• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

What do I need to know about D&D 5e?

GetterBurai

Toyetic Fiend
Validated User
Inspiration is the main source of Advantage that players can reliably get, and that can be a huge bonus. Players get Inspiration from roleplaying their Bonds, Ideals, Flaws and Personality Traits — and any other time you (the DM or the group) think they should. The PHB is quite light on how often people should be inspired. You can hand it out like a precious resource once every few sessions, or you can have people get and spend it every couple of rounds. I prefer the later, since it doubles-down on the narrative aspects of the game and rewards people for living their characters. Depending how much you like FATE, or other meta-currency games you may feel differently.
One may note how nearly everything after the bolded part is a description of how Inspiration (RAW) is anything but "reliable". :) (Though I suppose it's fair to say that Inspiration that has already been earned becomes the most reliable source of Advantage when a PC needs Advantage.)

FWIW, I would have said the main "source of Advantage that players can reliably get" is the Help action. Which is something very important to keep in mind both (a) regarding abilities/features like find familiar, and (b) regarding larger parties (the more party members there are, the more often a PC may feel they can afford to Help their allies instead of a taking a more direct action).

Hituro

Eager Critmouse
Validated User
FWIW, I would have said the main "source of Advantage that players can reliably get" is the Help action. Which is something very important to keep in mind both (a) regarding abilities/features like find familiar, and (b) regarding larger parties (the more party members there are, the more often a PC may feel they can afford to Help their allies instead of a taking a more direct action).
I suppose that’s true, and concede the point. I should have said the most reliable without external aid maybe?

DavetheLost

Validated User
My players do not seem to care about Inspiration (or Helping fo that matter). I even pointed out the Inspiration rule and that they can get Advantage on dice rolls by putting a couple of things on their character sheets and role playing them. Not a high bar at all.

Of course I am a fan of Mouse Guard where players set a Belief, Instinct, and Goal for their character at the start of every adventure, and also King Arthur Pendragon which has whole sets of systems for Passions, personality Traits, etc. So Inspiration seems natural to me.

Stattick

Electronic Thing
Validated User
I'm sure that some tables actually use Inspiration, but I haven't played at one that's managed it. The GM has so much on his plate that he can't remember 4 additional things per PC. That might be different if you only have a few PCs, but we have 8 PCs in both groups.

Manitou

Emperor of the Americas
Validated User
Things I've not seen mentioned here that are worth remembering:

Inspiration: Inspiration is the main source of Advantage that players can reliably get, and that can be a huge bonus.
As much as that's a cool thing, I haven't seen many D&D players use it, most DM's don't think of D&D as having that sort of thing.
And you can reliably get advantage other ways, Vengenace Paladin's Oath of Emnity and a barbarians Reckless Attacks, for instance, don't rely on impressing anyone. Also you can get a familiar and have them do the Help action to give you advantage, though I suppose the GM has to rule that it makes sense.

Tool Proficiencies: probably one of the least well defined aspects of the skill system in the PHB, a tool proficiency is really the equivalent of a Craft or Career skill from another system. If you have Proficiency in Carpenter's Tools — for example, you are a carpenter, and can do all the things a carpenter can do. The PHB rather loosely says "can add proficiency when the tools are relevant", and leaves it to you. My instinct is to treat them as I treat background, and allow the bonus whenever it seems like it make sense (e.g. a carpenter spotting a false bottom in a chest), or even sometimes expertise. Xanathar's Guide (as ever) has more rules on tools..
I do like this stuff. Proficiency with an Herbalism kit, assuming you also have a kit, will let you make healing potions for half the listed price without knowing any spell, for instance. And your background can give that to you independant of your class or race. It's little things like this that makes things seem much more flexable than previous editions.

Dog Quixote

Validated User
Based on 5E games that I've played I certainly would not think of Inspiration as something I could reliably get.

It's a dreadful, patronising and utterly contrived rule anyway.

Hituro

Eager Critmouse
Validated User
Based on 5E games that I've played I certainly would not think of Inspiration as something I could reliably get.

It's a dreadful, patronising and utterly contrived rule anyway.
I think that's going to be very table dependent, we use it all the time. I'm curious though, why patronising?

Dog Quixote

Validated User
That's clearly a matter of opinion.
Well I would have thought so...but you felt the need to state it anyway...so? (Is there some way it could be otherwise?)

I can't really parse what it would mean for something to be objectively patronising.

Top Bottom