• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

🎨 Creative What does a Mage's Guild do?

Geoff Watson

Validated User
Depending on how common magical talent is, they could be looking for new recruits.
If anyone with Int/Cha 10+ can learn magic, that wouldn't be important, but if only a tiny percentage of the population (seemingly random) can learn magic, finding new mages would be a big deal. Or trying to discover patterns in who has the talent.

mindstalk

Does the math.
Validated User
Yeah, sorry, I was oversimplifying a bit - still, I think it wouldn't be too much a stretch to have the mage's guild involved in peacekeeping and law enforcement in a fantasy city.
Indeed! Sorry, I thought I was agreeing with you at the end of my post.

(Though I do want to point out that magistrates in China also handled taxation and acted as judges, and often were in practice too busy to handle investigations themselves, leaving the footwork to their personal retinue* who would round up a posse to make arrests, or call in the army for emergencies. I have also seen references to village wardens, local elites, and household registration systems playing a large role in imperial Chinese law enforcement, but I don't know the details)

*As an aside, after reading the Judge Dee books, I wanted to use it as inspiration for a game, specifically one where the party is the retinue of a similar judge-magistrate type character)
Yeah, that works.

London "thief-takers" strike me as a rather promising party premise too: an actual reason to be having 'encounters' on a nearly daily basis, independence, a target-rich but complex environment, lots of potential for both social and combat encounters... But we're getting off-topic.

junglefowl26

Validated User
Oh you were. I guess I phrased that weird in retrospect, with the still there....soory for the confusion.

Yeah, that works.

London "thief-takers" strike me as a rather promising party premise too: an actual reason to be having 'encounters' on a nearly daily basis, independence, a target-rich but complex environment, lots of potential for both social and combat encounters... But we're getting off-topic.
Ooh, a very interesting idea with a lot of potential, but year a bit off topic.

...Though reading about thief-taker corruption and extortion rackets is giving me some ideas about how a crooked mage's guild might operate....

vitruvian

Validated User

Yeah, that works.

Over in the 'implications of the PHB' thread, the Halfling Rogue who I had founding the city watch in my worked example was very deliberately intended to be an expy of Eugene Vidocq, down to the history of switching sides and/or being a double agent throughout her career - to the point that she might also have founded the local thieves' guild.

EDIT: And somehow that just made me think of something even more apropos to this thread, which is that there could be a lot of kind of incestuous relationships between the mages' guild or other association and certain local governments, beyond even the traditional obvious court wizard. Why, you could even have the alchemist Transmutation Wizard become master of the royal mint, because who better to spot attempts to debase the money supply whether by counterfeiting or too successful transmutation of base metals into gold by alchemy or magic (Isaac Newton), or the Diviner who is also the crown's premier spymaster (John Dee).

Last edited:
Top Bottom