• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

(WH/40k/AoS+) Stanning Slaanesh with a Clean Conscience

howard david ingham

We Don't Go Back
Validated User
A vignette:

Me, aged 13, reading the original Realm of Chaos: Slaves to Darkness: Slaanesh is totally the only Warhammer faction I relate to but I'm going to collect elves because they're camp and I won't get bullied so much for that.

Me, now, more open about my gender identity, re-reading my old copy of Slaves: yeah, it's pretty horrible how the only explicitly genderqueer faction in the Warhammers is called out as being one of the two most eeeeeevil groups.

Also me, now, more open about my gender identity, and getting back into painting minis for the first time in aaaages: So i'll just buy up that Slaanesh Army i couldn't have as a kid because let's face it it's still the only faction i identity with, only much much more so given the circumstances.

So. Yeah. How about that.

Now i got the bug hard recently and I'm in the process of building that #oldhammer Slaanesh Army and also trying out AoS (and seriously i am fighting a losing battle wrt Wrath and Rapture because i really badly want the Murder Harp and i can never have enough Daemonettes). And i keep thinking about Slaanesh.

Because i stan Slaanesh.

So i guess what i want to talk about in this (+) thread are ways to spin Slaanesh, counteract the transphobic, kink-shaming* ppropaganda of Sigmar/the Imperium and justify being on the side of Our Blessed Enby of Ruin and Delight.

And also, on a personal basis, use my gaming army as one of the ways to explore coming out, in the nerdiest way possible.

Help me spin Slaanesh? Thanks.

*also, seriously, screw the Imperium for kink-shaming because holy crap that's a hypocritical move

Last edited:

Scutarii

Validated User
Hmmm, dunno about 40k but for AoS Slaanesh is the god of pleasure and excess and - without much logical leaping - exploration and freedom. Freedom to try new things, to experience new things, to learn new things. Freedom to express yourself in whatever way you want to or need to.

Slaanesh is a god of Chaos. What they create is antithetical to the forces of Order but not to themselves. Someone taking part in a Slaaneshi ritual or just living life in a Slaanesh ruled territory is probably having the time of their lives.

Is it harmful to those around them? Potentially yes. But if you can find someone who wants to partake on the receiving end then, considering the gifts of Slaanesh, they're probably loving it too. The hard part is getting those people with matching priorities together.

Is it that hard though? Remember, there are plenty of people who love control, power, structure, hell, Order. How do you think they'd feel about being given God gifted powers to run a sprawling pleasure bureucracy? Where their desires are paid off in bringing together like minded pleasure and excess seekers?

Sure the propaganda driven public face of Slaanesh is all orgies and torture parties. But Slaanesh is more than just sexual gratification. It's all pleasures. Hell, the satisfaction of completing a set of menial chores and crossing them off one by one from the list and knowing you've done a good days work? That fulfillment? Why can't that be part and parcel of your propitiations to the god?

Slaanesh worshipping pleasure cults have existed among organised societies for generations, centuries, hell even into a world that no longer exists. Your acts of worship need not be all consuming, need not be devastating to those around you. How else could these cults grow and thrive and remain alive for so long in the same place? I can garantee that for some it's the secrecy and 'knowing something you don't know' or belonging to s epcail group that's the main thrill, the main draw, the main appeal. Trust on those members to keep things under control because, for them, that secrecy and control is their excess.

===

Dunno if that makes much sense or is much help. I guess the key takeaway is that if Slaanesh wins then everyone will be having an epicly good time forever.

howard david ingham

We Don't Go Back
Validated User
OK, maybe people do get hurt, but, i mean, most kink scenes aren't perfect, right? Sex positive areas have some bad actors, and the followers of the Non-Gender-Specific Noble Personage of Pleasure aren't free from that, obviously. Meanwhile they're being harried by the fantastical equivalent of the sort of folks who are bothered about toilet use.

Count Dorku

Renegade librarian
Validated User
What do "stan" and "stanning" mean in this case?
Slang for "endorse and support at all costs". Originally taken from an Eminem song about a dangerously obsessed fan, the connotations have shifted a bit from the original song to being generally positive.

To use it in a sentence, during that big Hbomberguy stream for Mermaids a few weeks back, I saw a lot of posts on Tumblr along the lines of "Donkey Kong said trans rights, we stan forever".

Petter Wäss

I am agape with fnords
Validated User
I would probably focus on the non-sexual stuff mostly. Because those are often forgotten about.
So your dudes maybe aren't about the raping and torture, maybe they love (to excess of course) Music, fine silks and Heavy perfumes. Maybe their warcamp resemble nothing as much as a combination of luxury hotel and mobile opera house.

howard david ingham

We Don't Go Back
Validated User
That's a good point. I mean obviously it's about sex-positivity but it's also about non-binary gender identities, isn't it, and it's actually playing to the narrative of those Space Marines/Stormcasts to assume that just cos you're queer you're promiscuous.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
How clear cut are things in Age of Sigmar, anyhow? I mean, 40K seems to be "our good guys would be the bad guys in your campaign".

howard david ingham

We Don't Go Back
Validated User
How clear cut are things in Age of Sigmar, anyhow? I mean, 40K seems to be "our good guys would be the bad guys in your campaign".
Well, i only got the AoS core book a few days ago, but as far as i can tell the narrative seems to be that the Stormcast Eternals basically start out as the (more or less) good guys, except the more they fight and get reborn, the less good they are.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Less good? Or less human (in their thinking, losing memories, etc)? Either works, mind you.

IIRC there's at least one faction of "bad guys" in the Order camp (sort a snakey/winged folks that were eaten by Slaneesh or something... it was in White Dwarf). I know there are factions for Death based on reading exactly ONE novel, and whats-his-face (death god) is a little spacey but quite sure of himself.

Top Bottom