🎨 Creative What does a Mage's Guild do?

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
No! My false show of creativity has been revealed for the mere referential humor it was! CURSE YOU, CRINOS!
;)
Well you know what they say, DnD is 20% creativity, 40% Ripping off popular culture, and 68% Monty Python references.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I normally see them more as primarily places of learning than commercial guilds, although with some aspects of each, so kind of like the the medieval universities.
To add to this and the bit about getting in good with the burghers and nobility, I have seen a few examples of Mage academies where the first four years are "general courses" that anyone with money (or a scholarship) can get into. This level of instruction also includes a few "Magic 101" style courses so that when the student graduates the first four years, if they have magical talent they can move on to years of additional Mage Only training.

IIRC Patrick Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicles novel series had this setup.

vitruvian

Validated User
My TL;DR for this whole thread: My mage's guild(s) will likely be run like they're features of an L. Sprague De Camp story, especially the enchanters' cabal in "The Mathematics of Magic" or the similar organizations (possibly with less demon slavery) in the Novaria stories. I.e., petty academics with real power.

Crinos

Validated User
See, this whole line of discussion just gave me an idea for an adventure where some unlicensed mages are peddling shoddy magical potions, and the Guild hires the PC's to put a stop to it, so they effectively have to raid the lair of a group of magical moonshiners.

Calypso

Bunny With a Glock
Validated User
See, this whole line of discussion just gave me an idea for an adventure where some unlicensed mages are peddling shoddy magical potions, and the Guild hires the PC's to put a stop to it, so they effectively have to raid the lair of a group of magical moonshiners.
And now I want to run Breaking Bad, but with mages.

Cirlot

Validated User
Maintain the wards around the monster infested megadungeons every D&D city is connected to.

-Naxuul
. . . or they create the monster-infested megadungeons and then manage exploration/delving rights as a way of ensuring steady traffic in rare material components, magical and alchemical reagents and low-level magic item crafting supplies.

"You want access to the Old Cisterns? 10 gp for party registration, standing component bounties are on the main board - owlbear feather market has crashed, there's some money to be made in oozes, tho. If you want to take a crack at the dragon whelp on the third level be sure to buy the requisite permit - three desks down, have your gem deposit handy - otherwise any hoard claim will incur a penalty fee and the remainder reported to the city sheriff for proper taxation. If you see a basilisk or two by the aqueducts leave 'em alone - we brought in a mating pair and we're trying to increase their numbers; there is a reward for the first reported sighting of hatchlings, . . . "

Last edited:

Naxuul

Emo hair power!
Validated User
. . . or they create the monster-infested megadungeons and then manage exploration/delving rights as a way of ensuring steady traffic in rare material components, magical and alchemical reagents and low-level magic item crafting supplies.

"You want access to the Old Cisterns? 10 gp for party registration, standing component bounties are on the main board - owlbear feather market has crashed, there's some money to be made in oozes, tho. If you want to take a crack and dragon whelp on the third level be sure to buy the requisite permit - three desks down, have your gem deposit handy - otherwise any horde claim will incur a penalty fee and the remainder reported to the city sheriff for proper taxation. If you see a basilisk or two by the aqueducts leave 'em alone - we brought in a mating pair and we're trying to increase their numbers; there is a reward for the first reported sighting of hatchlings, tho . . . "
A bureaucratic megadungeon. Next they'll try to regulate our demiliches because of all the conflict gemstones in their teeth.

-Naxuul

Crinos

Validated User

"You want access to the Old Cisterns? 10 gp for party registration, standing component bounties are on the main board - owlbear feather market has crashed, there's some money to be made in oozes, tho. If you want to take a crack and dragon whelp on the third level be sure to buy the requisite permit - three desks down, have your gem deposit handy - otherwise any horde claim will incur a penalty fee and the remainder reported to the city sheriff for proper taxation. If you see a basilisk or two by the aqueducts leave 'em alone - we brought in a mating pair and we're trying to increase their numbers; there is a reward for the first reported sighting of hatchlings, tho . . . "
Yeah, I mean why do you think Megadungeons are always stocked with an endless supply of monsters, and always seem to go on forever despite making no logical sense.

I mean there are levels of Undermountain that are probably bigger than the city over it or the mountain that contains it. How do you figure that? (I mean, at least Undermountain has its own live in archmage and his students to explain that).

But those magical portals to the monster dimension aren't cheap, those space distortion and pocket dimensions aren't easy to maintain, someone's gotta do it.

Top Bottom