• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

What can you do with acrylic mediums for paint?

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
I seem to recall one of those is supposed to be a bit on the toxic side, so no licking your brush or such for blending. I want to say its the slow-dry, but could be wrong.

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
You shouldn’t be licking your brush anyway. Even regular acrylics contain formaldehyde and ammonia, more often than not,

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
You shouldn’t be licking your brush anyway. Even regular acrylics contain formaldehyde and ammonia, more often than not,
I've seen videos, even official ones, that have some folks licking/wetting their brushes to aid in blending >_<

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've seen videos, even official ones, that have some folks licking/wetting their brushes to aid in blending >_<
I'm sure you have. I have a degree in the arts and experience with safety hazards. Licking brushes is a dangerous thing to do.

Not only are many pigments toxic, natural hair brushes themselves are often treated with poisons or pesticides.

BrianDR

Validated User
Maybe a really basic technical question but: what's the difference between a medium and a thinner?

I've found that using a tiny drop of Vallejo airbrush thinner instead of water I can get my paint nice and thin without the beading/running I get when I add too much water. But I hardly ever hear anyone recommend this. Is there some hidden danger of using airbrush thinner in this way?

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Well, IIRC medium is just acrylic paint without the paint. So, I've got P3 medium (which is the same consistency of their paints), plus two big tubes of acrylic medium from Walmart which are really thick and creamy. It thins out the pigments WITHOUT thinning the medium/viscosity.

A thinner would be something that thins out the medium, thus thinning out the pigments.

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
There isn’t much difference between a medium and a thinner. Both are used to change the handling properties of paint.

Airbrush thinner is sold by some companies under the name airbrush medium. In both cases it’s a special, thin medium which can be mixed with regular acrylic paints to make them a consistency good for airbrushing without losing too much pigmentation or film coherence,

BrianDR

Validated User
Airbrush thinner is sold by some companies under the name airbrush medium. In both cases it’s a special, thin medium which can be mixed with regular acrylic paints to make them a consistency good for airbrushing without losing too much pigmentation or film coherence,
Thanks! It won't hurt any to use it with acrylic paints I intend to brush on then?

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Thanks! It won't hurt any to use it with acrylic paints I intend to brush on then?
As I understand it it gives them a watercolor-like texture and some translucency. It shouldn’t do damage to any acrylics you mix it with.

Top Bottom