what are the tropes of planetary romance?

Matthias W

golden shoveler
Validated User
I get the basic logic ("give Edward Said an aneurysm") and the most prominent examples (Martian princesses, Venerian jungles) but I can't find a comprehensive treatment anywhere - TVTropes is less helpful than I expected it to be.

T.A.P.

Retired User
Just watch some 50's B Movies, or failing that, Amazon Women On The Moon. Those should give you all the ideas you need.

Futurella

slowpoke
Validated User
Planetary Romances are swashuckling adventures that take place on other worlds. They may be more fantasy or SF in imagery - but are often somewhere in between - and they are big on all out action and adventure. They often involve themes of colonialism and the sort of fascination with golden ages long past that we tend to associate with fantasy (that is, PR often happens in the ruins). They often draw on many meanings of the word "romance" and are big on stories that involve exploration and heros heading into mysterious and unknown lands and situations.

SO - to sum up: A mostly naked warrior with a sword and a ray gun, riding a horse that has too many legs, with two moons in the sky, and lots of savage man-beats to kill, a desirable half naked mate to rescue, and alien-cthulhu lurking in the background.

PTiKachu

Damaramu will regret this
Validated User
SO - to sum up: A mostly naked warrior with a sword and a ray gun, riding a horse that has too many legs, with two moons in the sky, and lots of savage man-beats to kill, a desirable half naked mate to rescue, and alien-cthulhu lurking in the background.
Stop ripping off Avatar! ;)

Futurella

slowpoke
Validated User
Just watch some 50's B Movies, or failing that, Amazon Women On The Moon. Those should give you all the ideas you need.
I dont really see Planetary Romance and Atomic Horror as being that closely related, actually. How do you connect the two?

Jason D

was just here
Validated User
I really need to finish with Interplanetary. I have a huge section on "elements of interplanetary adventure stories" covering all of the genre elements and discussing how to implement them in games.

(And before you ask, I'm calling it Interplanetary to avoid confusion with the Wildstorm comic series Planetary, and to emphasize the inter-world travel.)

Futurella

slowpoke
Validated User
That's a good point - the hero of a PR is often an Earthling on an alien world, so the story very often starts with some kind of journey between worlds (this may involve space ships, magic carpets, portals, dreams, or what have you).

Father of Dragons

Certifiable User
Validated User
(And before you ask, I'm calling it Interplanetary to avoid confusion with the Wildstorm comic series Planetary, and to emphasize the inter-world travel.)
My first thought when I saw the name Interplanetary , was that it was a reference to Spacehounds of IPC, which while not planetary romance, is certainly an interplanetary adventure story.

Top Bottom