the very problem with Web of the Eldaw? It didn't have WFRP rules in it either.

Anyhow, the Black Knight scenario from White Dwarf did include the first WFRP stats for it, even though it was a dual adventure. I believe that would make it the first WFRP adventure.

Emirikol

Banned

Mirkady

Validated User
Here's your answer: those earlier adventures were as much WFRP adventures as the Web of the Eldaw, in some respects. Here's the reason why: nestled in WFB1 were a set of roleplay rules. IIRC, you added some skills or something on to your characters and their like. It was more of a gesture, rather than a significant set of rules, but people did play it and some of the early adventures were basically dungeon bashes. So there was a proto-WFRP in WFB1.
It even came with an adventure, as I recall. Not that I recommend conversion: pretty uninspired. It wasn't a dungeon though but a wilderness style trek to a wizard's tower with goblins, I think.

Top Bottom