• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

(WH/40k/AoS+) Stanning Slaanesh with a Clean Conscience

howard david ingham

We Don't Go Back
Validated User
One thing about AoS is that Slaanesh themself is absent from the setting: basically they got chained up on some dimension somewhere by Elf Gods (privileged jerks) and so the Slaaneshis are apparently now adrift. i don't know how Wrath and Rapture and the presumably imminent Slaanesh Army Book Thing change that.

Petter Wäss

I am agape with fnords
Validated User
Less good? Or less human (in their thinking, losing memories, etc)? Either works, mind you.

IIRC there's at least one faction of "bad guys" in the Order camp (sort a snakey/winged folks that were eaten by Slaneesh or something... it was in White Dwarf). I know there are factions for Death based on reading exactly ONE novel, and whats-his-face (death god) is a little spacey but quite sure of himself.
The water elves are also pretty evil.
The snake elves are big on human sacrifice, the water elves are big on capturing people to steal their souls, because most of their own are as shriveled as raisins (because Teclis is as big of a fuck-up in AoS as he was in the End Times)

howard david ingham

We Don't Go Back
Validated User
Less good? Or less human (in their thinking, losing memories, etc)? Either works, mind you.

IIRC there's at least one faction of "bad guys" in the Order camp (sort a snakey/winged folks that were eaten by Slaneesh or something... it was in White Dwarf). I know there are factions for Death based on reading exactly ONE novel, and whats-his-face (death god) is a little spacey but quite sure of himself.
I think the snakey guys are in fact what we used to call Dark Elves and Witch Elves? Could be wrong.

Oh, and yeah, less human. Which amounts to the same thing.

DocShoveller

Godwin's Lawman
Validated User
Well, i only got the AoS core book a few days ago, but as far as i can tell the narrative seems to be that the Stormcasts Eternals basically start out as the (more or less) good guys, except the more they fight and get reborn, the less good they are.
The less human, anyway. Some just get weird. There's a character who was a Nurgle chaos warrior and was reforged into a Stormcast.

Anyway, one thing you might focus on in AoS is that Slaanesh has been missing for quite some time. Your cult is a memory or reconstruction, the dark prince isn't directly giving his favour to anyone.

howard david ingham

We Don't Go Back
Validated User
Anyway, one thing you might focus on in AoS is that Slaanesh has been missing for quite some time. Your cult is a memory or reconstruction, the dark prince isn't directly giving his favour to anyone.
i mean yeah, exactly. This isn't necessarily a bad thing for a redemptive reading of Slaanesh.

LCDR Seamonkey

Urban Monkey Warfare
RPGnet Member
Validated User
In 40k, I'd say just go with "This is a game where there are no good guys, so I'm just playing the bad guys I find most aesthetically pleasing". I feel like the game was purposefully designed so that no one ever has to worry about whether they have the moral high ground or not. I mean, in a fight between Catholic Space Nazis and the Dubcon Tentacle Horde, you can rest assured that neither side is really going to improve the lot of innocent bystanders.

R,
Me

howard david ingham

We Don't Go Back
Validated User
In 40k, I'd say just go with "This is a game where there are no good guys, so I'm just playing the bad guys I find most aesthetically pleasing". I feel like the game was purposefully designed so that no one ever has to worry about whether they have the moral high ground or not. I mean, in a fight between Catholic Space Nazis and the Dubcon Tentacle Horde, you can rest assured that neither side is really going to improve the lot of innocent bystanders.

R,
Me
This is fair and completely fine.

i am one of those rare people though who has never had much interest in 40k, so my two Slaanesh armies are for oldhammer and AoS.

Endless Rain

Validated User
That's a good point. I mean obviously it's about sex-positivity but it's also about non-binary gender identities, isn't it, and it's actually playing to the narrative of those Space Marines/Stormcasts to assume that just cos you're queer you're promiscuous.
As a transgender person and a Tzeentch player, I'm seriously annoyed by how people imply that the Chaos God that trans people would follow is the "Chaos God of Pleasure, Passion, Excess, and Decadence". The things Slaanesh is the Chaos God of are all things I personally dislike. (No offence to people who do like these things, of course.)

On the other hand, there is a Chaos God of things I actually do care about like "Change, Ambition, Knowledge, and Sorcery", and that Chaos God definitely isn't Slaanesh. If I lived in either Warhammer setting, I'd have no interest in anything Slaanesh could offer, but I could be pretty easily convinced to join a Tzeentch cult.

howard david ingham

We Don't Go Back
Validated User
As a transgender person and a Tzeentch player, I'm seriously annoyed by how people imply that the Chaos God that trans people would follow is the "Chaos God of Pleasure, Passion, Excess, and Decadence". The things Slaanesh is the Chaos God of are all things I personally dislike. (No offence to people who do like these things, of course.)

On the other hand, there is a Chaos God of things I actually do care about like "Change, Ambition, Knowledge, and Sorcery", and that Chaos God definitely isn't Slaanesh. If I lived in either Warhammer setting, I'd have no interest in anything Slaanesh could offer, but I could be pretty easily convinced to join a Tzeentch cult.
Yeah, you see, this is a really good point. i mean my own queerness is drawn to Slaanesh, but i can totally see how that would also be repellent (which is part of my initial reason for asking these questions in the first place, obviously), because essentially i think the problem is that as it stands, Slaanesh, as the specifically gender queer chaos God with the specifically gender queer followers, plays right into that reactionary narrative of queer as abusers and, well, perverts. Tzeentch, well, he's not specifically about gender, but he's all about bodily change (and big pink fingers with suckers) and... well basically he's a Much Easier Sell, isn't he?

Top Bottom