• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

What can you do with acrylic mediums for paint?

AegonTheUnready

Friend to kittens everywhere
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I was given some different mediums as gifts. Matt medium, slow-dri, and some glaze medium. What sorts of different effects can i get out of these?

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Different brands will have different effects, but they all fall within certain ranges.

Matt medium will make your paint a little more translucent and more matte. I often think of the texture as becoming more waxy. It's good for thinning down paint to make glazes without making them all shiny. Most of the ones I've tried don't make your paint really matte, just less shiny.

Slow-dri. Be careful with this stuff. It can be useful if you want to get smoother blended effects than you normally get with quick-drying acrylics, but too much of it can make the paint film weak and rubbery. And it can take a long time to dry.

Glaze medium, so far as I know, is about the same as gloss medium. It will probably give you a good transparency and some shine. You'll have to experiment to find out.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
I've used them to thin paint opacity without thinning the paint. Then I can use water to thin it down for painting with.

AegonTheUnready

Friend to kittens everywhere
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I wonder if the matte medium could be put as a dull-cote over a glossy varnish? Hm, time for a sacrifical figure

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I wonder if the matte medium could be put as a dull-cote over a glossy varnish? Hm, time for a sacrifical figure
In my experience it’s not so great for that, tends to come out more waxy semi-satin finish than truly matte. But I’d be interested to hear what sort of results you get.

Morsla

I mostly paint things
Validated User
Glaze medium is fantastic. I use a drop of glaze medium, 4-5 drops of water, and a drop of paint - that makes a thin glaze that can be used as a shading wash, or to tint other colours.

Drying retardant can be useful if you have really hot weather - mix a bit with water, and use it to thin paints on the palette. I rarely use it though. Don't try adding it to pots of paint, to make them last longer... I tried that, and ended up with pots of thick goop a few months later.

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Wow, I didn’t even think of that. Don’t ever add mediums or additives to your actual paints in their containers. Keep them pristine and do all your mixing on your palettes.

I don’t even put my paintbrushes in my paint containers. I get paint out with a clean palette knife.

Top Bottom