• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[WFRP3e] What do we know?

Odie

If only she could breathe
Validated User
The more I hear about this, the better it sounds.
I know, right? First it's all, "cool custom dice!" Then I hear, "reckless/conservative stance for actions!" (Which they totally stole from me with their mind-reading rays the day I lost my tinfoil hat, I might add.) And now it's, "Party sheets! No halflings!"

I swear to God, I'm this close to buying this sucker.

-B

Robin Low

Validated User
If you choose to leave your career without 'completing' it (i.e. take a certain number of your advances and skills) then you don't keep your career's special bonus. If you do complete your career you keep the special from your career. For the ratcatcher this would be the small but vicious dog (who apparently has his own abilities and is essentially your little, and vicious, minion).
This bit stood out for me, because it makes absolutely no sense. Taking the example given, if you stop being a rat-catcher why would have to give up your pet? Are vicious dogs strictly controlled by the rat-catchers' guild, and you have to hand them back like a watchman handing in his whistle and club when he enlists in the militia?

Regards

Robin

The Incredible Bohemian

Social Justice Spy
Validated User
Indeed, I am quite intrigued by it. If it also just slightly more heroic, has less whiff and I'll certainly be intrigued.

It's just the cost of it a bit that puts me off. Not a lack of value so much, just the initiail outlay.

But I am intrigued.
Cost is an issue. But if it plays as easily as it looks, then I'd happily pay that much. It looks like it cuts a lot of the fat off the play experience. Admittedly, we know very little, but I'm getting a very strong ease of use vibe off this game. It really looks like a lot of the tedious fuss of playing is gone. Stuff that you don't really think of as fuss, just part of the hobby, but the idea of suddenly not having to do that is very exciting. It also seems (although this may be me projecting my desires onto the game) like there will be far less preparation needed.

I'm sold. I'm so sold.

DagobahDave

David Graffam
Validated User
I went into the seminar a bit leary as I had heard the 'they've changed it into a boardgame' statement a few times and I was totally not interested in that. But I found that the more accurate statement is that they took their experience with board game components and thought of some really cool ways to enhance the roleplay experience.
If you replaced every Evony advert with what you just wrote, my corner of the interweb would be a much better but less busty place.

Kiero

Retiring User
Validated User
Eight: Character generation - first you choose your race, then you draw three career cards and choose one. Or if you want to play hardcore you draw only one career and suck it up. Or (if you are a hippy, tree hugging elf - my words not theirs) you could just choose a career. Careers function very much like now with advances and skills. If you choose to leave your career without 'completing' it (i.e. take a certain number of your advances and skills) then you don't keep your career's special bonus. If you do complete your career you keep the special from your career. For the ratcatcher this would be the small but vicious dog (who apparently has his own abilities and is essentially your little, and vicious, minion). Note that you can still choose to buy skills not in your current career for a premium with gm approval.

I'll add more if I can remember it.
This is the one that interests me the most, because I really hate random chargen, sounds like non-random is easy. Plus it also sounds like replicating existing characters shouldn't be too difficult, since we've got an ongoing game to think about.

Do character still have percentile stats?

Old Scratch

Validated User
This bit stood out for me, because it makes absolutely no sense. Taking the example given, if you stop being a rat-catcher why would have to give up your pet? Are vicious dogs strictly controlled by the rat-catchers' guild, and you have to hand them back like a watchman handing in his whistle and club when he enlists in the militia?
I can see this issue. On the other hand, maybe your heart is no longer in the trade. You gave it a shot, you were motivated for a while, and then you burned out. Maybe you watched your small but vicious dog die from an infection and looked at your own oozing wounds and decide to get out of it.

Chris Gardiner

Treasure Type Q
Validated User
Ok, some highlights from the seminar at Gen Conn. Not too detailed as I'm posting from my phone.

-Snippage-
Thanks loads for posting that! This is sounding more and more interesting.

Are vicious dogs strictly controlled by the rat-catchers' guild, and you have to hand them back like a watchman handing in his whistle and club when he enlists in the militia?
Of course not! In fact, your small, vicious dog (TM) leaves you of its own free will - imagine the shame! Image the disgrace! Imagine the cruel mockery of its doggy peers! To associate with a person incapable of fulfilling the noble and resolute calling of the ratcatcher - who merely dabbled, picking up the handy Streetwise and Stealth advantages before deserting that worthy fraternity for the unbalanced pastures of the assassin career!

Plus, dude needs rats. Dog's got to eat.

Odie

If only she could breathe
Validated User
Of course not! In fact, your small, vicious dog (TM) leaves you of its own free will - imagine the shame! Image the disgrace! Imagine the cruel mockery of its doggy peers! To associate with a person incapable of fulfilling the noble and resolute calling of the ratcatcher - who merely dabbled, picking up the handy Streetwise and Stealth advantages before deserting that worthy fraternity for the unbalanced pastures of the assassin career!

Plus, dude needs rats. Dog's got to eat.
This is the best thing I have read all weekend.

-B

Top Bottom