• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

What about the Lankhmar books by Fritz Leiber?

Scurrilous

Validated User
I think a character arc where a dubious anti-hero slowly slides into something worse would be valid if the author called it out as such somehow. Though in Knight and Knave of Swords Mouser's nasty side is how the villains get to him. Maybe Lieber got around to condemning Mouser's boarderline pedophilia and rape in the novel but I doubt it. The thrill of transgressive behaviour is very much part of the series and the author probably just saw it as a harmless fantasy.

Litpho

Wandering stranger
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I also think that Leiber at that point didn't see anything wrong with it, more's the pity.

Well, this unsavoury side discussion just underlines what everyone has been saying: "Stick to the first five books".

ESkemp

Validated User
He wouldn't be the first author who got sketchier as he got older, alas. But sticking to the first five means you go out on Swords of Lankhmar, and that's a pretty good note to go out on.

Marcantony

Validated User
Yes but the only was to get them now is via reprints; the first book reprints the first 4 novels, and the second book reprints the last 3 novels. So if I only get the first reprint then Ill only be able to read books 1-4. If that makes sense.

Vargold

AKA MalteseChangeling
Validated User
"Bazaar of the Bizarre" is, IMO, one of the best short stories ever written in English.

Litpho

Wandering stranger
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Both great stories. I am quite fond of Creature from Cleveland Depths and The Girl with the Hungry Eyes. Oh, and Mariana - simple premise but great execution.

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
For a moment I was wondering why I’ve never read the Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser stories despite their influence and many friends who like them, and then the Retro-Hugo ballot reminded me that Leiber wrote Conjure Wife.

Brandi

Validated User
It's been a while since I read Conjure Wife (though I enjoyed the movie that was made out of it)-- what are its problems?

Top Bottom