What about a game mechanic for the RPGnet dice roller?

Sabermane

Proud Fianna knight of hope and peace
Validated User
So it's late. This might not make sense. But!

We have a dice roller. There's a bit of a catch though--you need to post, then edit, and then you can roll. So I wondering--what could you do with a system where you declared you action and THEN rolled the dice? Not a "I want to jump the gap", but instead "I jump the gap". So the dice aren't going to tell you if you succeeded or failed--you get to decide if you make it or not on your action. So that means the dice have to represent how things go AFTER your action...

Just kind of a weird idea. I wanted to see if anyone else had any ideas where we could go with it...

Lysus

Unbelievably Fancy Ostrich
Validated User
That sounds like it's perfectly situated for a system where the dice tell you what your action costs you. It'd be somewhat like Fate in that respect, as Fate point expenditures are what really matter there.

Snow Goon

Credible Hulk
RPGnet Member
Validated User
That's kind of a fun idea. Maybe failure on the roll could indicate that the next roll gets harder. This might be cumulative until the player either chooses to voluntarily fail a roll or maybe until the next failed roll. Something like that, anyway. It would mean that rolling indicated a sort of ebb and flow of narrative impetus.

I don't know, but it's interesting.

Top Bottom