• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[WFRP] Tell me something about the city of Praag!

Hivemind

Validated User
In my recently started campaign, it looks like the party will be paying a visit to Praag in Kislev soon. There is some information on the city, including a map, in Realm of the Ice Queen, but I was wondering if anyone here has some cool adventure and location ideas for the cursed city of Praag.

Would love to hear what everybody has to say about it!

Smiorgan the Bald

Validated User
I remember something about the goddess Arianka lying there imprisoned in a crystal coffin by a chaos god. It was one of those bits that impressed me while reading the WFRP1 book. Not sure whether Arianka is canon anymore...

bottg

Validated User
I remember something about the goddess Arianka lying there imprisoned in a crystal coffin by a chaos god. It was one of those bits that impressed me while reading the WFRP1 book. Not sure whether Arianka is canon anymore...
She isn't, but our big WFRP campaign (~30 sessions so far, about 50 to go) will see the characters end up in Praag with twelve crystal keys to try and release her!

Hivemind

Validated User
She isn't, but our big WFRP campaign (~30 sessions so far, about 50 to go) will see the characters end up in Praag with twelve crystal keys to try and release her!
Cool!
So, do you have any idea yet where exactly in Praag she is buried and why nobody found her before?

Hivemind

Validated User
I don't care much about canon. My current campaign is set 20 years after The End Times. That is to say, a version of the End Times where in the end, the good guys were victorious. The Ice Queen died at the siege of Kislev (and the town is still under control of a Slaaneshi daemon prince) and the country is the frontier lands that still need to be reconquered on chaos with Erengrad as the big beacon of civilisation and reconquest..

Craig Oxbrow

Ah, y'know. This guy.
Validated User
(You may know all this...) Arianka - and I believe Praag - first appeared in the Citadel Compendium and Journal comic strip Kaleb Daark, by 2000 A.D. all-stars John Wagner, Alan Grant, Brett Ewins and Jim McCarthy. Daark was the greatest (of very few) champion of Malal, the Chaos God of not getting on with the other Chaos Gods, and was drawn to the besieged city (in the third year of the reign of King Zoltan) so he could kill more followers of Khorne, was prophesied to find the crystal keys, and was then rendered apocryphal due to a copyright disagreement. Praag itself was presumably a GW suggestion as it survived the decanonising.

Last edited:

bottg

Validated User
Cool!
So, do you have any idea yet where exactly in Praag she is buried and why nobody found her before?
As was mentioned above, I drew a lot of inspiration from Kaleb Daark. If I remember correctly her coffin is in a secret chamber below the palace, known only to certain members of the court. Because the crystal keys are needed to let her out, she is there but nothing can be done with her by those that do know.

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
What I've read about Praag in canon is not that interesting, honestly, before or after the storm of chaos. You could do a lot better just reading a few articles about real world Prague during the reign of Rudolph II (the supposed alchemist king) and riffing off them.
Just my two cents.

Godaikin Engineer

Pom Luv
Validated User
Aside from being the Goddess of Being Encased In A Crystal Coffin, was there ever any more info about Arianka, or what she might do once released?

Top Bottom