• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[WFRP3e] What do we know?

Kiero

Retiring User
Validated User
I've been away for the past two weeks, not just without internet, but without electricity as well. So I've heard nothing bar what I've been gleaning in the past few hours I've been back. I understand there were presentations/seminars, but not a demonstration of WFRP3e at GenCon.

By way of context, I'm currently playing a WFRP2e game (Acrozatarim's Shadow of the Sun). Love the characters and story, grown to loathe the system. So change is a wonderful good thing for me, since we're waiting to see what the new edition brings, with a view to porting across if it looks good.

So this isn't just me poking the people who are sore about there being a new (and very different) edition coming, it affects my table-time. We're embarking on a short D&D 4e run in the meantime, which is ironic in a way.

So what do we actually know about it? What's been confirmed, what's been found baseless speculation and so on.

Lazarus

Esoom G Noj
Validated User
far as I can tell:

It will come in a box, have tokens, dice, cards, and books. Will have enough fiddly bits for the GM and 3 players. Will have a separate player fiddly bit box. Will still have careers. Will have some intriguing concepts (party dynamic mechanics, for one).

Will be expensive, and will be very different from 2e.

And that's all I know I know.

Laz

Kiero

Retiring User
Validated User
What about a GM and 4 players? That's our current group. From what's known thus far, is it not catering to a larger group than that?

I'm quite happy to contribute towards a group copy (more than my 1/5, too), so the cost isn't bothering me.

Dr Jack

Banned
What about a GM and 4 players?
According to the blurb you'll need an add-on pack for that. What is not at all clear to me is what you need said pack for. If it's simply a matter of not having enough dice to have your own pile then it's no big problem to extend; but there seems to be some notion of having a "party sheet" with details for the whole party on it. They may be tuned to 3 players. Nothing I've seen gives enough info to make sense of it.

Back to what we know: the only playtest report I've seen suidges the notion of "being a board game".

Lazarus

Esoom G Noj
Validated User
They said that it's designed around 3, but that they're selling adventurer's packs of some name or other with the fiddly bits for more players (implied one, but I don't know if they've said or not).

This is only going from the info on their website. I haven't heard anything from anyone at GenCon about it.

Laz

Ian ORourke

Retired User
I don't know the real or theoretical upper player limit - but you can add more players buy purchasing an add-on box, which I assume contains all the extra widgets associated with that additional player.

It seems to be very much a role-playing game (so they are insisting anyway), but with the sales model of a FFG board game, which makes sense from their point of view, the components are a strong element of their 'sell'.

Lazarus

Esoom G Noj
Validated User
According to the blurb you'll need an add-on pack for that. What is not at all clear to me is what you need said pack for. If it's simply a matter of not having enough dice to have your own pile then it's no big problem to extend; but there seems to be some notion of having a "party sheet" with details for the whole party on it. They may be tuned to 3 players. Nothing I've seen gives enough info to make sense of it.
Based on the fact that they say that they've got handy "character folders", I suspect that whatever would encompass one of those would be in the box. I also expect tokens. I less expect dice.

Laz

Based on the fact that they say that they've got handy "character folders", I suspect that whatever would encompass one of those would be in the box. I also expect tokens. I less expect dice.

Laz
I can't remember about the dice, but I heard that the core box has smaller boxes that you fold together to keep all your stuff in between sessions. You assemble the box and throw all the dice and cards and stuff in it between sessions.

Pure conjecture: They may have only included three players because that's all the stuff they could fit in the box. It's happened before with non-rpg boxed stuff.

Here is a good summary of some facts (link goes to FFG forum).

Macarius

Retired User
Halflings are no longer a Pc option.

Elves are now divided into High and wood for Pc playing options.

No numbers on the dice, just pictures.

So far the part with the dice seems to be the most radical change. Except for diceless systems, all rpg's use dice with numbers on them. At least all the the dice rpgs that I've been exposed to in my 30 years of gaming do.

Top Bottom