What do you mean the end of RPG piracy as we know it? The SOPA bill in congress

Tydirium

For the Empire!!
Validated User
Piracy for RPGs is a huge issue..it's even bigger for Hollywood. This bill could effectively disable online piracy of RPGs forever.

Torrents have been considered hush hush wink wink for a long time, but this may be the type of tool that Hasbro/WotC and the rest of the RPG industry has been hoping for.

Thoughts?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/14/sopa-protect-ip_n_1140180.html

SOPA would imbue the federal government with broad powers to shut down whole web domains on the basis that it believes them to be associated with piracy -- without a trial or even a traditional hearing.

wreck-age

Validated User
Re: What do you mean the end of RPG piracy as we know it!?!?! The SOPA bill in congr

I am concerned with how this will effect creative commons properties, but otherwise it doesn't surprise me.

Darth Tang

Banned
Re: What do you mean the end of RPG piracy as we know it!?!?! The SOPA bill in congr

The mods will have to stay extra sharp. Threads that appear to be discussing piracy could lead to the forum being shut down.

Rincewind1

Banned

That's a terrible idea. I don't support piracy by any means, but this sounds like something out of Orwell - "we can shut you up because we can". It's how censorship starts - first you attack a target that everyone can rally behind (or has to rally without being ousted as a supporter of crime), and then it spirals down pretty fast.

And it won't actually hit piracy - at worst, the pirates will go into DeepWeb, and it'll be a game of Cat and Mice for pages giving clues how to find torrent zones in DeepWeb.

Red_Mage

Banned

As it stands this will just be an amazing way for certain very large studios to quash whatever they dont like. I highly doubt it will affect RPGs much. That being said there is an amazingly good chance (given how the takedown process as outlined works) that it will utterly screw over any startup that wants to be something like a social network or a competitor to a major studio in some arena.

David J Prokopetz

Social Justice Henchman
RPGnet Member
Validated User

It's a deeply problematic bit of lesgislation. If it's actually enacted as its proponents describe it, it wouldn't just threaten services like YouTube - it would effectively spell the end of all private web hosting in the United States. Nobody without an IP lawyer on staff could afford to publish content commercial content online; the consequences of being accused of intellectual property infringement, even spuriously, would simply be too extreme.

(Of course, it's been speculated at this is the whole idea: to return the big media labels to their pre-Internet position of being the gatekeepers of all non-local commercial media distribution by rendering it unacceptably risky to publish online without their blessing.)

Last edited:

Scurrilous

Validated User

I suspect it's unlikely to survive the first constitutional challenge in the courts and I would expect the money for the very best possible lawyers will materialize almost effortlessly.

Count Dorku

Renegade librarian
Validated User

Rule one of legislation: if at any point a description of it uses the phrase "without trial or hearing", kill it with fire and never look back. It is not a good thing.

azalin1

Persona Non Grata

That retarded orwellian bill is as bad as last decade's proposal to force motherboard manufacturers to include watchdog firmware built in.

Don't forget to back up the Electronic Frontier Foundation in protesting.

Top Bottom