• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

What does Arabian Nights mean to you in gaming?

Second Chances

Validated User
Actually, the word "Assassins" is used only on the covert art. The text uses the word "Batini" (1), if memory serves. In fact, the content is mostly devoid of all the "assassin myth" (i.e. drugged suicide-killer fanatics) stuff, but RPG-wise these guys are still magic users with some (very) slight ninja-action stuff because it's cool. However, they are absolutely NOT the "bad guys", nor "evil cultists" and are absolutely PLAYABLE in a PC party. They are simply a powerfull force in the gameword and they play to win.

(1) my guess is that the word "Assassin" is a better-seller than "Batini" for the average customer.
Heh, that it defintely does! Sounds descent. The Nazaris defintely were experts a guerrilla warfare, so that reasonable for the exact same reasons I give Altair a pass.

Mavarga

Validated User
When it comes to Ars Magica, I am pretty well set -- I playtested a lot of the 5th edition sourcebooks and worked with the author on the 4th edition Blood & Sand supplement. ;)

I am loving all the lines of thought people follow here! I mean, this thread has gotten into discussions of history, literature, folklore, game theory/history, and the like. Even an entry on cuisine! This is my kind of thread :)

My group is now very excited by the upcoming game and I think a couple of them have been peeking into this thread, which is fine as no specific campaign information has appeared in this thread.

I will be looking into several of the titles mentioned here. I will probably also post material about my campaign once it gets running, too, as well as some music links as things come together.

Daz Florp Lebam

Validated User

Moderator Text:

You know piracy is against the rules, but you went and posted the link anyway. Take a day off.
Yikes. Sorry. My apologies. I don't know what I was thinking. Posted from work, so I must not have been thinking clearly.

Lesson learned.

Tanka

We See You
Staff member
Validated User
Yikes. Sorry. My apologies. I don't know what I was thinking. Posted from work, so I must not have been thinking clearly.

Lesson learned.

Moderator Text:

Do not reply to redtext. I'd suggest re-reading the rules, as that has been in them for quite some time.

Ficino

Rascally Rabbit
Validated User
I will be looking into several of the titles mentioned here. I will probably also post material about my campaign once it gets running, too, as well as some music links as things come together.
We'll be looking forward to it!

Merlock

Hé ouais!!
Validated User
When it comes to Ars Magica, I am pretty well set -- I playtested a lot of the 5th edition sourcebooks and worked with the author on the 4th edition Blood & Sand supplement.

I am loving all the lines of thought people follow here! I mean, this thread has gotten into discussions of history, literature, folklore, game theory/history, and the like. Even an entry on cuisine! This is my kind of thread

My group is now very excited by the upcoming game and I think a couple of them have been peeking into this thread, which is fine as no specific campaign information has appeared in this thread.

You, Sir, are a man of taste.

I’m not a scholar in medieval history but I got Ars Magica 3rd edition (French) for my 1994 Christmas. This game definitely triggered my interest for the “Middle-Ages” well beyond the “Castles & Chivalry” cliché (but I still like it)…

I read a lot of books from Philippe Contamine, Régine Pernoud, Jean Verdon, François Icher... I read biographies of François Villon, Louis XI (both from Paul Murray Kendall and Joël Blanchard), Charles V, Du Guesclin… all of them proved amazingly fascinating and a formidable sources of inspiration for my own fantasy-oriented games…

I regret I had not enough time to run into more “Arabian nights”-oriented historical sources, but I have to say that a lot of authors on that very matter are Anglophone and my English is not up enough to read their work…

I also enjoyed this thread and I hope your group will enjoy the game.

And remember: “Arabian nights” is about wonder. Dazzle your players. And have fun.

Daz Florp Lebam

Validated User
Music is essential for me as a GM, just to get me in the mindset of what tone or feel I'm trying to set, let alone the value in cueing something up at the table.

Mavarga

Validated User
I'm getting together a rather eclectic playlist at the moment. Thanks to my brother in law, I have some old field recordings out of Egypt and Morocco from the 1920s of local musicians. Then I have the usual array of traditional music from Turkey, the Middle East, and the Maghreb in general. Add in some Rimskii-Korsakov, some Tchaikovsky, and other "arabesque" classical music writers, some belly dance tunes, a bit of Middle Eastern-inspired EDM, and suchlike and there is a decent mix of strangeness.

I have a pack of visual references which I have handed over to two members of my group who are visual artists who are now pouring it over with great glee.

The set up for the game will be this: all of the characters are refugees from a city that has recently fallen due to great calamity (the exact calamity is TBD, but leaning towards something deeply magical). They will be part of a wider expat community in another city, but with a burning determination to restore their city to its former glory. The land in general will be a fantastic version of the Middle East, with analogues but no direct point-to-point comparisons.

I am leaning towards either using FATE or HeroQuest 2, simply because both the comfort my players have with these systems as well as the wide ranging nature of character creation under them. Both systems also allow a lot of player input into the creation of the world. We like this kind of give and take.

So, I'll probably pop in again in a bit and post about the campaign set up as it takes place over the next couple of weeks.

Top Bottom